Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:59 am
Just Joined

MaryMac101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Hi
I am new to this, please be patient!
I am moving to Melbourne in approx 3 months with my husband who will be working there, near Mount Waverley.Currently we live in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I have 2 children, both boys, 2.5 yrs and 1yr old. We need to find a property to rent and activities to do throughout the days. Can anyone recommend family friendly areas to live where there will be a good ex pat network?
I work here in the UK as an Occupational Therapist, but will not be working yet in Melbourne as will just be focusing on getting the boys settled in.

I look forward to hearing from you Thanks
Mary
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Originally Posted by MaryMac101
Hi
I am new to this, please be patient!
I am moving to Melbourne in approx 3 months with my husband who will be working there, near Mount Waverley.Currently we live in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I have 2 children, both boys, 2.5 yrs and 1yr old. We need to find a property to rent and activities to do throughout the days. Can anyone recommend family friendly areas to live where there will be a good ex pat network?
I work here in the UK as an Occupational Therapist, but will not be working yet in Melbourne as will just be focusing on getting the boys settled in.

I look forward to hearing from you Thanks
Mary
Hi Mary, you may wish to post in the general Australia section as you might get more responses. There's loads of great places to live within easy distance of Mt Waverley, you could choose some of the Dandenong hills suburbs or some of the beach suburbs, a lot of expats live in both, if expats is who you wish to be living with! It's a great age to move kids - we moved our twin girls at age 2, I wouldn't be so keen on it now they are almost 7.

I recommend you look at www.realestate.com.au for renting in suburbs such as Ferntree Gully, Glen Waverley, Vermont, Blackburn and Wantirna, and if you want beach living the easiest commute to Mt Waverley would be from our area, which is Mordialloc / Parkdale / Aspendale.

HTH

BB
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

MaryMac101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Thanks BB

That is really helpful, I will re post in the general Australia section as well

Thanks again

Mary
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne from UK in 3 months, Have 2 babies keen to meet other mums

Berwick is also an area you might want to consider.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:34 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Hi Mary,
We moved from the UK to Blackburn/Box Hill area and were very happy for the 7 years we lived there. Our son was 7 months old at the time we moved and our daughter was born a year or so later at Monash Medical Centre! I met lots of friendly mums through the maternal and child health nurse - similar to a UK health visitor - and also through preschool programmes. I stayed home for a few years but then worked very part time as a bank nurse in paediatrics at Box Hill hospital and loved it. Generally there seem to be lots of ex-pats in the Eastern suburbs.
Kathy