Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne from Ireland

Moving to Melbourne from Ireland

Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:45 am
Just Joined

P and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really nice
Default Moving to Melbourne from Ireland

Hi all,

We are hoping to move from Ireland to Melbourne.

Even though I have an Aunt there, the AOS was a problem as she is retired..so.

My partner has been hunting work, and has been offered a job in her industry (Pharma) in Melbourne. I'm in IT. Experienced but unqualified.

I hope to go on her coat tails as a spouse, but I'm worried now as to VISA timelines.

Her current work demands 3 months notice, and her prospective new employers are cool with that, but do you guys think it will take longer for her to get the correct employer sponsored VISA?

As for our 2 cats, OMG, thats gonna be the worst bit I think !

Any advice appreciated

P and M
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne from Ireland

P and M, sent you a pm
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:55 am
Just Joined

P and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really nice

PM recieved

P and M
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P and M
Hi all,

My partner has been hunting work, and has been offered a job in her industry (Pharma) in Melbourne. I'm in IT. Experienced but unqualified.

I hope to go on her coat tails as a spouse, but I'm worried now as to VISA timelines.

Her current work demands 3 months notice, and her prospective new employers are cool with that, but do you guys think it will take longer for her to get the correct employer sponsored VISA?

Any advice appreciated

P and M
Can't help with your questions, but just wanted to say best of luck with it all.... The cats will be fine. We brought our dog over from Galway, so I know how stressful it can be. Michelle x
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated

P and M
We are moving from Ireland to Melbourne and are using Marks retired aunt as a sponsor with no problems.

Re the visa part, if your going on an employer sponsored visa then have a look at the immigration forum for an idea of timelines.

Trish
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated

P and M
Have you tried the Irish-Oz forum. There is a few there heading out to Melbourne.
The address is: http://avs.17.forumer.com/

Sandra
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sandav
Have you tried the Irish-Oz forum. There is a few there heading out to Melbourne.
The address is: http://avs.17.forumer.com/

Sandra
Another one here moving from Galway to Melbourne in just under 7 weeks

Are you looking to go out on the 457 visa?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to BE. We are also moving from Ireland to Melbourne. Best of luck with the venture.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the suggestions and good wishes.

We are about to process the 457 VISA.

Is it better to do the Xrays and Garda checks asap?

Regarding the Garda check, is it true it can be handled in a local Garda station, no need to go through Thurles Data Centre?

Thanks in advance

P and M
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Regarding the Garda check, is it true it can be handled in a local Garda station, no need to go through Thurles Data Centre?
Yes (for the 136 anyway and I presume it's the same).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the suggestions and good wishes.

We are about to process the 457 VISA.

Is it better to do the Xrays and Garda checks asap?

Thanks in advance

P and M
Why aren't you applying for a PR visa?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance

P and M
No - your Garda check will HAVE to go through Thurles.

All you need do is go to your Garda Station with a typed sheet listing the addresses you have lived at for 12 months or more in Ireland during the last 10 years. Bring your passport so they can identify you and a bill in your name for proof of address.

There is usually one officer in most stations allocated to deal with this type of enquiry and they will look after the paperwork side of things for you.

They will fill out the necessary forms and send everything to Thurles for central vetting and for criminal records. Once this is done Thurles will return docs to your local station who will then check your details on their PULSE system. Once this is done you will get your pcc's back.

Trish
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Why aren't you applying for a PR visa?
Hi guys,

Pretty much because my OH needs to give 3 months notice here, which she wont be doing till VISA is approved, so I guess the time scale involved would screw up her job offer

P and M
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scrum
No - your Garda check will HAVE to go through Thurles.

All you need do is go to your Garda Station with a typed sheet listing the addresses you have lived at for 12 months or more in Ireland during the last 10 years. Bring your passport so they can identify you and a bill in your name for proof of address.

There is usually one officer in most stations allocated to deal with this type of enquiry and they will look after the paperwork side of things for you.

They will fill out the necessary forms and send everything to Thurles for central vetting and for criminal records. Once this is done Thurles will return docs to your local station who will then check your details on their PULSE system. Once this is done you will get your pcc's back.

Trish
HI Trish,

Called our local station to today to be told to write to Thurles and request forms etc, then I log on to garda website, where it states, the data protection act does not provide character certs !

So I called round to station tonight, and met a nice garda who verbalised the letter we need to write to the Superintendant in each place we have lived in last five years.

After that I'm not sure what they do with them.

I think its time they tied this down to a formal procedure, without this forum I can only imagine the time it would have taken !!

Cheers

P and M
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

You dont need to go through Thurles at all. We rang Thurles when we were doing ours as Garda at local station said we had to go through there. But they said no it is the local one that deals with it, they deal with vetting for anyone working in childcare. We finally got a Garda at the local station who knew what we were talking about and had police check back in 5 days. They do it at the station unless you have been very bad, then they send it to Harcourt St.
Ask for a Superintendent if the Garda at the desk doesn't know. Tell them you need a Police Clearance for an Australian Visa.

Sandra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.