British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Melbourne in September (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-melbourne-september-926771/)

HandmadeRN Jul 28th 2019 10:40 pm

Moving to Melbourne in September

Hi everyone,

i’m moving to Melbourne in September. It’s kind of happened super fast because whilst i’m British, I also have NZ citizenship so I don’t need to worry about working visas. Now i’m panicking a bit at the thought of downsizing and decluttering all my junk before I move! And getting my head round Australian tax issues.

Does anyone know if you are able to opt out of superannuation payments? I’m not sure if i’ll stay longer than 12 months in Australia and i’ve read that you cannot transfer your superannuation payments if you move abroad and you are a NZ citizen (unless you move to NZ - which I wouldn’t do) this is a bit annoying obviously.

Secondly, I work in healthcare and I read that there are more options for salary packaging in this sector I’m probably not going to get a car but what other things should I use this for or do with?!

Many thanks!

Pollyana Jul 28th 2019 10:49 pm

Re: Moving to Melbourne in September

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12716165)
Hi everyone,

i’m moving to Melbourne in September. It’s kind of happened super fast because whilst i’m British, I also have NZ citizenship so I don’t need to worry about working visas. Now i’m panicking a bit at the thought of downsizing and decluttering all my junk before I move! And getting my head round Australian tax issues.

Does anyone know if you are able to opt out of superannuation payments? I’m not sure if i’ll stay longer than 12 months in Australia and i’ve read that you cannot transfer your superannuation payments if you move abroad and you are a NZ citizen (unless you move to NZ - which I wouldn’t do) this is a bit annoying obviously.

Secondly, I work in healthcare and I read that there are more options for salary packaging in this sector I’m probably not going to get a car but what other things should I use this for or do with?!

Many thanks!

Salary packaging will depend on what your employer allows, but health employers are usually more generous than other public services.

Superannuation isn't optional. Both you and your employer will have to contribute to it.

Amazulu Jul 28th 2019 11:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Many thanks!

Can't opt out of super - even backpackers have to have it

My wife works in the allied health sector and gets salary packaging. She uses it for school fees but I believe there are many other things it can cover

ozzieeagle Jul 29th 2019 5:42 am

Hi everyone,

Many thanks!

Depends on whether you work in the Private or Public sector with the Salary packaging I think. My Wife is a Mental Health Nurse at the Royal Melbourne, we claim our Mortgage payments and a Meal and entertainment allowance. It works out to be probably worth circa 15pct more take home money overall out of her total salary. You will probably find your best claim will be for accomodation rental.

We aren't interested in the car as we live inner city and use mostly public transport. Plus the car leasing terms are so strict, with scheduled services and insurance and fuel built into the costs that it's a no go for us. Personally I cannot see the use of car leasing as salary packaging at all, as it's far cheaper to run a car outside of their schedules.

AFAIK the Public Sector has a far more generous Salary Packaging allowance on account of being a non profit organisation. I do stand to be corrected on that point though.

When you indicate what superfund you join, make sure it's an industry one. The Victorian public Hospitals tend to use First State Super. Long term if you choose a Industry fund you'll find you wont regret it when it comes to retirement age. The ongoing costs are minimal and First State has been running at around 10pct growth over the last 10 to 15 years, way way beyond the ongoing fees.

HandmadeRN Jul 29th 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12716183)
Can't opt out of super - even backpackers have to have it

That's what I thought, thank you for confirming!

HandmadeRN Jul 29th 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12716239)
Depends on whether you work in the Private or Public sector with the Salary packaging I think. My Wife is a Mental Health Nurse at the Royal Melbourne, we claim our Mortgage payments and a Meal and entertainment allowance. It works out to be probably worth circa 15pct more take home money overall out of her total salary. You will probably find your best claim will be for accomodation rental.

We aren't interested in the car as we live inner city and use mostly public transport. Plus the car leasing terms are so strict, with scheduled services and insurance and fuel built into the costs that it's a no go for us. Personally I cannot see the use of car leasing as salary packaging at all, as it's far cheaper to run a car outside of their schedules.

AFAIK the Public Sector has a far more generous Salary Packaging allowance on account of being a non profit organisation. I do stand to be corrected on that point though.

When you indicate what superfund you join, make sure it's an industry one. The Victorian public Hospitals tend to use First State Super. Long term if you choose a Industry fund you'll find you wont regret it when it comes to retirement age. The ongoing costs are minimal and First State has been running at around 10pct growth over the last 10 to 15 years, way way beyond the ongoing fees.

I'm actually starting a job at the Royal Melbourne myself :-) I'm a nurse by background but won't be in a clinical nursing job. Wow, i can't believe you can also get a meal and entertainment allowance?! I reckoned the same about the car as well, thinking if I stuck to living somewhere fairly central then I wouldn't need it. Good to know that you've done the same! So with the superfunds, you get to choose yourself. Is it something that you normally pick and they'll pay into it or will it be that your employer will indicate which superfunds they will pay into and then you pick from their selection?

Thank you all for your advice so far, it's super useful!

NickyC Jul 29th 2019 9:02 am

You decide which super fund you want to use and your employer must pay into it.

It's not a case of you picking one from a list your employer gives you. All employers will have a default super fund they use but you don't have to use that one.

Pollyana Jul 29th 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12716262)
I'm actually starting a job at the Royal Melbourne myself :-) I'm a nurse by background but won't be in a clinical nursing job. Wow, i can't believe you can also get a meal and entertainment allowance?! I reckoned the same about the car as well, thinking if I stuck to living somewhere fairly central then I wouldn't need it. Good to know that you've done the same! So with the superfunds, you get to choose yourself. Is it something that you normally pick and they'll pay into it or will it be that your employer will indicate which superfunds they will pay into and then you pick from their selection?

Thank you all for your advice so far, it's super useful!

The government salary packaging does vary between departments, even within one state. Health are usually very generous - as you can see fro Ozzie' post. I'm in State government in Queensland, and whilst Health here don't get the entertainment package, they do get rent/mortgage packages. My department on the other hand is pretty much restricted to ipads/laptops (if work related), cars and a deal on bus fares(but only to work and back). Far less generous.

ozzieeagle Jul 29th 2019 10:47 pm

If you choose Hostplus, which you are able to, it's akin to having your funds in the top 500 shares either in Australia if you choose that or the US if you choose that option or a combination of both. Long term that is an incredible option.

Google hostplus and check out their top ASX and International share Super fund...

Plus re the Royal Melbourne, if you go on to the Nurses Bank after a while, then you can really earn good money. Check out what your peers are doing first though :)

HandmadeRN Jul 31st 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12716590)
If you choose Hostplus, which you are able to, it's akin to having your funds in the top 500 shares either in Australia if you choose that or the US if you choose that option or a combination of both. Long term that is an incredible option.

Google hostplus and check out their top ASX and International share Super fund...

Plus re the Royal Melbourne, if you go on to the Nurses Bank after a while, then you can really earn good money. Check out what your peers are doing first though :)

Thank you ozzieeagle! I will definitely check out hostplus! I'm tempted to take a look at doing some Bank but my job will pretty full on for the next 12 months and i've not applied for my nursing license in Oz. I'm not sure I'm keen enough to go through the rigmarole of getting my Australian license only to do a few bank shifts :-)

ozzieeagle Aug 2nd 2019 7:01 am

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12717467)
Thank you ozzieeagle! I will definitely check out hostplus! I'm tempted to take a look at doing some Bank but my job will pretty full on for the next 12 months and i've not applied for my nursing license in Oz. I'm not sure I'm keen enough to go through the rigmarole of getting my Australian license only to do a few bank shifts :-)

Best of luck, you'll enjoy the Royal Melbourne I reckon. There's a lot of Irish Nurses there at present, more than usual. Friendly lot and a very good working environment for most.