Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne Fingers Crossed!

Moving to Melbourne Fingers Crossed!

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

jo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nicejo78 is just really nice
Default Moving to Melbourne Fingers Crossed!

Hey everyone - have not been on this site for 12 months since my move from the UK to Mackay (bad i know) but now i need advice again
am thinking of relocating from mackay, QLD to melbourne with my job - based in the CBD and am currently trawling through the extensive list of places to rent on realstate.com - exhausting to say the least so i need some tips to narrow down my search!

im looking at St Kilda as i have been told thats the place to be....but also fancied carlton or even the CBD

some info about me and my fella that may help the advice

im 30 and he is 26, im a solicitor and he is a teacher, no kids and enjoying eating out, going for coffee, bars, - basically enjoying life before kids come along!! i will be working in the CBD so public transport if living out will be a must as i will probably sell my car when i get down there.

we currently pay $520 for a 4 bed house here in mackay but not really bothered about having all that space down in VIC - an apartment would be ok

outdoor space? ideally would like some...so an apartment may not be ideal unles sit had a good sized balcony

so come on guys hit me with the advice!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne Fingers Crossed!

Just wanted to say that Melbourne is a fantastic place to live..we live in Eastern sububs..but have kids..been here 18 mths and wouldn't look back! Just wanted to be the first to say good luck x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:03 pm
ddb
Forum Regular

ddb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jo78 View Post
Hey everyone - have not been on this site for 12 months since my move from the UK to Mackay (bad i know) but now i need advice again
am thinking of relocating from mackay, QLD to melbourne with my job - based in the CBD and am currently trawling through the extensive list of places to rent on realstate.com - exhausting to say the least so i need some tips to narrow down my search!

im looking at St Kilda as i have been told thats the place to be....but also fancied carlton or even the CBD

im 30 and he is 26, im a solicitor and he is a teacher, no kids and enjoying eating out, going for coffee, bars, - basically enjoying life before kids come along!! i will be working in the CBD so public transport if living out will be a must as i will probably sell my car when i get down there.

we currently pay $520 for a 4 bed house here in mackay but not really bothered about having all that space down in VIC - an apartment would be ok

outdoor space? ideally would like some...so an apartment may not be ideal unles sit had a good sized balcony

Check this out:

http://www.cityhobo.com/

Basically a comparison between Sydney & Melbourne but even then quite useful if you are planning to move to Melbourne.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:50 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

St Kilda is ok for some but I don't think i would fancy living there due to the drug scene and red light district - also the transport into the city is not as good as other places.

I would look at South Yarra - train station and trams into town - St Kilda Road has some very nice apartments and again easy access to St Kilda, South Yarra and CBD.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Southbank, Docklands, Richmond, South Yarra, all areas with lots of professional younger people like you.

If you worked in the city and lived at Southbank then you could walk to work.

East Melbourne you could walk as well.

Fitzroy and Carlton are also popular.

I lived in Elwood before I was married loved it and walking distance to Acland Street. Very easy commute to the city. Used to take the bus and light rail only thirty minutes.

South Melbourne, Port Melbourne are other spots you might take a look at.

Further afield Williamstown is popular.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jo78 View Post

OH company have put us up in an apaartment in Carlton and it is a fab area.
Plenty of eating places(little Italy) and a great park at the museum.
Out of our balcony window we can see loads of small houses with gardens and you can walk to the centre in approx 5-10 mins (I've got a 7yr old so it takes a bit longer)

Maggi
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:46 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

What they all said. St Kilda is great for the young grungy lifestyle, but is frequented by homeless drunks. At least it is when Fraser and I can't find the car

Seriously, if I didn't have kids and I was working in the CBD I would consider living in or around Southbank. Lets face it, if your 30 now and plan on having kids at some point were talking about the next few years so this wouldn't be a permanent relocation to funville. I would pay to rent on Southbank and live the walkt to work, party downstairs and crawl into the lift to bed lifestyle until those hormones start to kick in. Then consider moving out further to some place more kid friendly (Bayside or further afield).

Al