British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-melbourne-553221/)

Neal_and_Tanya Aug 4th 2008 8:01 pm

Moving to Melbourne

Hi!
I have just been offered a job as a recruitment consultant in Melbourne on a 457 visa (chest x-ray tomorrow so fingers crossed!). My girlfriend is coming across on a working holiday visa and then hoping to find sponsorship herself. If not then we will have her added to my visa.

We are coming across at the end of September and anything you feel would be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Neal and Tanya
x

Petals Aug 4th 2008 8:15 pm

Re: Moving to Melbourne

If you are going to be working in the city centre you can live really close by in Melbourne City itself in the Docklands Area or Southbank. Port Melbourne is close by and near the bay as is South Melbourne. East Melbourne you can walk to work very easily or get the tram. Richmond, South Yarra. I am guessing you are younger so would like to be where there is a lot of night life. Use Google world to have a look at the city and also look at realestate.com.au and domain.com.au to get an idea of apartments available.

If you lived further out you would have to rely on public transport which is heavily used these days due to the petrol price, or take your own car and if car parking is not provided by your employer you would need to pay an average of $12.00 a day to park. Could be more could be less depending where you park.

It will still be cool in September and we are having a cold winter this year so bring some warm clothing.

When looking for accommodation make sure it has heating and cooling as it gets very hot in the summer and living near the city is hotter so you do need aircon.

Good luck

Neal_and_Tanya Aug 4th 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for that. I am in the lucky position of having spent a year in Oz after graduating Uni so have a bit of knowledge of areas etc. I am 27 and Tanya 23 so definitely looking somewhere with good social scene. At the minute St Kilda/Bayside are big favorites for us.
An rest assured even if it is a cold winter it is probably better than the summer we are having in Edinburgh!!!

Chief1980 Aug 4th 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Neal_and_Tanya (Post 6645339)

An rest assured even if it is a cold winter it is probably better than the summer we are having in Edinburgh!!!

Or Ireland!!!!! To be honest where u should look at to live has to be dictated by ur budget and whats available at the time. For best value don't be afraid to move out to the burbs, public transport is excellent in Melb.

As mentioned above realestate.com.au or something similar will give u a good idea.

Best of luck.

Disco01 Aug 4th 2008 10:57 pm

This is my first Melbourne winter and if this is a cold one then I am shocked!! :confused:

Petals Aug 4th 2008 11:33 pm

Its way too cold for me this year. Can't wait for spring. :D

andy thomas Aug 5th 2008 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Neal_and_Tanya (Post 6645281)
Hi!
I have just been offered a job as a recruitment consultant in Melbourne on a 457 visa (chest x-ray tomorrow so fingers crossed!). My girlfriend is coming across on a working holiday visa and then hoping to find sponsorship herself. If not then we will have her added to my visa.

We are coming across at the end of September and anything you feel would be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Neal and Tanya
x

Hi Neal and Tanya

We moved to Melbourne 4 years ago having never been here before and one of the hardest things back then was trying to find somewhere to stay for the first few weeks. We ended up in a caravan park in the middle of July and it was a nightmare. Since then we have set up our own business providing services to migrants which are designed to also save you money. The links are below in my signature if we can help. Good luck with the move.

Andy

Neal_and_Tanya Aug 5th 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. We are quite fortunate that my friend is putting us up for the first few weeks until we find a place. However if things take longer than expected then we may well get in touch!