Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to joondalup.. any advice from you lovely people

moving to joondalup.. any advice from you lovely people

Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

chatty66 will become famous soon enoughchatty66 will become famous soon enough
Default moving to joondalup.. any advice from you lovely people

Hi all, we are going to joondalup in july 08.. we have checked it out and it looks grand.. i am on a skilled entry visa ..hairstylist... who'd a thought!!!.any news advice or info and i might cut your hair for free when we get there!!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to joondalup.. any advice from you lovely people

Originally Posted by chatty66
Hi all, we are going to joondalup in july 08.. we have checked it out and it looks grand.. i am on a skilled entry visa ..hairstylist... who'd a thought!!!.any news advice or info and i might cut your hair for free when we get there!!!
Joondalup region or Joondalup suburb? The burb is a small town centre with lots of small businesses / restaurants and 3 pubs and what houses there are are often small / high-density though nice. The region spreads all the way from Burns Beach down to Warwick.

The further away from the city you get the newer the houses are and the more poms you will find.

The nearer to the sea you get the pricey the houses are and the nearer you get to the city the pricey they become generally too. By moving one suburb inland you may take 2 minutes longer to get to the beach but save $100,000+

If you plan to go into the city a lot (especiallly if ) try and be near to a train station.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I would echo everything Worzel said. Lots of nice suburbs surrounding Joondalup and can vary in price just across one dual carriageway. I live in Connolly, cross Marmion Ave is Ocean Reef and is way more pricey, across another road is Heathridge which is quite a bit cheaper.

Good area to be, good facilities, good schools. Stones throw to the beach and only half an hour into the City.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
Joondalup region or Joondalup suburb? The burb is a small town centre with lots of small businesses / restaurants and 3 pubs and what houses there are are often small / high-density though nice. The region spreads all the way from Burns Beach down to Warwick.

The further away from the city you get the newer the houses are and the more poms you will find.

The nearer to the sea you get the pricey the houses are and the nearer you get to the city the pricey they become generally too. By moving one suburb inland you may take 2 minutes longer to get to the beach but save $100,000+

If you plan to go into the city a lot (especiallly if ) try and be near to a train station.
thanks.. sussed that about the houses being near the beach.. have also been told that in the winter the wind really kicks up coming of the ocean.. thanks again... how long have you been over..?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Hello worzel... wise words and thanks... still sounds like the place for us... not too sure about too many poms... dont want to be in a little britain !!!.. diversity is what i want...thanks again..chatty66
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.. sussed that about the houses being near the beach.. have also been told that in the winter the wind really kicks up coming of the ocean.. thanks again... how long have you been over..?
We have been here 15 months now. The wind is a blessing and a curse. Winter weather can be wild, wet and windy for a couple of months but we need that to fill up the dams & aquifers so we can water the lawns and fill the pool for the other 10 months. (Be prepared for winter temperatures BTW - with no double glazing/ thin walls / no central heating temps can dip to nearly freezing at night and most new arrivals end up buying $1000 Rinnai gas heaters and regretting throwing all their jumpers away before they came). I guess the beachside houses would suffer but we also know people in Kinross and those on top of the hill get a lot windier that those below.

In the summer (and we notice this most at Mullaloo Beach) in the morning you get a gentle breeze from off the land but by the arvo the Fremantle Doctor picks up and blows hard from offshore. 3 burbs inland and it is lovely and refreshing to get a relief from high 30's temps as you sit round the pool. But try sitting on the beach in it with your pop up tent blown flat, your body boards performing GBH on your nose and sand been blasted into your nose and eyes (and even ends up in the most unexpected orifices ) and it isn't so nice. The lesson is go to the beach early then head off home for a barbie and splash in the pool.

As for too many poms, that is also a blessing and a curse. Obviously there are lots of fellow newbies so it is easier to make friends and find support. But it also makes it harder to integrate. There are 3 pubs in Joondalup - the Grand Boulevard Tavern which is a bit grotty and you can queue to get in, there is a new Irish bar but we haven't been there yet and the Old Bailey which a lot of the poms love but it gets so noisy I have sometimes given up on conversations and gone home. You will see soccer shirts there of all colours and sometimes you forget you are in Australia after a while.

We seem to be making friends in the Woodvale / Kingsley areas all the time at the moment and so are just starting to think we may move that way when our daughter goes to high school in a couple of years time. As I said the other day prices are a bit higher that way but it will be nicer to be a shorter train journey from work and taxis from the city / airport won't require a re-mortgage.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 15 months now. The wind is a blessing and a curse. Winter weather can be wild, wet and windy for a couple of months but we need that to fill up the dams & aquifers so we can water the lawns and fill the pool for the other 10 months. (Be prepared for winter temperatures BTW - with no double glazing/ thin walls / no central heating temps can dip to nearly freezing at night and most new arrivals end up buying $1000 Rinnai gas heaters and regretting throwing all their jumpers away before they came). I guess the beachside houses would suffer but we also know people in Kinross and those on top of the hill get a lot windier that those below.

In the summer (and we notice this most at Mullaloo Beach) in the morning you get a gentle breeze from off the land but by the arvo the Fremantle Doctor picks up and blows hard from offshore. 3 burbs inland and it is lovely and refreshing to get a relief from high 30's temps as you sit round the pool. But try sitting on the beach in it with your pop up tent blown flat, your body boards performing GBH on your nose and sand been blasted into your nose and eyes (and even ends up in the most unexpected orifices ) and it isn't so nice. The lesson is go to the beach early then head off home for a barbie and splash in the pool.

As for too many poms, that is also a blessing and a curse. Obviously there are lots of fellow newbies so it is easier to make friends and find support. But it also makes it harder to integrate. There are 3 pubs in Joondalup - the Grand Boulevard Tavern which is a bit grotty and you can queue to get in, there is a new Irish bar but we haven't been there yet and the Old Bailey which a lot of the poms love but it gets so noisy I have sometimes given up on conversations and gone home. You will see soccer shirts there of all colours and sometimes you forget you are in Australia after a while.

We seem to be making friends in the Woodvale / Kingsley areas all the time at the moment and so are just starting to think we may move that way when our daughter goes to high school in a couple of years time. As I said the other day prices are a bit higher that way but it will be nicer to be a shorter train journey from work and taxis from the city / airport won't require a re-mortgage.
If I remember rightly Worzel you always did like Woodvale. It was our suburb of choice but nothing for sale in our price range at the time.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:26 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by northernbird
If I remember rightly Worzel you always did like Woodvale. It was our suburb of choice but nothing for sale in our price range at the time.
When we were looking for a rental that area was popular (not least because of the Moon and Sixpence nearby ) but we drove around nearby Padbury and there was junk all over the place so we thought it rough (but now know it was their week for bulk refuse collection ). We also went to look at a house in Woodvale but when we got out of the car there was a overwhelming smell of sewerage so we just got straight back in the car (apparently there is a sewage treatment works in Craigie but we were unlucky to have a day when the wind was in that direction)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks so much worzel.. there is nothing like getting the inside view.. sounds like you love living there and are settled... how old are you kids.. did they find the move easy to deal with..chatty66
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:01 am
A former regular of BE

thanks so much worzel.. there is nothing like getting the inside view.. sounds like you love living there and are settled... how old are you kids.. did they find the move easy to deal with..chatty66
We do love it - cannot see us ever going back although Xmas did bring a slight change in attitude for us - after 15 months it is no longer an exciting new thing just a normal day to day life with all its ups and downs. My wife has been getting pressure from her family to go back for a visit (major birthdays coming up) and I had some work problems but they are minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things. When the weekend comes around and we are in the pool, at the beach everything else fades away.

We have a 9 year old daughter and she struggled to settle (unexpectedly) for a while. she finished UK school in July and we thought we would be leaving by September but there was a delay of about 6 weeks due to the house. Then we got here and didn't start her in school until we found a long-term rental so in all she was out of school for about 4 months. Then she started at Currambine Primary but only did 4 weeks before they broke up for summer holidays - 7 weeks. When she went back they changed all the classes around and she didn't know hardly anyone again. After a few weeks we had bought in a new suburb so decided to go for it and move schools to Carramar Primary and she has been a lot happier since. She had a bit of excema for a few months after arrival and I am sure the stress contributed to it. But she is really happy now and doesn't want to go back. There are a few girls slightly younger than her in our street and the next one and she plays in the street and up the park with them nearly every day.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:07 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am living in Joondalup (since arriving back on Nov 26th) with my father and step mother. I lived in Joondalup before moving back to England in 99 (first moved to Joondalup in 93, even before the shopping centre and pubs were there).

I love Joondalup - always have, always will. I can see the good points about other suburbs, but I just really love Joondalup. Probably won't be able to afford it, when it comes time to buying a place, but a girl can dream, right?!

Each morning, I walk down through Joondalup North to get to the train station (and then into Perth for work). I love seeing the bushland, the different businesses and just the general feel of the area.

Someone mentioned the new Irish place in Joondalup. It is called 'Paddy Malones' and it is coming good - it hasn't been open long and needs to improve somewhat, but I have eaten there (and drank there too) and it is a nice place.

The Old Bailey has gone down hill since the old Manager left. She was lovely and ran a very tight ship - the last few years has really seen it deteriorate. If you want to drink in a British style pub then the "woodvale Tavern" is great (in woodvale). It used to be "the Moon and Sixpence" and then "the Moon" but now (as of just recently) it has reverted back to the "woodvale Tavern".

Been down there tonight and had several pints! Whilst it is not 'exactly' like a British pub, it has a good environment and you see the same people down there which is good!

Anyway, getting back to Joondalup - there are many area's around Joondalup that are lovely too....so my advice to you, is to take a good look around before buying a place. Rent in Joondalup if you wish, but really investigate the neighbouring suburbs and get a feel for the place in general.

Good Luck
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:45 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
The Old Bailey has gone down hill since the old Manager left. She was lovely and ran a very tight ship
Apparently she is interested in running the pub in Carramar, if it ever gets built.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:40 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently she is interested in running the pub in Carramar, if it ever gets built.

She went from the Bailey to another place (somewhere down in Perth - forgotten name). My Dad and StepMum got married there back in 2004 (my last holiday here). That too, has now gone downhill under the new management.

Must come and take a look around Carramar as it sounds lovely
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I am living in Joondalup (since arriving back on Nov 26th) with my father and step mother. I lived in Joondalup before moving back to England in 99 (first moved to Joondalup in 93, even before the shopping centre and pubs were there).

I love Joondalup - always have, always will. I can see the good points about other suburbs, but I just really love Joondalup. Probably won't be able to afford it, when it comes time to buying a place, but a girl can dream, right?!

Each morning, I walk down through Joondalup North to get to the train station (and then into Perth for work). I love seeing the bushland, the different businesses and just the general feel of the area.

Someone mentioned the new Irish place in Joondalup. It is called 'Paddy Malones' and it is coming good - it hasn't been open long and needs to improve somewhat, but I have eaten there (and drank there too) and it is a nice place.

The Old Bailey has gone down hill since the old Manager left. She was lovely and ran a very tight ship - the last few years has really seen it deteriorate. If you want to drink in a British style pub then the "woodvale Tavern" is great (in woodvale). It used to be "the Moon and Sixpence" and then "the Moon" but now (as of just recently) it has reverted back to the "woodvale Tavern".

Been down there tonight and had several pints! Whilst it is not 'exactly' like a British pub, it has a good environment and you see the same people down there which is good!

Anyway, getting back to Joondalup - there are many area's around Joondalup that are lovely too....so my advice to you, is to take a good look around before buying a place. Rent in Joondalup if you wish, but really investigate the neighbouring suburbs and get a feel for the place in general.

Good Luck
yep we will rent in joondalup for a while,, just to get jobs etc sorted out and to see what we can afford.. do we need a mortgage etc... if i wasnt sold already i would be now,,, thanks for your help..chatty 66
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

We do love it - cannot see us ever going back although Xmas did bring a slight change in attitude for us - after 15 months it is no longer an exciting new thing just a normal day to day life with all its ups and downs. My wife has been getting pressure from her family to go back for a visit (major birthdays coming up) and I had some work problems but they are minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things. When the weekend comes around and we are in the pool, at the beach everything else fades away.

We have a 9 year old daughter and she struggled to settle (unexpectedly) for a while. she finished UK school in July and we thought we would be leaving by September but there was a delay of about 6 weeks due to the house. Then we got here and didn't start her in school until we found a long-term rental so in all she was out of school for about 4 months. Then she started at Currambine Primary but only did 4 weeks before they broke up for summer holidays - 7 weeks. When she went back they changed all the classes around and she didn't know hardly anyone again. After a few weeks we had bought in a new suburb so decided to go for it and move schools to Carramar Primary and she has been a lot happier since. She had a bit of excema for a few months after arrival and I am sure the stress contributed to it. But she is really happy now and doesn't want to go back. There are a few girls slightly younger than her in our street and the next one and she plays in the street and up the park with them nearly every day.
my two are horribly old... 17 and 19.. do you know how old that makes me feel!!!... but we still have uni worries and when they are older they want to do there own thing which is more than resonable but it makes it hard to please everyone... my daughter gets ezema when stressed too.. but it sounds as though yours has come thru the worst and is settling down..chatty66