Reload this Page >

Moving to Mackay - alone?

Moving to Mackay - alone?

Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Mackay - alone?

Hi there,

Just found this website a few days ago and have already been reading through a few threads.
I am a physio, currently working in NZ, and will hopefully move to Australia in a few months. I registered with a recruitment agency as I need some assistance with a work permit (457 visa). They offered me a job in Mackay.

Now, I´ve been to Australia before but skipped Mackay, therefore, I can´t really say anything about it. I just read, it´s a nice town, great weather, near the Great Barrier Reef and all that. Sounds great.

What worries me a bit: I would move there on my own, no partner or whatsoever. I was wondering what kind of place Mackay would be for a young single woman. Are there single people around my age (+/- 30) or would I be surrounded by mostly families?
It seems to be a bit isolated, no major city nearby (which would be ok if it´s a nice place...I just don´t wanna be stuck in a town where there´s not much to do for me).

Any opinions greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Mackay - alone?

Hi,
We are heading to Mackay. I have a job lined up in a hospital there.
There is a girl called Joanne who has arrived in January 2008. A chap from Scotland called Frank.
We are not single but are around your age!
Keep in touch- we intended to be there by April 2008...but it will be later I am afraid!
HKA
x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:41 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hi there don't worry you're not the only loner making the move. Check out this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508493 don't worry we're a friendly bunch
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:29 pm
joke c

john channon has a spectacular aura aboutjohn channon has a spectacular aura aboutjohn channon has a spectacular aura about

HI WE WILL BE MOVING TO MACKAY IN MAY,MACKAY HAS JUST HAD A VERY BAD STORM AND A LOT OF THE PLACE WAS BADLY FLOODED.BUT ME AND MY WIFE WAS OVER LAST EASTER AND WE LOVED IT .WE ARE SELLING UP AND MOVING OVER WITH OUR FAMILY.
I THOUGHT THE PEOPLE WERE VERY FRIENDLY.NOT A LOT OF NIGHT LIFE.
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by physiogirl76
Hi there,

Just found this website a few days ago and have already been reading through a few threads.
I am a physio, currently working in NZ, and will hopefully move to Australia in a few months. I registered with a recruitment agency as I need some assistance with a work permit (457 visa). They offered me a job in Mackay.

Now, I´ve been to Australia before but skipped Mackay, therefore, I can´t really say anything about it. I just read, it´s a nice town, great weather, near the Great Barrier Reef and all that. Sounds great.

What worries me a bit: I would move there on my own, no partner or whatsoever. I was wondering what kind of place Mackay would be for a young single woman. Are there single people around my age (+/- 30) or would I be surrounded by mostly families?
It seems to be a bit isolated, no major city nearby (which would be ok if it´s a nice place...I just don´t wanna be stuck in a town where there´s not much to do for me).

hi
dont worry mackay isnt that bad and the ppl are friendly, you feel a little isolated sometimes. Weve been here 18 months now and time has really flown by ,we r from kent in uk and compared to there its very laid back.
good luck
denise ,peter
Old May 26th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

ste74 will become famous soon enoughste74 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Currently negotiating an offer to work in Mackay, job will be in Sarina, we should be moving by Sept. Me, my wife and 3 daughters (11,9 and 3) have never been before and are currently looking around the net at property. If anyone can offer any location advice I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Steve
Old May 26th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Hi
We are off to Mackay soon...house sale pending...
I have a job in a Hospital in Mackay....cant wait..
Anyway...Who ever gets there first please post something here so we all know what it is like...
I know there is a guy called Franny (and his family) fae Clydebank (been there for years..if think) and a girl called Jo there (arrived in the last 6 months) already.
It would be nice to keep in touch. There is not a big expats community out there which is probably for the best to be honest...but it would be nice to have some familiar voices/accents to share our first few experiences with when we get there!
In other words Keep in Touch all you Mackay bound folk!
HKA
x
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:49 pm
Mackay

Monkeyhanger will become famous soon enough

I Moved to Mackay alone christmas 06, found it hard to ajust to 1st but its easy to settle in, people are real nice and place is starting to take shape, there is alot of places to visit just a drive away but there are loads of beaches which is great, Im 27 and found the nightlife to be not as good as UK but you still get all the after hours trouble like anywhere.

Basically if i where you I'd give Mackay a try as i did and you may enjoy it like i had. (apart from the floods in feb 08

Anyone wanting to know more feel free to ask and i'll do my best to respond

Peter (Ex- North east UK)
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:02 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Hi

Myself the wife and the boys (7 & 9) will hopefully be in Mackey September/October time depending on how long the Visa process takes. Will be working for an Engineering firm in Mackay. Can't wait to get out there. Meds are booked for the 24th July. Already have potential renters for my property, but need to work out when the move to Mackay will take place.

See you all soon.

DC
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:10 pm
Mackay

Monkeyhanger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dickchap
Hi

Myself the wife and the boys (7 & 9) will hopefully be in Mackey September/October time depending on how long the Visa process takes. Will be working for an Engineering firm in Mackay. Can't wait to get out there. Meds are booked for the 24th July. Already have potential renters for my property, but need to work out when the move to Mackay will take place.

See you all soon.

DC
Bring lots of money, mining boom here has got house prices skyhigh. lol
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:27 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monkeyhanger
Bring lots of money, mining boom here has got house prices skyhigh. lol
house prices in Mackay are shocking.....personally I didnt like it, with the Scottish accent we were treated like tourists...give us your money and bugger off. I found Mackay very dreary and not a nice place to be....only my opinion, but felt I should give it
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
house prices in Mackay are shocking.....personally I didnt like it, with the Scottish accent we were treated like tourists...give us your money and bugger off. I found Mackay very dreary and not a nice place to be....only my opinion, but felt I should give it
yes dont come here it is very dreary
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LINDZI
yes dont come here it is very dreary
was when I was there mate...only giving MY opinion
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

laurah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by physiogirl76
Hi there,

Hi there, just thought I would give you my opinion too, as a single girl (29)who's travelled & worked all round QLD as a nurse for the last 5 years. The straight answer is don't do it!!!! Mackay would be great if you were in a couple or a family but on your own it's a very different place. The weather isn't great and the town itself is kind of a stop gap between Brissie, the barrier reef and Cairns....not much there! Have you thought/asked about Cairns? That has the same tropical feel but isn't as isolated. Alternatively definately try the royal brisbane hopsital. I've worked there for 3/4 years and it's fab! Hope this helps
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
was when I was there mate...only giving MY opinion
we went over this a while back biggy mate and im not getting into it again

to answer it would be like laurah said the weather is not great and it is for familys really and everyone is rude and it is to expensive to buy and so on

but this is just MY opinion

Last edited by LINZI; Jul 19th 2008 at 10:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.