British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-into-unfurnished-unit-straight-airport-526967/)

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 8:11 am

Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport!

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone here moved straight into a UNFURNISHED house/unit right after coming straight from the airport? (with wife and 3 kids in tow)

Aside from:

Refrigerator,
take-away food
Airbeds
Basic pots, pans
Cutlery
Linen
Microwave
Plastic Table, chairs (temp stuff)
Iron
Cleaning stuff
GPS

and renting a car, what were the other things you bought to get quickly settled?

Would you find everything you need in KMart? Does anyone know how long it takes them to deliver a refrigerator?

Would appreciate any advice :)

btw, not planning to ship over anything, will be starting from scratch.....

Thanks! :)

wbbugs Apr 5th 2008 8:38 am

Re: Moving into unfurnished Unit straight from the Airport!

I cant help you on what to bring as I'm not in OZ yet.

But have you tried looking into renting some kitchen stuff.
http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/
Think these deliver within 24 hours.

Do a search on here for renting appliances. There are quite a few threads. You will find that you don't have to rent them for a year, just as long as you need them.
:D

Nerine Apr 5th 2008 8:57 am

Wow, go you! I'd have a night in a hotel first just to sleep if nothing else.

Crazy Clarks are good for dirt cheap electrical appliances like kettles and irons, they may not last long but hey for $10 a throw...... ! it's also cheaper than K mart for kitchen utensils, pillows, towels, air beds, coathangers, rack to dry wet clothes on if you haven't got a washing line, storage containers for sugar/tea/cereal etc. We bought our ironing board from K Mart though

2-3 days for a fridge to be delivered, so not long.

Bean bags may be a good alternative for the kids to sit on.

quoll Apr 5th 2008 10:30 am

You could also register with the local Freecycle group and see what is on offer with them although a fridge might be a bit of a big ask.

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by wbbugs (Post 6162240)
I cant help you on what to bring as I'm not in OZ yet.

But have you tried looking into renting some kitchen stuff.
http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/
Think these deliver within 24 hours.

Do a search on here for renting appliances. There are quite a few threads. You will find that you don't have to rent them for a year, just as long as you need them.
:D

thanks for the link wb,

i will be emailing them for a quote, so far i have emailed mrrentals and they say a fridge and washing machine will be approx $68/fortnight for both...thats assuming a 3 month short term rental.....

i will be asking how much would a 1 month rental be....that would give me more than enough time to decide the make/model that would suit us and look for sales...

:)

Trevski Apr 5th 2008 10:41 am

hi
im sure you and you family will love brisbane,we use a company called major rentals they are very good on price and quick to deliver,we use them a lot to furnish our familys homes who migrate to brisbane
their number is 1300 666 975
if you are moving northside of brisbane give boyd a email on
[email protected]
all the best
Trev:thumbsup:

Nerine Apr 5th 2008 10:42 am

Good idea, buying a fridge in Oz should never be rushed in to.

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6162289)
Wow, go you! I'd have a night in a hotel first just to sleep if nothing else.

Crazy Clarks are good for dirt cheap electrical appliances like kettles and irons, they may not last long but hey for $10 a throw...... ! it's also cheaper than K mart for kitchen utensils, pillows, towels, air beds, coathangers, rack to dry wet clothes on if you haven't got a washing line, storage containers for sugar/tea/cereal etc. We bought our ironing board from K Mart though

2-3 days for a fridge to be delivered, so not long.

Bean bags may be a good alternative for the kids to sit on.

thanks Nerine,

forgot about crazy clarks, yes that will probably the first place to visit, (maybe after ALDI)... i am not really looking for quality stuff at the moment, crazy clarks stuff would suit us fine...
:)

i saw a GPS on ALDIs website for only $179!!

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6162527)
You could also register with the local Freecycle group and see what is on offer with them although a fridge might be a bit of a big ask.

thanks quoll, i heard about this free group thingy, just never knew what their name was, was able to google it just now after seeing your post and i will be keeping an eye out on their list.....:)

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6162556)
Good idea, buying a fridge in Oz should never be rushed in to.

yeah, i was thinking if i rent first, gives me more time to ask around for all the different brands (some I have never heard of).....i also heard that its a good idea to bring cash and offer to pay 80% of the listed price.....

obiwan Apr 5th 2008 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 6162555)
hi
im sure you and you family will love brisbane,we use a company called major rentals they are very good on price and quick to deliver,we use them a lot to furnish our familys homes who migrate to brisbane
their number is 1300 666 975
if you are moving northside of brisbane give boyd a email on
[email protected]
all the best
Trev:thumbsup:

thanks for the name and contact details Trev....we decided on bayside only because i have a good friend that lives there.....but i hear that Mango hill is a beautiful place....:)

Trevski Apr 5th 2008 11:11 am

Hi
yes we do love mango hill, its across the hill from northlakes, so we get all the benifits of the shops/mall in northlakes but the bigger blocks and more country side on halpine side
thxs
also the email i gave you should be
[email protected]

JackTheLad Apr 5th 2008 11:23 am

Originally Posted by obiwan (Post 6162184)
what were the other things you bought to get quickly settled?

I would recommend getting a TV with rabbit ears, DVD player and a small radio, so that you'll at least be able to watch the news on the free channels and the kids will have something to entertain them when they're board.

A toaster oven is always handy for making quick snacks.

Printer if you're bring a laptop over.

Internet access - get set up as soon as possible so that you can ask more questions on here once you arrive. The quickest way is to get prepaid dial-up. Local calls are flat rate so it won't cost you much on the phone line even if you stay connected for a long time.

Would you find everything you need in KMart? Does anyone know how long it takes them to deliver a refrigerator?
You'll find most things at KMart if you aren't too fussed about brand name and quality. If the item is in stock they can normally deliver the next day.

Where about will you be staying when you arrive? Perhaps someone here can recommend places nearby to shop?

Good luck with it all,
Mrs JTL

hantsfamily1 Apr 5th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by obiwan (Post 6162184)
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone here moved straight into a UNFURNISHED house/unit right after coming straight from the airport? (with wife and 3 kids in tow)

Aside from:

Refrigerator,
take-away food
Airbeds
Basic pots, pans
Cutlery
Linen
Microwave
Plastic Table, chairs (temp stuff)
Iron
Cleaning stuff
GPS

and renting a car, what were the other things you bought to get quickly settled?

Would appreciate any advice :)

btw, not planning to ship over anything, will be starting from scratch.....

Thanks! :)

I would check out holiday lets on www.realestate.com.au and give yourself some breathing space when you first arrive. Most important thing is to settle and feel comfy, get a furnished place for a week or two while you get it all sorted out. Last thing you want to do is stress and run around like a headless chicken, best of luck with the move.

Kooky. Apr 5th 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for starting this thread - we're going to be doing exactly the same in a few weeks although just the two of us to worry about for the first month. We've already taken the property and want to get relatively settled before our cats come out of quarantine.

We'll probably bring a few small practical things in our airfreight allowance but I've been looking on furniture rental sites (our relo agent recommends www.livingedgerental.com.au but I don't think they cover your area) and worked out it will cost us about A$800 for a month's rental of the basics. We could make do with less but there is a minimum number of items you can rent.

For buying appliances, my friends in Syd and Mel have recommended:

www.thegoodguys.com.au
www.harveynorman.com.au (I've called them Hardly Normal for so long I can no longer type it properly :unsure: )
www.graysonline.com.au
www.appliancesonline.com.au
www.tradingpost.com.au