Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne - help please

Moving to Melbourne - help please

Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:21 am
Just Joined

higgy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nice
Default Moving to Melbourne - help please

Well, just joined the site and can't quite work out what it's for and where to post, but I'll give it a go!

Moving to Melbourne in Oct/Nov (depending on whether current boss will let go early!) and wanted to know best sites etc to find out where to live, meet people, play etc etc. Any recommendations?

cheers
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne - help please

Originally Posted by higgy13
Well, just joined the site and can't quite work out what it's for and where to post, but I'll give it a go!

Moving to Melbourne in Oct/Nov (depending on whether current boss will let go early!) and wanted to know best sites etc to find out where to live, meet people, play etc etc. Any recommendations?

cheers

This site is brilliant but you might find this site http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx a bit more helpful as it is aimed purely at people moving to Victoria!
Good luck
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:25 am
Just Joined

higgy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nicehiggy13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppett44
This site is brilliant but you might find this site http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx a bit more helpful as it is aimed purely at people moving to Victoria!
Good luck
Thanks - I have tried them but was having problems registering, but I'll persevere since it comes recommended
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:27 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
Hell, depends what you want really..

Carl and I live in Elsternwick....8 kms from the CBD, 3 from a nice beach - and Elsternwick itself is a busy community, with quiet residential roads.
Great transport system when you don't want to drive.

Don't know if you have kids...we don't, but Carl works within the education system ( he posts as Shakmaty) - PM either of us if you want specific info

Cas
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CasG
Hell, depends what you want really..

Carl and I live in Elsternwick....8 kms from the CBD, 3 from a nice beach - and Elsternwick itself is a busy community, with quiet residential roads.
Great transport system when you don't want to drive.

Don't know if you have kids...we don't, but Carl works within the education system ( he posts as Shakmaty) - PM either of us if you want specific info

Cas
I'll be working in Port Melbourne and I'm single, so looking for somewhere fairly central with good nightlife. I liked the idea of St Kilda as it's close to the city and near the sea. I could probably afford up to $300 p/w in rent and would be looking for a 2 bed (suddenly have lots of friends who will want to visit!). But mymain interest it to be near bars, restaurants so I can meet people and make a new circle of friends
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:37 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be working in Port Melbourne and I'm single, so looking for somewhere fairly central with good nightlife. I liked the idea of St Kilda as it's close to the city and near the sea. I could probably afford up to $300 p/w in rent and would be looking for a 2 bed (suddenly have lots of friends who will want to visit!). But mymain interest it to be near bars, restaurants so I can meet people and make a new circle of friends
St Kilda is great - great nightlife...everything you mentioned...go to it a lot, as only up the road from us. You been before?

$300 won't get you a great 2 bd in St K - but not too bad.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:38 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Malvern is nice

Glenferrie road is full of cafes and restaurants. My cousin has just moved in up the road and is sharing a 2 bed modern apartment for $450 per week ($225 each) with a girlfriend. She is in her late 20's and very much into the Melbourne night life. You also cant help but run into people in Melbourne

Kiwi
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CasG
St Kilda is great - great nightlife...everything you mentioned...go to it a lot, as only up the road from us. You been before?

$300 won't get you a great 2 bd in St K - but not too bad.
I visited in January (at that time had no idea I'd end up getting a job there)and went to St Kilda for a day. Didn't experience it at night as I was only in Melbourne for a few days and had to fit a lot in.

I noticed most places for rent were unfurnished, so I guess I'll have to lease furniture
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Try www.gumtree.com.au - then click on Melbourne on the list of gumtrees on the right.
This has flat/house shares, non-share flats and houses plus a community section where people place ads regarding sports/community clubs, travel buddies wanted etc.
If there's nothing to suit you, then place an ad saying you'll be new to town and would like to meet up with people for drinks etc. That's quite a normal thing to do on there!
Has other sections as well such as stuff for sale etc which could be useful when you get there.
Hope that helps
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thebears
Malvern is nice

Glenferrie road is full of cafes and restaurants. My cousin has just moved in up the road and is sharing a 2 bed modern apartment for $450 per week ($225 each) with a girlfriend. She is in her late 20's and very much into the Melbourne night life. You also cant help but run into people in Melbourne

Kiwi
Thanks. Whereabouts is Malvern? is it easy distance to Port Melbourne? I'm looking at living alone, so might have to up my budget a bit. Either way it'll be less than the $500 p/w I have to pay here in London!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Try www.gumtree.com.au - then click on Melbourne on the list of gumtrees on the right.
This has flat/house shares, non-share flats and houses plus a community section where people place ads regarding sports/community clubs, travel buddies wanted etc.
If there's nothing to suit you, then place an ad saying you'll be new to town and would like to meet up with people for drinks etc. That's quite a normal thing to do on there!
Has other sections as well such as stuff for sale etc which could be useful when you get there.
Hope that helps
thanks - I'll take a look
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Look at other inner city areas such as Prahran, Richmond, Fitzroy, Carlton. All very very cool, with loads of cafes, bars, live music etc.
You can walk to St Kilda from the Windsor end of Prahran, while Richmond is only a short tram ride away from St Kilda.
Fitzroy and Carlton are on the edge of the city too so not far away from beaches and all the other inner city areas
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:52 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Whereabouts is Malvern? is it easy distance to Port Melbourne? I'm looking at living alone, so might have to up my budget a bit. Either way it'll be less than the $500 p/w I have to pay here in London!
http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getDi...o?nref=homeDir

This site will help you get aquainted but for rental etc look at Domain.com and spend some time viewing Seek.com and Theage.com
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:53 am
Just Joined

johnyardley is an unknown quantity at this point

"Higgy"
Gemma and I will be moving at the same time as you to Melbourne so maybe we could share info.

Best wishes

John
N.B We live near Loughborough in Leicestershire
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnyardley
"Higgy"
Gemma and I will be moving at the same time as you to Melbourne so maybe we could share info.

Best wishes

John
N.B We live near Loughborough in Leicestershire
Absolutely, I'll make sure I let you know anything I find out. Only got offered the job yesterday so it's all a bit surreal! Is it a permanent relocation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.