Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving jobs while on a 457 visa

Moving jobs while on a 457 visa

Old Jul 29th 2004, 4:32 am
Just Joined

babyface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving jobs while on a 457 visa

Has anyone been sponsored on a 457 visa and subsequently changed jobs to a similar position with another company? If so I'd love to know the process that you have to go through to get a new visa arranged. Does the new visa need to be arranged before you resign from the original position?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

This law changed last year and dealt a killer blow to lots of agencies and contractors.

you used to be able to swap between employers on a 457, but now I think you need to apply again for a 457 with any new prospective emplyer.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:41 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who did this but some time ago (i'm also on 457 employer sponsored). I would agree that the new employer has to be able to sponsor your visa and I certainly wouldn't resgin until you get it - I believe you may have to leave Oz within 28 days

Also, in my position I expect my employer easily to sponsor future PR, alternative employers may not be in the same position even if they can sponsor your 457
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving jobs while on a 457 visa

You do need a new visa, especially if your existing 457 was granted from 1 July 2002.

If contemplating a move like this - get professional advice from the outset as otherwise the risk of ending up in a visa mess is high.

Jeremy

Originally posted by babyface
Has anyone been sponsored on a 457 visa and subsequently changed jobs to a similar position with another company? If so I'd love to know the process that you have to go through to get a new visa arranged. Does the new visa need to be arranged before you resign from the original position?
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

cliff and kay is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to go with the rest on this.
We're here on a 457 and it's big agro factor to change. If you can, bide your time and apply for residency soonest.
Good luck
Cliff