British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving from New Zealand to Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-new-zealand-perth-935513/)

paddy234 Oct 31st 2020 2:14 am

Moving from New Zealand to Perth

Hey guys due to the good news that WA is open i will be moving to Perth from Christchurch just after Christmas to setup while my wife and Son come out a week later. I'm in construction and to be honest i know the heat will be a killer but we are mostly moving to be in a better financial position so my wife can work less and we are able to spend more time together. Perth gives us that and i already have several companies already offering work so i was wondering how do you guys find Perth, how bearable are it's summers? lol, cost of living in relation to wages, what areas to avoid etc. I've already done a good bit of research but i like to hear from as many peoples experiences as possible to have a good understanding of what to expect.

Beoz Oct 31st 2020 5:27 am

Re: Moving from New Zealand to Perth

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 12928335)
Hey guys due to the good news that WA is open i will be moving to Perth from Christchurch just after Christmas to setup while my wife and Son come out a week later. I'm in construction and to be honest i know the heat will be a killer but we are mostly moving to be in a better financial position so my wife can work less and we are able to spend more time together. Perth gives us that and i already have several companies already offering work so i was wondering how do you guys find Perth, how bearable are it's summers? lol, cost of living in relation to wages, what areas to avoid etc. I've already done a good bit of research but i like to hear from as many peoples experiences as possible to have a good understanding of what to expect.

You have said you have some serious financial advatanges by moving to Perth and you are concerned about heat? Aircon, low humidity and the Fremantle Doctor should sort that. It's not that bad in my minimal experience of Perth in summer.

paddy234 Oct 31st 2020 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12928344)
You have said you have some serious financial advatanges by moving to Perth and you are concerned about heat? Aircon, low humidity and the Fremantle Doctor should sort that. It's not that bad in my minimal experience of Perth in summer.

I work outdoors so i'm exposed to the elements continuously so the heat is definitely a concern though i think it is something i'll just have to adjust to

the troubadour Nov 2nd 2020 11:28 pm

Working outdoors most certainly an issue for some. But then again, I recall during 'the boom' many an Irish accent heard when passing building sites , they somehow managed the heat. I guess all the clobber workers wear these days, partly in order to protect from sun, would add to a degree of discomfort.
There does appear to be a housing shortage in Perth. Especially rentals. Hard to work out why with borders closed. I guess few are moving on thus increasing rents substantially. Probably good to be aware of that as a potential issue.

brits1 Nov 3rd 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 12928335)

​​​​​​Most people eventually adapt to weather either by wrapping up or dressing down, my memories of summer in Perth were mainly spent indoors during the heat of the day and the flies...a real pain but we looked forward to the spring, autumn and winter but really did not enjoy the high heat of the summer. My husband's first employment was working outdoors, he's pale skinned and burns easily he just slapped sun block on and wore the correct clothing (he really disliked the high temps though) he use to say it was the price he had to pay for the lifestyle we had...he has since worked in equally hot countries ...it was where the work was and if your outlook it to improve your families lifestyle and Perth is where you know you can definitely do this there... then go for it.

the troubadour Nov 3rd 2020 10:53 pm

I'd imagine a greater issue, perhaps more than the weather, is the precarious nature of the housing industry. It is all very well for artificial state induced incitements to ensure property doesn't crash, but another just how long the game can continue. A somewhat fickle industry that witnessed quite a down turn after the boom at least in Perth, together with falling prices and mortgage stress.
I doubt that there is any certainty. Never quite sure just what is being referred to as 'lifestyle'. Perth most certainly doesn't have outside of warmer weather some unique style of living.

brits1 Nov 4th 2020 10:57 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12930091)
I'd imagine a greater issue, perhaps more than the weather, is the precarious nature of the housing industry. It is all very well for artificial state induced incitements to ensure property doesn't crash, but another just how long the game can continue. A somewhat fickle industry that witnessed quite a down turn after the boom at least in Perth, together with falling prices and mortgage stress.
I doubt that there is any certainty. Never quite sure just what is being referred to as 'lifestyle'. Perth most certainly doesn't have outside of warmer weather some unique style of living.

It seems that WA mainly relies on its natural resources which are a massive bonus to have but when that falters ( whicj it had just before we migrated and also just after we left Australia) it does have a massive knock on effect to other industries and I have seen the effects of this up close with friends who are still struggling today. WA can diverse into many other areas as well but it does not seem to learn a lesson very well which is such a shame as it can also be one of the 'big" states without just relying on natural resources.

paddy234 Nov 6th 2020 7:34 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Just waiting for WA to allow NZ travellers to enter without quarantining like the rest of the country has. Once that is done we can book flights and get things moving. As others have said you acclimatize to the heat, to a point anyway lol. I'm sure the beaches and sunshine will make up for it 🙂