Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Liverpool to NT

Moving from Liverpool to NT

Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Samanjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Liverpool to NT

Hello again , so we have been on the phone to migrate - me and it looks like we have to migrate to north territory. Never heard of it of I'm honest does anyone no what it is like there? We have 2 kids also , so we are looking to make friends before we come over too so we can settle a lot faster. Please feel free to comment. Thanks John
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Liverpool to NT

Have you seen Crocodile Dundee? If not, it would be a primer for you about life in the Northern Territory.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 6:40 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samanjohn
Hello again , so we have been on the phone to migrate - me and it looks like we have to migrate to north territory. Never heard of it of I'm honest does anyone no what it is like there? We have 2 kids also , so we are looking to make friends before we come over too so we can settle a lot faster. Please feel free to comment. Thanks John
One of the more challenging places to move to, the climate would be a big shock for most people. We visited in June and it was quite pleasant then, but expect very hot and humid at other times of the year.

But why did the agent say you have to go to NT anyway? There is no visa which compels anyone to live in a specific location. Well not unless it is employer sponsored in which case you would have to be where the job is.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

I have no idea why we can only move to NT , on the process it just says only to NT , but if I get a job in Melbourne I would have to apply to someone to grant me to move , don't know what to think about it if I'm honest... What do you think?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea why we can only move to NT , on the process it just says only to NT , but if I get a job in Melbourne I would have to apply to someone to grant me to move , don't know what to think about it if I'm honest... What do you think?
It sounds like it might be a state sponsored visa, 489 or 190. You need to find out because you need to know the rules around that visa. Also Northern Territory are reluctant to grant 190s these days to someone with no ties to the Territory as most of them don't stay - regardless of what your agent says there is no guarantee of acceptance.
So firstly, go back and ask them which visa they are suggesting for you and why
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:01 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very briefly - Northern Territory is the area around Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine. Its very hot, Alice and the inland is very dry most of the year, DArwin and the Top End are desperately humid for much of the year. The cimate coukd best be described as 'punishing' and the Top End (rould Darwin, were you would probably end up) is prone to cyclones and monsoonal rains.

There was a poster on here called Geordie Mandy, she still pops in at times and she lived up here with her family for a few years. Have a read of some of her posts.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads up on that one ! I don't think I want to risk going to Darwin with the weather extremes !
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Neither the 190 or489 though can compel you to actually live in the NT. The worst case is the 489 which would compel you to live in a regional area. Not the end of the world as some of the regional areas are where many chose to live anyway
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We went straight to Darwin and spent 4 happy years there. Yes, the wet season weather was a shock but the 6 month dry season is beautiful x
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
We went straight to Darwin and spent 4 happy years there. Yes, the wet season weather was a shock but the 6 month dry season is beautiful x
Sorry for not mentioning you earlier - I just couldn't think who it was that had started off there and was still posting!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Oh I'm getting mixed reactions from Darwin I think it might just be best to go there and see for myself haha
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm getting mixed reactions from Darwin I think it might just be best to go there and see for myself haha
Just to clarify on my own reaction. I was not suggesting you should rule it out, in fact I think I would be quite happy to give it a go I think (so long as I had air conditioning). But was just pointing out that it could be challenging as the first destination in Australia.

And the other thing, is that no visa will compel you to live in one specific location.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Migrate me who are dealing with my application for PR said I would need to go to NT at first and if I had a job in another location then I would have to apply to local government to change states. Is this true?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Argh Ive just phoned them and it's because my skills list is only on the NT short list
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Migrate me who are dealing with my application for PR said I would need to go to NT at first and if I had a job in another location then I would have to apply to local government to change states. Is this true?
No it is not true, as has already been mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.