Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Ireland to Brisbane in Early Sept

Moving from Ireland to Brisbane in Early Sept

Old May 17th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Seanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Ireland to Brisbane in Early Sept

Hi All, I am new to this forum and am looking for advice and help with our move to Brisbane. My wife has secured a job at the mater hospital in brisbane and is due to start at end sept/early oct.
We are looking at sourcing accommodation (preferably furnished to start - as we will rent our house in ireland) with 4 bedrooms. We have seen some nice houses in the ormiston and cleeveland area and wonder how easy is it to commute to the mater hospital from there. her working hours are 7.30-15.00 mon- fri.

Anybody know about schools in these areas, we have three girls, 12, 7,5 and would hope to get them enrolled in school for the last term (Oct-dec). We haven't a clue about the class system and what age groups apply to what class. My oldest would be due to start secondary school in ireland in sept but realise that she will have to go back to the last year in primary in brisbane before she can proceed. How do the schools work in brisbane - I will be looking for take up fulltime work at end October so we will both work fulltime (have to do this do ensure a good standard of living and pay the bills back home). Do the schools run after school clubs etc
We are going on a 457 visa with full sponsorship...
Appreciate there's alot of questions but we would really appreciate any help and advise from anyone...
Thanks
Old May 17th 2011, 10:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Ireland to Brisbane in Early Sept

Originally Posted by Seanda
We have seen some nice houses in the ormiston and cleeveland area and wonder how easy is it to commute to the mater hospital from there. her working hours are 7.30-15.00 mon- fri.
It's very easy. You can either get a train to South Bank and walk up to the hospital. Or get a train then a bus (or a bus then a bus) which drops you practically at the front door. It would be about an hour in total from Cleveland, same from Ormiston.

Driving would be OK at those times too I think.
Old May 18th 2011, 12:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To find furnished accommodation you'd be looking for a short term holiday rental. It's very rare to find long term rentals furnished. Ormiston College has a very good rep but it's fee paying. Some primaries around here have after school and holiday care, shouldn't think Bayside is any different.
Old May 18th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seanda
Hi All, I am new to this forum and am looking for advice and help with our move to Brisbane. My wife has secured a job at the mater hospital in brisbane and is due to start at end sept/early oct.
We are looking at sourcing accommodation (preferably furnished to start - as we will rent our house in ireland) with 4 bedrooms. We have seen some nice houses in the ormiston and cleeveland area and wonder how easy is it to commute to the mater hospital from there. her working hours are 7.30-15.00 mon- fri.

Anybody know about schools in these areas, we have three girls, 12, 7,5 and would hope to get them enrolled in school for the last term (Oct-dec). We haven't a clue about the class system and what age groups apply to what class. My oldest would be due to start secondary school in ireland in sept but realise that she will have to go back to the last year in primary in brisbane before she can proceed. How do the schools work in brisbane - I will be looking for take up fulltime work at end October so we will both work fulltime (have to do this do ensure a good standard of living and pay the bills back home). Do the schools run after school clubs etc
We are going on a 457 visa with full sponsorship...
Appreciate there's alot of questions but we would really appreciate any help and advise from anyone...
Thanks
Hello Seanda and welcome to the forum

Ormiston and Cleveland are lovely areas and there are a lot of nurses living in the area who work at the Mater. Also take a look at Wellington Point and Thornlands.

In terms of schooling, it really depends on when your children's birthdays fall. If your daughter is due to turn 13 this year then she would go into high school when you arrive, but if she's already had her birthday, then yes, she would just do a couple of terms in primary school before moving onto high school. You would need to give the actual birth date for your other children before I can tell you what year they would be in.

The local high school for the Cleveland / Ormiston area is Cleveland state high school. There are also privates, and so called "semi" privates, which are still fee paying, but subsidised heavily by the church and so not nearly so expensive as the private schools.

For primary schools, Star of the Sea Catholic school in Cleveland is well spoken of. You do not have to be Catholic to attend, but there are some low fees to pay. Thornlands state primary is a big school, but has a good reputation. Bayview is a new school in Thornlands, which seems to be popular, but you have to live in the catchment to get in.

If you are looking for a short term rental then my advice is book early. I get SOOOO many people asking me for a month or more just a couple of weeks before they are due to arrive and I have to tell them I am already booked up. I already have bookings for February next year!! Let me know if either of my places would suit you - they are in the Redlands area, not far from the places you are looking to settle - the link is in my signature.

I hope that helps for now!

Love

Rudi
x

PS I also have 3 girls
Old May 18th 2011, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Why did you pick Cleveland/Ormiston out of interest? I see the bay area spruiked quite a lot on this forum but it is quite a distance from the city. I can understand why these areas might appeal to some though.

Also, are you aware of the limitations of the 457 visa? I feel it is important to make you aware of these if you haven't been told yet.

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, the positives of the move might be a lot clearer. Having moved from Dublin to Brisbane (via Sydney and Melbourne) I can assure you it has a lot to offer.
Old May 18th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Why did you pick Cleveland/Ormiston out of interest? I see the bay area spruiked quite a lot on this forum but it is quite a distance from the city. I can understand why these areas might appeal to some though.

Also, are you aware of the limitations of the 457 visa? I feel it is important to make you aware of these if you haven't been told yet.

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, the positives of the move might be a lot clearer. Having moved from Dublin to Brisbane (via Sydney and Melbourne) I can assure you it has a lot to offer.
Hi, we are looking at areas that would be suitable for three young girls. Not really interested in living in the city and dont mind travelling up to an hour to work. The visa application is next and waiting for the mater to forward the paperwork. Any advice on pitfalls on the 457 that we need to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old May 18th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hello Seanda and welcome to the forum

Ormiston and Cleveland are lovely areas and there are a lot of nurses living in the area who work at the Mater. Also take a look at Wellington Point and Thornlands.

In terms of schooling, it really depends on when your children's birthdays fall. If your daughter is due to turn 13 this year then she would go into high school when you arrive, but if she's already had her birthday, then yes, she would just do a couple of terms in primary school before moving onto high school. You would need to give the actual birth date for your other children before I can tell you what year they would be in.

The local high school for the Cleveland / Ormiston area is Cleveland state high school. There are also privates, and so called "semi" privates, which are still fee paying, but subsidised heavily by the church and so not nearly so expensive as the private schools.

For primary schools, Star of the Sea Catholic school in Cleveland is well spoken of. You do not have to be Catholic to attend, but there are some low fees to pay. Thornlands state primary is a big school, but has a good reputation. Bayview is a new school in Thornlands, which seems to be popular, but you have to live in the catchment to get in.

If you are looking for a short term rental then my advice is book early. I get SOOOO many people asking me for a month or more just a couple of weeks before they are due to arrive and I have to tell them I am already booked up. I already have bookings for February next year!! Let me know if either of my places would suit you - they are in the Redlands area, not far from the places you are looking to settle - the link is in my signature.

I hope that helps for now!

Love

Rudi
x

PS I also have 3 girls
Hi Rudi, Thanks a mill for the detailed reply. The girls date of birth are : 10th Jan 99, 05 July 2003 and 12th November 2005 so any advice would be appreciated as the schooling system is very different in Ireland. In relation to housing we have seen some nice properties to rent in the ormiston/cleeveland area but I guess that there is no point in trying to secure one until nearer the time. We were thinking of signing a lease for at least 12 months if we find a nice property, as we would really want to be uprooting the girls to move again whilst they are settling into school. We guess our oldest will be the most difficult to settle as she is already telling us she isnt moving!!! so many battles ahead on that one.....
We are keen to send the girls to catholic schools although private is not an option at the moment. We have heard mixed reports about state schools and I would assume that schools outside the city might be smaller in relation to student numbers..... all we really want is a school with a good standard of education and one that offers a wide range of extra cirricular activities and one that the girls will not be totally overwhelmed with... a tall order I know but hoping for the best. We would like to have them enrolled in school for the term commencing 3rd october as we hope to be in brisbane by early /mid september 2011 - all going well.
Good to know that a few nurses from the mater live in ormiston/cleeveland area. This should help us when we move.
will also look at the other areas you mentioned.
Once again Rudi, thanks for your reply and any & all advice, help, suggestions will be greatly recieved and appreciated.
Sean
Old May 18th 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's very easy. You can either get a train to South Bank and walk up to the hospital. Or get a train then a bus (or a bus then a bus) which drops you practically at the front door. It would be about an hour in total from Cleveland, same from Ormiston.

Driving would be OK at those times too I think.
Thats great , thanks for the info.
Sean
Old May 18th 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi

It may also be worth looking at manly it would take 20 mins off your commute ( more family time), Catholic and state schools are good plus a fair few english/ irish/ nurses within the community.

Good luck i hope the eldest comes round. My 6&3 yo have really settled.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Hi

It may also be worth looking at manly it would take 20 mins off your commute ( more family time), Catholic and state schools are good plus a fair few english/ irish/ nurses within the community.

thanks a mill, will do...
thanks
sean
Old May 18th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Hi, would you have any names of schools that I could look up for info. We are going on a 457 (wife is a nurse manager and the main applicant) - are school fees expensive in brisbane for temp residents...
thanks, will prob have loads more questions over the coming weeks
Sean
Old May 18th 2011, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Moving from Ireland to Brisbane in Early Sept

thanks to everyone for your responses..... really appreciate the help and if there is anything that we need to be thinking about, please let me know.

Thanks again
Sean
Old May 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

My children go to manly state school which i am more than happy with, though you do need to live in the catchment. My irish friends send their children to st john vianney, which costs aboyt $1000 a year - in qld there are no other costs involved on a 457 - though everyone pays for books /stationery -$90-120 per year and school uniform will set you back $200 on arrival!i think your 2 youngest will be in prep and grade 2.
Let me know if you need any other info
Old May 18th 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

My children go to manly state school which i am more than happy with, though you do need to live in the catchment. My irish friends send their children to st john vianney, which costs aboyt $1000 a year - in qld there are no other costs involved on a 457 - though everyone pays for books /stationery -$90-120 per year and school uniform will set you back $200 on arrival!i think your 2 youngest will be in prep and grade 2.
thanks, will do. appreciate it
Old May 18th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi , this is probably a really silly question but my wife is insisting I post it!!!
Rosaleen (being the main applicant) will commence work full time and I will stay at home for the first month to get the girls settled but will have to take up employment full time. Heres the question - how do two working parents without family back up manage with getting kids to and from school. Rosaleen working hours are 07.00-15.30 approx I think and as for me I dont know until the time comes but it will prob be 9.00-17.30 or there abouts. Do schools provide after school care for working parents and if so how much approx does it cost??? There, she who must be obeyed is happy!!!!!
Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.