Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne - poss Inverloch...with teenagers! Any advice?

Moving to Melbourne - poss Inverloch...with teenagers! Any advice?

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Penny72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving to Melbourne - poss Inverloch...with teenagers! Any advice?

I have citizenship by birth right & we are headed to Melbourne for a new life down under in Summer '09. My partner travels to Melbourne 4/5 times a year & knows it well. He thinks Inverloch would suit us - but although I have been to Melbourne a few times, never Inverloch....so I just wanted any opinions....!!
I have a 13 yr old who would obviously need a school - and a 16 yr old who will have just finished GCSE's here by then....starting to feel swamped with it all! Any advice / opinions on the area would be most appreciated!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:10 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne - poss Inverloch...with teenagers! Any advice?

Originally Posted by Penny72
I have citizenship by birth right & we are headed to Melbourne for a new life down under in Summer '09. My partner travels to Melbourne 4/5 times a year & knows it well. He thinks Inverloch would suit us - but although I have been to Melbourne a few times, never Inverloch....so I just wanted any opinions....!!
I have a 13 yr old who would obviously need a school - and a 16 yr old who will have just finished GCSE's here by then....starting to feel swamped with it all! Any advice / opinions on the area would be most appreciated!
Inverloch is a lovely spot (except when it gets absolutely swamped by tourists during Summer of course !). We were just down overnight catching up with friends in Leongatha yesterday. Its about 30 minutes from Inverloch.

I'm assuming the job would be in South Gippsland though ?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I like Inverloch and I love South Gippsland but I am retired. In fact my friends were just discussing with me yesterday that we should all sell up and move to Foster as its great for oldies.

Inverloch is not far from Wonthaggie which is a largish town, not that far from the outskirts of Melbourne area. Of course not far to me is probably a long way to you.

If its for work and you have jobs there then I guess the nearer you live the better. For your children its country area, country farm kids and there would be surfing, swimming and fishing, horse riding etc. It depends what they are in to. However most young people want the city I find.

We live on the Mornington Peninsula which gives us the best of both worlds, country and city.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Lovely friendly town/village with much shut down when the tourist season ends though always lovely to visit, it's very much a holiday spot for people from Melbourne.

I was talking to a teenager working in the supermarket a few months ago and she was excited about leaving for the big city but... she had lived there all her life.

I'd describe it more as Summer Bay (though not as hot) than Ramsey Street if that helps.