Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport!

Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport!

Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport!

Originally Posted by comet555
I could stay forever though!
its nice to know that you really like it here...i think i will be making one of the blog thingys as well, it will be much easier than having to make different emails for family and friends, and it can serve as our own personal diary for the rest of our lives....
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
Glad to hear it. I've got to keep laughing, mate, otherwise I'd be like a chicken running around looking for my head.
thats actually how i feel right now given we leave in 10 days......really dont know what i would do without this forum and all you wonderful people....
Old May 11th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all

This thread is just what i've been looking for!

Me and my partner arrive in Brisbane in just 4 weeks time and have no accommodation whatsoever!!!

I've sent applications off to try and secure a 2 bedroom unfurnished rental property before we leave the uk, so we have somewhere to go straight away and can organise getting all our amenities asap.

Not having any luck with agents though as were still in the uk, finding it really difficult and panicking now.

Were looking to live in Forest Lake South Brisbane, as my partner will be working close to the area. Can't seem to find any temporary accommodation like a hotel, cabin site etc. that is under $300 a week (as we are on a tight budget).

Everything seems to be $80 - $100 per night which seems abit steep?

The links provided by everyone will be really helpful when we come to needing our furniture and kitchen appliances when we arrive. Just need a place to stay now!

I've been on afew different threads that have provided links to caravan sites like caravanvillage.com, but this worked out at $95 a night for a cabin for 2! We can't stay in a tent or a caravan cause we don't have one.

:curse:
Old May 11th 2008, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there is the Brisbane Backpackers but really you are going to be struggling on less than $300!!!
Old May 11th 2008, 10:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't offer any advice, nicrock, but seeing as you resurrected this thread I will add:

So glad we did it this way and didn't go into a serviced apartment. It may be sparse (rented the bare essentials furniture) but we've been here ten days and I'm starting to feel at home. We've got the white goods (from Good Guys - paid by CC but got a reasonable discount), we're starting to stock the cupboards, and I think it will make it easier when our shipping arrives.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:22 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by obiwan
thanks for the link wb,

i will be emailing them for a quote, so far i have emailed mrrentals and they say a fridge and washing machine will be approx $68/fortnight for both...thats assuming a 3 month short term rental.....

i will be asking how much would a 1 month rental be....that would give me more than enough time to decide the make/model that would suit us and look for sales...

Go to K Mart and get a fridge and chuck it in the car! They have them ready to go. There are plenty of petrol stations with trailer hire as well, they do a small bar fridge for $200 ish, works well does the job, they also do some larger ones. I like fridge and washer city on Winton Road in Joondalup, always seem to get a good deal there, they are pretty quick at delivering.
Jenny
Old May 13th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

its greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,try this web site www.Fantasticfurniture.com.au. They do a home starter pack for $1.999. Thats bed, sofa , table and chairs, and i think on one of there packs they give you a free TV.

Greg.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

thank you for all the replies...

just been really busy the past couple of months setting up the place, going to work and settling down...

anyway here is what i ended up buying....

Refrigerator (new) on Ebay - $500 for a westinghouse 340L, delivered..brand new was from good guys was $799.
  • Jogger stroller - garage sale $20, would have cost $180 at Kmart
  • Plates and stuff - Crazy Clark $17 for 16 pcs
  • IKEA - all the little stuff for the kitchen $600, pans, forks etc.
  • Kmart - blankets, airbeds and sheets - mostly 40% off list price
  • ALDI - food, toiletries and cleaning stuff, much cheaper!
  • Bean bags - Target, small appliances

Microwave oven - $5, Hoover Washing machine (top load 9kg)$50 garage sale
  • 2000 Camry - $7900 with 120k kms on it.

so far it has been ok, will post more details soon....