Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Melbourne to Cairns

Moving from Melbourne to Cairns

Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

JayB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving from Melbourne to Cairns

Thanks, I think the price of groceries is high all over Australia now, just think that's common in this country. Guess like you say distribution costs have to be taken into account so hence more remote places pay more. From the sounds of talking to friends in the UK its going up there too, what isn't going up it seems.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 65 million
Thank you so much!, will do when we get there. Have been speaking to Centrelink though and because we will sell our house move over with some cash and give up a job they will penalise us with 22 weeks without any benefit help I don't want to live on benefits but we'd need the help while we are settling in and finding work etc. Not sure where we go from here?
You need to look very closely at the realities of the current job market in Cairns. It is not good generally but obviously will vary depending on your career.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Yep we don't expect to have careers in Cairns, we are quite willing to do pretty much anything. I would be happy working in a hotel, on reception, event planning that sort of thing, to be honest, we have found it hard getting work in Melbourne, I think the ozzies get first refusal on pretty much all the jobs here, it isn't easy getting work unless your a tradie, that's the way to go in OZ. I think for us we would be happy to try a new skill, just need to be given the opportunity.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:33 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently unemployment up here is at a high of 13% at the moment. Unless the good luck gods smile down upon you, things are very difficult around here right now. I would be wary of moving up here without jobs to go to in the current climate. Hopefully things will pick up but they might not any time soon.

Man, I'm not normally this gloomy
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Yeah thanks, I guess its pretty hard to get a job up there anytime but especially recently, what do you guys who live up there do for a living, would be interested to know, and did you get work OK or did you struggle to get one of those rare jobs!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I work as a nurse & had a job before we moved. My OH was unemployed for 6 months & took a job in Townsville & travelled back at weekends for several months until he was lucky to get a transfer to Cairns. He is a retail manager.
This was two years ago & the situation is far worse now. As SOB says, unemployment has risen sharply in the last couple of months & is now sitting at 13%, the worst in the country. What that figure does not tell you is the high number of people who have already left in order to seek work. I don't wish to rain on your parade, but you need to be realistic about job prospects. I know several people who are out of work & desperately applying for anything & everything without success. It is very hard for people up here at the moment.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I work here as a nurse too.

Cairns has the highest unemployment rate in the country right now and the local economy is literally unravelling. Good luck with finding work is all I can say...
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Wish I had been a nurse! A good profession to be in for moving anywhere in the world, never going to be an over supply of them! Well looks like the move is best left on hold for a while if things are so bad, we are lucky to live in a beautiful coastal town in Victoria so hope maybe one day in the future we will move up there.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JayB
Wish I had been a nurse! A good profession to be in for moving anywhere in the world, never going to be an over supply of them! Well looks like the move is best left on hold for a while if things are so bad, we are lucky to live in a beautiful coastal town in Victoria so hope maybe one day in the future we will move up there.
I think this is a good decision at the moment but it certainly does not mean you should give up the dream. Things will improve again eventually but I suspect it may get worse before it gets better & it is certainly going to take some time.