Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Logan qld

Moving to Logan qld

Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:57 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Logan qld

Originally Posted by DeadVim
**** knows, that's 7 years away!

I've got one actually, today ... . Part time and it fits in with school hours, can't ask for more at the moment ...
Great news - a stint with the horny hands of toil!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

**** knows, that's 7 years away!

I've got one actually, today ... it's only ad-hoc IT support for a small business but it suits very nicely for now. Part time and it fits in with school hours, can't ask for more at the moment ...
That's very cool.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one actually, today ... it's only ad-hoc IT support for a small business but it suits very nicely for now. Part time and it fits in with school hours, can't ask for more at the moment ...
Weldone!

We'll have you bitching about dole bludgers before you know it!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

The business? Real Estate ... Now you can all hate me
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

The business? Real Estate ... Now you can all hate me
If you're not going to be front office being a lying smarmy git I think you'll be fine. Hell, a job's a job. Beggers and choosers and all that.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Real estate?

Hell, at least you'll get to wear a nice new costume.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Logan qld-dracula.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:28 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Logan does have one of the worst reputations in Brisbane, some deserved, some not so, as it is a big area. Because of this stigma prices have traditionally been lower over all which means some cheaper than average houses can be had even in the better areas. Of course some people love living there even in the areas with the worse reputation because the people/place suits them and they get the advantage of lower prices.

I would say some of the advantages of the area would be nice hills, bike tracks and bushland around the Daisy Hill area, closer to the Gold Coast than most of Brisbane, large shopping mall, parks, bike tracks, very family orientated and multi-cultural areas and nice rural and acreage areas.

Some of the disadvantages might be some areas of Logan have high crime/some dodgy characters which might? spill out into surrounding areas, quite far from the city with parts having fairly poor CBD public transport if that is a requirement, quite far from a lot of the cultural events/venues/activities of Brisbane so might feel fairly cut off from this and a hospital with a bad reputation (not sure how deserved this is so just a heads up).

The parts of Logan that might more deserve the reputation do have some fairly challenging govt schools from what a teacher or two have told me so research a lot if you are going govt near these areas.

If your husband is working on/near the Beenleigh train line you could also consider living anywhere up and down this line which opens up the southern suburbs of Brisbane in the Brisbane City Council area and also further south towards the Gold Coast if you prefer.

Agree with some of what you have said....but have to disagree with some of your points..

I think the PT is fairly good actually, and its well used from what i can gather.

As regards feeling out of it when it comes to cultural events / venues etc...well on average i can leave home and be at South Bank in approx 20 mins, plus free parking if you know where to look !!! Now with the Gateway as it is the airport is approx 30mins away so i would say its a good area for access to most of what people want.

My OH works a few shifts at Logan and her impressions of it are pretty good as are a lot of peoples who use it...so its the usual "a few peoples bad experiences determine the opinions of many".

As for schools i would say we are spoilt for choice....some great schools and some not so great, so once again its down to peoples opinions and capabilities.

All in all we enjoy living where we do.....
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Thanks for all the info everyone.
At the moment I am liking daisy hill the best but will wait and see.
Although dh had another interview yesterday for a job in the cbd so we might be looking at north Brisbane again.
It's so hard to not know !!!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
Thanks for all the info everyone.
At the moment I am liking daisy hill the best but will wait and see.
Although dh had another interview yesterday for a job in the cbd so we might be looking at north Brisbane again.
It's so hard to not know !!!
Good luck, we were looking around Daisy Hill and it's not a bad spot at all.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Logan does have one of the worst reputations in Brisbane, some deserved, some not so, as it is a big area. Because of this stigma prices have traditionally been lower over all which means some cheaper than average houses can be had even in the better areas. Of course some people love living there even in the areas with the worse reputation because the people/place suits them and they get the advantage of lower prices.

I would say some of the advantages of the area would be nice hills, bike tracks and bushland around the Daisy Hill area, closer to the Gold Coast than most of Brisbane, large shopping mall, parks, bike tracks, very family orientated and multi-cultural areas and nice rural and acreage areas.

Some of the disadvantages might be some areas of Logan have high crime/some dodgy characters which might? spill out into surrounding areas, quite far from the city with parts having fairly poor CBD public transport if that is a requirement, quite far from a lot of the cultural events/venues/activities of Brisbane so might feel fairly cut off from this and a hospital with a bad reputation (not sure how deserved this is so just a heads up).

The parts of Logan that might more deserve the reputation do have some fairly challenging govt schools from what a teacher or two have told me so research a lot if you are going govt near these areas.

If your husband is working on/near the Beenleigh train line you could also consider living anywhere up and down this line which opens up the southern suburbs of Brisbane in the Brisbane City Council area and also further south towards the Gold Coast if you prefer.
Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Agree with some of what you have said....but have to disagree with some of your points..

I think the PT is fairly good actually, and its well used from what i can gather.
"with parts having fairly poor CBD public transport"

I think you may have misunderstood me...I agree that some parts have adequate public transport just that "parts" of it have poor options and you must be careful where you end up.

As regards feeling out of it when it comes to cultural events / venues etc...well on average i can leave home and be at South Bank in approx 20 mins, plus free parking if you know where to look !!! Now with the Gateway as it is the airport is approx 30mins away so i would say its a good area for access to most of what people want.
This comes down to personal perceptions of what involved means but driving 20 minutes down a freeway to southbank isn't what I meant. I have lived out that way but not as far as Logan and there was no way after the long PT journey home that I would go back to the inner city to a cultural event...wasn't happening...where I live now I feel much more connected to what is going on. The majority of govt and private money is spent on infrastructure and events in the inner city. Even on weekends I was disconnected from the inner city to a large extent compared to now. I imagine living further out in down in Logan it just gets harder. To a large extent I didn't know what I was missing until I moved but of course for some people they are not interested or it is worth the sacrifice as we are all different. As long as the OP knows what they are giving up.

My OH works a few shifts at Logan and her impressions of it are pretty good as are a lot of peoples who use it...so its the usual "a few peoples bad experiences determine the opinions of many".
Good to hear, that's why I qualified it as sometimes rumours can be unfair or outdated.

As for schools i would say we are spoilt for choice....some great schools and some not so great, so once again its down to peoples opinions and capabilities.
Yes, many good schools...does seem to have some really bad ones so the OP just needs to do the research.

All in all we enjoy living where we do.....
Some parts of it look great with many happy customers for those looking for affordable quiet suburban living.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 30th 2011 at 2:44 am.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hi all

Well dh is currently in Brisbane as he got offered the Logan council job so is there signing on the dotted line!

We are now thinking of redland area to live. Dh drove around Wellington point today and said it was lovely.

So any opinions on these areas would be good.

He is getting a company car and it says approx 30 min drive to Logan central but not sure what traffic is like at peak times in that area.

Also council does a relocation package which I think is a set dollar amount- anyone done an interstate move and know what a typical dollar amount is for relocation - just trying to budget!

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:53 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Well dh is currently in Brisbane as he got offered the Logan council job so is there signing on the dotted line!

We are now thinking of redland area to live. Dh drove around Wellington point today and said it was lovely.

He is getting a company car and it says approx 30 min drive to Logan central but not sure what traffic is like at peak times in that area.

Also council does a relocation package which I think is a set dollar amount- anyone done an interstate move and know what a typical dollar amount is for relocation - just trying to budget!

Thanks in advance!
You'll be lucky to do WP to Logan central in 30 mins if the roads were quiet and you kept to the speed limit...i would allow a hour.

WP is a nice area though, so you may find its worth it
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
You'll be lucky to do WP to Logan central in 30 mins if the roads were quiet and you kept to the speed limit...i would allow a hour.

WP is a nice area though, so you may find its worth it
Agreed.

I have been travelling regularly from Redlands bay and it takes more than 30 minutes...and RB is much closer.

Be warned...any trouble on the motorway amd the traffic builds up in the whole area.....took me 90 minutes one morning a couple of weeks ago.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:59 pm
Mostly Harmless

Hi all

Thanks in advance!
I can concur with the other posters, I am often out Wellington Point way and although very scenic it isn't 30 minutes in peak.

I wouldn't fancy trying 30 minutes in the middle of the day to be honest.

I like walking around the Wynnum/Manly coastal area but the bugbear for me is getting back down to Logan way at the end of it.

The Gateway Motorway has now been widened and restored to 100km/h (after an age of roadworks) but now they are starting work on the Gateway/M1 Southbound merge ... For nigh on 2 years ... Best avoided.

Grayling is right about general trouble on the Motorway too, Daisy Hill would give you better options to bypass the hassle and be a lot less stress.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling is right about general trouble on the Motorway too, Daisy Hill would give you better options to bypass the hassle and be a lot less stress.
Problem is.....when the motorway gets blocked then all the roads anywhere near the motorway also get blocked....both by people trying to get on the motorway and also by those trying to find an alternative route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.