Reload this Page >

Moving to Newcastle NSW - Advise

Moving to Newcastle NSW - Advise

Old Feb 6th 2015, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Emma888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Newcastle NSW - Advise

Hi all

Wanting some advise, we are looking to make the big move in a few years to Newcastle NSW. My hubby has family in Gloucester and we have been before and liked it.

We would be looking to rent initially until we find our feet then buy once we have found where we would like to settle. No kids at the moment but we are thinking of this before we come so family get to meet them before we travel over so where we live would need to consider children in terms of childcare etc.

I have researched all the suburbs of Newcastle and some are quite expensive. I don't really want to live in the city as we are not city people we currently live in a tiny village in Yorkshire with moors surrounding us, nice and quiet but close enough to drive to places and we love it.

After my extensive research the following locations pop out at us. Could anyone advise on these areas as its ok researching online but getting reviews from people that live there or have lived there is always better!

Rent - Cessnock, Birmingham Gardens, Kurri Kurri, Maitland, Karuah, Stroud
Buy - Cessnock, Karuah, Beresfield and Tarro, Raymond Terrace, Willamtown, Kurri Kurri, poss Maitland too but depends on prices.

Our budget to rent would be approx $300AUD per week MAX or round about, to buy would be $310000 max as I realise interest rates for mortgages seem higher over there than we pay here. 4 bed house to buy would be ideal for family to stay, 2 or 3 bed to rent. Where is best value for money?

We also have 2 dogs.

Thanks for your help!!
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Newcastle NSW - Advise

What would be your immigration status? I am not a permanent resident and I couldn't even be added to my partners mortgage let alone get one of my own. Even when my bridging visa kicks in when my tourist visa expires in March I won't be able to get a credit card with my own bank.

I live in Brissy so can't help with advice on the areas you mentioned but just wanted to make sure that you're aware that obtaining a mortgage is not straightforward when you're not a PR.

All the best with your plans
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

We will be applying for an permanent residency visa. We can apply for that because my husband is an electrician so it's slightly different to a tourist visa terms I think.
Hope you get yourself sorted soon. It's such a task isn't it! Is your partner an aussie then?
Good luck with everything too
Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma888
We will be applying for an permanent residency visa. We can apply for that because my husband is an electrician so it's slightly different to a tourist visa terms I think.
Hope you get yourself sorted soon. It's such a task isn't it! Is your partner an aussie then?
Good luck with everything too
Awesome. Yes, your visa is certainly going to be different from mine so that's good. My partner is an Aussie so that does make things like obtaining a mortgage possible so our sitch is just fine. Just have to be patient whilst I establish a credit history.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:37 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Maitland and Raymond Terrace - yuck (imo).

Welcome to BE

OK, I have some worries about your plan: you live somewhere beautiful now and you say you love it. Your projected rent and purchase budget is very small and from what I know of the area you are looking at not very nice suburbs.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

What is cessnock like as I have heard mixed reviews? We love the house we are in in the UK. Well i do hubby not so much. Love the area. Don't love the UK anymore though or the weather or outdoor living here which is practically none existent. Hence the need to move. As we are not from aus we have been gathering info and trying to locate where we would want to rent first initially. Problem is we can research things all we like but it's hard when you are not in the same country. I have no ideas what suburbs are nice and not etc. Our currently mortgage is on a 3 bed terrace and is average really. Moving to aus means our payments will increase anyway even at that budget above... but then again mortgage calculators online are not the best. It all depends too on what wage we earn. My hubby is an electrician but would need to do his 1st year there as like training I suppose until he can get his license which means his wage wouldn't be great. Although would be similar to what he earns here. He is on a really good wage here. I am a PA/Exec assistant and can earn a much better wage there than here.

All so complicated haha. Thanks for your reply. Which are not nice suburbs then and why??

Em x