Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne and needing furnished rental.

Moving to Melbourne and needing furnished rental.

Old May 3rd 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

willwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Melbourne and needing furnished rental.

Hi everyone we are heading out to Melbourne in the next 4-6 weeks and have been struggling to find a furnished rental that we can book from the uk. Anybody have any ideas on where to look as most seem to want you to rent for minimum of 3 to 6 months. Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne and needing furnished rental.

Originally Posted by willwoms
Hi everyone we are heading out to Melbourne in the next 4-6 weeks and have been struggling to find a furnished rental that we can book from the uk. Anybody have any ideas on where to look as most seem to want you to rent for minimum of 3 to 6 months. Thanks.
Hi, I have sent you a private message. You will need 3 posts before you can PM me back I think.

BB
Old May 4th 2011, 5:44 am
Just Joined

willwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant futurewillwoms has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne and needing furnished rental.

I havent got the pm as it says i need 3 posts i will get 3 posts up and will u pm me again.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:07 pm
Florist in Melbourne

ciocan76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buzzy, please give me some details on PM.
Thank you.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:51 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

www.stayz.com.au

www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/

www.lastminute.com.au

plus of course mine or Buzzys place

Gumtree also has accomodation, but have heard in many cases you need to be cautious of ficticious ads aimed at backpackers & new arrivals.

The longer you stay in furnished short term accomodation, the more bargaining power you have generally.

Kates site, moving to melbourne gives a diverse selection of places all around Melbourne, and most are run by expats themselves, so have all been through the move themselves

Depending on where and how many a place can sleep, you will be looking at anything between $400 & $1000 a week.
Old May 10th 2011, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willwoms
We stayed in a caravan site when we first arrived, sounds awful, but it was a lovely site with pool, like a holiday, cost around 100 bucks a day though, I've heard of a few peeps usuing the B4 parks when they arrive, infact i think Buzzy did that, so he may be able to give you some info on them. Think there is one near the airport.

Last edited by Margaret3; May 10th 2011 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:12 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We stayed in a caravan site when we first arrived, sounds awful, but it was a lovely site with pool, like a holiday, cost around 100 bucks a day though, I've heard of a few peeps usuing the B4 parks when they arrive, infact i think Buzzy did that, so he may be able to give you some info on them. Think there is one near the airport.
We did the same and it was awful.Winter and the van leaked like a sieve.Hard going with a 2 year old and a 2 month old baby.Things we do eh?
Old May 15th 2011, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukecadet
We did the same and it was awful.Winter and the van leaked like a sieve.Hard going with a 2 year old and a 2 month old baby.Things we do eh?
sounds orrible, we were lucky, our caravan was more of a kabin really and certainly alot nicer and warmer than our first rental
Old May 15th 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

You can hire cabins, which are great for short term cheap accomodation.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough

We'll possibly be looking for short term accomodation in Sept / Oct, so the moving to melbourne website linked in one of these posts has just proved to be incredibly useful for me

Looks like my wife's company would like her / us to relocate to Melbourne, this has only come about in the last couple of weeks so we're currently trying to learn as much as possible from sites like this, it's all happened a bit quickly !

The rental accomodation does seem a minefield, especially when you have a pet (springer spaniel) to bring out as well. Finding a place that'll accept pets is proving to be 'interesting' to say the least....

Mike