Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne in November

Moving to Melbourne in November

Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Smile Moving to Melbourne in November

Hi
It has been really interesting and useful to read so many of the posts since finding BE a few weeks ago. Decided it was time to add our own 1st post. The 1st of many I hope.
We are less than 7 weeks away from the big move to Melbourne. Like many it has been in the planning for the last couple of years. Visas took a while but were not too painful as Julie had lived in Oz for years when she was younger, but unfortunately had never taken citizenship. The house is sold, our belongings are at sea, well most of them due to a big under-estimate by the shippers (Sterling). Some is still in their warehouse while we haggle over the price of a separate shipment.
Last year we went out to validate the visas, a cost we could have done without, but it gave us a chance to have a good look at Melbourne. During previous trips there we had never really looked at it as a place to settle. Needless to say we liked what we saw.
School for our oldest (10) is sorted, we have a furnished rental for a month through Australia Home Away who we used last year. They seem to be cheaper than anyone else, $465 pw for a 2 bedroom furnished unit in Armadale, and have been very helpful.
http://www.australianhomeaway.com
We are flying out with Emirates via Singapore and Brisbane. Catching up with friends on the Sunshine Coast before driving down to Sydney and flying on to Melbourne. A holiday en route seemed a good idea. It is a shame the visa validation trip put paid to the chance to get the double migrant baggage allowance when we really need it. There are some great one way deals out there. Thanks to some info. in previous posts we managed to get the 4 of us to Brisbane for £1488.
Does anyone know why they insist on validating the visas so soon after they are granted? We had just over 4 months from when we got the approval.
No job yet, but I am beginning to ramp up my efforts now the house is sold. I hope they don't think 46 is too old. Still I am very positive about it all.
I think the biggest result is for our 10 yr old, who after one summer holiday here and about a month off in November, gets a 2nd summer holiday. If that is not enough, I hear they get 2 weeks off for the Commonwealth games.
I think that is enough for now. I am always happy to answer questions and will start to contribute when I can get my turn.
Summer here we come.
DJMA
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:26 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne in November

Wow! You sound really organised and chilled!

Good luck to you all in your new life....I am so jealous you will be in Melbourne for the Commonwealth games! Please keep posting to keep us updated with your progress.

Best wishes.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:32 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.
Look forward to reading some more about your experiences.
Julie
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

Wow you have really put in the hard work. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy hey.
What field of work are you looking for?
Are the kids excited?
I am surprised to hear about only 4 months to validate. We had a year on ours but that was 2 years ago. Maybe it's standard now or dependant on what type of visa you have. Puts the pressure on to sell the house mind if you can't afford a validation trip.

All the best with everything and I look forward to sending you a Melbourne welcome very soon.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:30 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJMA
Hi

Does anyone know why they insist on validating the visas so soon after they are granted? We had just over 4 months from when we got the approval.
DJMA
Because they work the validating date one year from the medicals or police check whichever is the earliest - which is why sending them before being asked can be a pain if they do not get round to doing your visa.

Enjoy your trip down and over
Old Sep 20th 2005, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DJMA
I think the biggest result is for our 10 yr old, who after one summer holiday here and about a month off in November, gets a 2nd summer holiday. If that is not enough, I hear they get 2 weeks off for the Commonwealth games.

DJMA
What they've done this year is move the school holidays so that they coincide with the Commonwealth Games.

Regards