British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   moving to melbourne? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-melbourne-681279/)

halfcamoflauge Aug 15th 2010 8:57 am

moving to melbourne?

Hi just wondered which suburbs you live in, why you chose that place and if you're happy there, we're still debating whereabouts to move to, we have mount wavery, rowville, carrum and berwick in mind. Need a nice town with families and good schools both primary and secondary .
It would be nice to read yr comments. xx:)

MaCCCa Aug 15th 2010 9:08 am

Re: moving to melbourne?

We are moving to Ferntree Gully at end of Oct. We are living with the sis inlaw for a while and hope to settle around that area. She loves the area. Having visited the area its fantastic. Knox been the local Mall which is nice and big. Plenty of good secondary schools around that area too - it is also pretty close to the areas you mentioned above. We have opted for Wantirna School although still waiting to see if there's a spot for a 14 year old!

Buzzy--Bee Aug 15th 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge (Post 8778253)
Hi just wondered which suburbs you live in, why you chose that place and if you're happy there, we're still debating whereabouts to move to, we have mount wavery, rowville, carrum and berwick in mind. Need a nice town with families and good schools both primary and secondary .
It would be nice to read yr comments. xx:)

All those places are reasonable, although as mentioned in your previous thread I don't think Carrum has good schools.

We live on the border of Mordialloc and Parkdale, Mordialloc has rather average schools and Parkdale has quite good ones.

We've been here 3 years, we chose it as it is on the beach, a good family area within commuting distance of the city. Very happy here thanks for asking.

BB

Petals Aug 17th 2010 2:01 am

We live on the Mornington Peninsula and love it close to the beaches, get a seat on the train to the city. We originally bought here to live for a few years and return to the city when the children got older but we loved it so much we just stayed and could not think of anywhere better to live.

halfcamoflauge Aug 18th 2010 9:03 pm

We are going to be looking up the Mornington pinsular as it seems so many english want to move there or mt eliza and mt martha, what are the schools (prim & sec) like in the mornington pin? Are there any places to avoid in this area as well?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Deancm_MKII Aug 19th 2010 12:53 am

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8778271)
We are moving to Ferntree Gully at end of Oct. We are living with the sis inlaw for a while and hope to settle around that area. She loves the area. Having visited the area its fantastic. Knox been the local Mall which is nice and big. Plenty of good secondary schools around that area too - it is also pretty close to the areas you mentioned above. We have opted for Wantirna School although still waiting to see if there's a spot for a 14 year old!

I lived in Knox for many, many years and I could not think of a more boring place to live. There is absolutely bugger all to do and Knox City shopping centre is an absolute shithole of a place.

All the teenagers in Knox seem to do is hang around the shopping centre as there's nothing for them to do.

Lily77cat Aug 19th 2010 12:58 am

the mornington peninsula? do you work in the city? how long does it take to get in by train?
cheers

Petals Aug 20th 2010 10:14 pm

We worked close to home about 20 - 30 mins drive, however people do commute to the city but its over an hour on the train when you take into account driving to Frankston parking the car getting on the train etc.

Personally if I was working in the CBD I would try to get a little closer to my work place as its all about time at home in the long run.:D

jedly1 Aug 21st 2010 2:38 am

we are out on the peninsula also, at the top though in Mt Eliza... best of all worlds for us but the choice was really governed by finding a school we liked (peninsula school) -0 the school was the big part in our move and we could be more delighted how it has worked out

close enough to the city (45m-1hr is close by oz standards) and close enough to wine area but next to our own quiet beaches ... near the tourist peninsula but sort of separate from it so don't get over run in summer.