Reload this Page >

Moving money to Oz

Moving money to Oz

Old May 23rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

patmoss is on a distinguished road
Red face Moving money to Oz

Guys,
Our leaving date is almost here!!! We fly to Sydney 4 weeks today!!!
Was wondering if anyone could give us a little advice on transferring money out there. We'd like to leave the money here until the exchange rate is a little better so would need to be able to carry out the transfer from Oz when the time is right. Where can we get the best rate with the least charges and be able to do the transaction remotely (perhaps on the web?) with out our interest rates suffering in the meantime (Looking to move around £120K)?
Your advice and experience would be hugely appreciated!!!

Please help if you can,

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:04 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Moving money to Oz

Originally Posted by patmoss
Guys,
Was wondering if anyone could give us a little advice on transferring money out there. We'd like to leave the money here until the exchange rate is a little better so would need to be able to carry out the transfer from Oz when the time is right. Where can we get the best rate with the least charges and be able to do the transaction remotely (perhaps on the web?) with out our interest rates suffering in the meantime (Looking to move around £120K)?

Please help if you can,

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
Can't help but doing my duty to bump you up for an answer.

Merlot

Old May 23rd 2005, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

syltgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe worth having a word with Commonwealth Bank they also have links with Quantas for cheap migration flights....
Guys,

Please help if you can,

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:01 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

you can search for money transfer in the "search this forum" button on the top right... there will be lots and lots of answers.

In Short. Both of these are recommended and safe.

www.hifx.com - IMPORTANT to register with the australian office before you leave or make sure you've got what you need to register with them once you get here - you have to register int heUK and in AUS seperately.

www.tranzfers.com - I use them here on web, very easy, and you can put money into their account before you want to trade. With HIFX you cant put the money into HIFX accounts until you've setup a trade.

Be careful and think about how you're going to move that money in UK into their banks - normally there are transaction limits eg £2k /day on on-linebanking it'll take you a long time at 2k / day to move 120k£. You can post cheques etc but again remember its 1 week for post from aus to uk .
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

patmoss is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys!!
Old May 24th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Guys,

Please help if you can,

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
I used HIFX to transfer my $100k bond - they were great, couldnt fault them.

SS
Old May 24th 2005, 9:09 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

We set up an authorisation system via fax with HSBC. Not sure but I dont think you can send large sums via internet banking, maybe someone else will know. You could alternatively just send it to me to look after!
ViVi
Old May 24th 2005, 9:19 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I used HIFX to transfer most of our money after we arrived in Oz. I only registered with them in the UK. I called UK-HIFX to arrange the deal and then paid into their account from my account using the "bill payment" option. I was able to confirm the deal through the internet, although this can be done by fax.

Regards
Alistair
Old May 25th 2005, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Sppark is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved in August 2004 and transfered our money with Commonwealth Bank. With that much cash there will be no charge. If you contact the London Branch (just phone) they will sort out an account based in London and then you can transfer the money whenever you like. We got a pretty good rate. You can also transfer the money into the account and hold it in sterling and wait until the rate is better. Anyway it's worth a try, give them a ring and they'll send you all the info.

Guys,

Please help if you can,

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
Old May 25th 2005, 6:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The rules have changed - HIFX in the UK will not trade with you in australia, you have to re-register here and it requires the same level of evidence as in the UK, ie bank statement/passport/residential proof(utility bill etc) - these are things you wll not have handy in the first 4- weeks.