Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Melbourne to Brisbane ...

Moving from Melbourne to Brisbane ...

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

weenie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Melbourne to Brisbane ...

Hi, haven't posted here in years, as migrated from uk 7yrs ago! We've been living in Melbourne since we migrated, and now have a three yr old boy. Whilst there are many things we love about Melbourne - friends, beaches (SE suburbs), cafes etc, the house prices where we'd like to continue living are unreachable for us, when we compare to Brisbane Bayside Redlands, where a friend of DH lives with his family, it seems much more achievable to buy a three bed house?

We're also sick of melbournes unpredictable weather, and cold winters with crap heating.

I'd love to hear of other people that have moved from Melbourne to brissie, and how you found the transition? Comparisons?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving from Melbourne to Brisbane ...

Also forgot to mention allergies are another reason, we both suffer terrible terrible hay fever in Melbourne ..
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your move.

Hope you get some good information.

I can understand completely what you are saying in regard to the weather / heating.

Do you know what is causing the allergies? Might be worth getting some tests done in case you are moving to an area that could make it worse.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou!

All we know with regard to hay fever, is exactly when it starts and finishes each year oct - late Dec usually. We've been to GC on holiday during this time and hay fever almost diminished during our week away

Didn't know there were tests that we could do, but worth looking into for sure, thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weenie
Hi, haven't posted here in years, as migrated from uk 7yrs ago! We've been living in Melbourne since we migrated, and now have a three yr old boy. Whilst there are many things we love about Melbourne - friends, beaches (SE suburbs), cafes etc, the house prices where we'd like to continue living are unreachable for us, when we compare to Brisbane Bayside Redlands, where a friend of DH lives with his family, it seems much more achievable to buy a three bed house?

We're also sick of melbournes unpredictable weather, and cold winters with crap heating.

I'd love to hear of other people that have moved from Melbourne to brissie, and how you found the transition? Comparisons?
We did but it was some years ago. Reason was partners work in construction and he's never been short of projects since. Often prices work interstate, but for him the big money has been up here.

We lived in Woody Point, which is on that peninsular. It is seriously cheap compared to a very very similar area in melbourne. At the time we bought the house in Woody Point, waterfront - around 500K we would have paid treble that in melbourne. I know melb well, partner is actually from there and FIL still lives there. His parents at the time, were sure we were having them on what we paid

Train line into the area has been approved and govt funded. The new bridge across the water has been open a while.

There is LOADS to do in that area, from restaurants to QLDS biggest shopping centre, beaches, parks, bike paths, lagoons, water sports, even olympic size ice skating rink in a 15 mins drive.

Prices are serioulsy cheap in qld right now, Anna Bligh convinced everyone the state had washed away, that area wasnt even affected by the floods. Good time to buy and if you are used to the very similar Melb bayside areas you would probably have to pinch yourself at the prices

Weather in winter is sunny days, low 20's at night you need a jumper, odd chllly night, but rare, it would make news if it went under 10C.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weenie
Thankyou!

All we know with regard to hay fever, is exactly when it starts and finishes each year oct - late Dec usually. We've been to GC on holiday during this time and hay fever almost diminished during our week away

Didn't know there were tests that we could do, but worth looking into for sure, thanks.
Lots of simple tests that can be done to narrow down what's causing it, whether its just pollen, what type of pollen etc. - check with a GP; you might even find something on the Gold Coast could trigger it off at a different time of year. My hayfever is horrendous in Brisbane, but hardly bothers me in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You could check the pollen count in Brisbane papers and compare with the pollen count in Melbourne each day.

My best friend moved to Brisbane 13 years ago, aussie, she has spent the last 13 years telling me she is moving back every year, oh always has an excuse not to

I do think that asthma and hay fever are on the rise everywhere in the world today with the pollution etc.

I get it when we go up country near the canola fields when they are in bloom.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice folks, really appreciate it. Woody Point sounds like a nice spot!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:26 am
Just Joined

manchesterjen will become famous soon enoughmanchesterjen will become famous soon enough

It doesn't really matter where you move from - it's always going to be a good move to Brisbane. Even better if you move to the Sunshine Coast.