Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Interstate - WA to NSW - advice please!

Moving Interstate - WA to NSW - advice please!

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:09 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Moving Interstate - WA to NSW - advice please!

Hi everyone,

Havent posted for a while, been settling in in Perth (well Rockingham to be precise). Its very nice here and everything is fine, but my husband has a chance of a job in NSW. He works on a certain type of CNC machinery, which doesnt seem to exist in WA, but there are several businesses using them in NSW and one has shown interest in my hubby. I am about to send him over for an interview and get him to have a quick look at the area (neither of us has ever been to any other state, I would love to go with him to see it but airfares are too $$$ what with 3 kids and all!).
What I want to ask is:

Has anyone moved interstate and how did they find it?
Anyone been to WA and NSW, and how did you find the differences?
Is the weather much different?
I notice housing is quite expensive, I presume the wages are better to balance this?

The company my husband is seeing is in Gosford West, so we would look to live within driving distance of that area.
Any help appreciated, as this all seems very scary considering we have only just (in Jan) moved to Aus from the UK.

Cherry
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Interstate - WA to NSW - advice please!

Originally Posted by cherry6
Hi everyone,

Havent posted for a while, been settling in in Perth (well Rockingham to be precise). Its very nice here and everything is fine, but my husband has a chance of a job in NSW. He works on a certain type of CNC machinery, which doesnt seem to exist in WA, but there are several businesses using them in NSW and one has shown interest in my hubby. I am about to send him over for an interview and get him to have a quick look at the area (neither of us has ever been to any other state, I would love to go with him to see it but airfares are too $$$ what with 3 kids and all!).
What I want to ask is:

I notice housing is quite expensive, I presume the wages are better to balance this?

The company my husband is seeing is in Gosford West, so we would look to live within driving distance of that area.
Any help appreciated, as this all seems very scary considering we have only just (in Jan) moved to Aus from the UK.

Cherry
Good luck to your husband on the Job Front - and to you too contemplating another move so soon.

Gosford is above Sydney but commuter distance for the high bits and holidays you may want to be in Sydney for. Gosford will be cheaper for housing and it is a lovely part of the country. Wages are usually higher, but negotiate as much as possible because they rarely take into consideration the higher cost of some of the housing.

And once you move to the East Coast I am sure you will realise it was a good move

have Fun
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:51 am
Just Joined

toos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

What I want to ask is:

Cherry
We are doing the opposite We have been in Sydney for 6 years and are moving to Perth next Friday :scared: Wages are better in Sydney but your housing is more expensive. We have been lucky that my hubby is transferring his job to Perth, so will keep his Sydney wage. Weather wise, Sydney warms up in September and can stay nice until mid April. I know the heat in WA is a lot drier than here and the summer lasts longer.

The worst thing for us has been the expense of moving interstate
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:57 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by toos
We are doing the opposite We have been in Sydney for 6 years and are moving to Perth next Friday :scared: Wages are better in Sydney but your housing is more expensive. We have been lucky that my hubby is transferring his job to Perth, so will keep his Sydney wage. Weather wise, Sydney warms up in September and can stay nice until mid April. I know the heat in WA is a lot drier than here and the summer lasts longer.

The worst thing for us has been the expense of moving interstate
Can I be nosy and ask what the expense was? I havent contacted anyone regarding removal costs, am wondering if its cheaper to DIY...
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Can I be nosy and ask what the expense was? I havent contacted anyone regarding removal costs, am wondering if its cheaper to DIY...
We had quotes ranging from $7,500 upto $11,00 and that is packing ourselves. Our car (People mover) will cost $1100 via TNT. Also we were told if you want to move between December & end of January the Removalists add on an extra 15% because everyone moves during that time I suppose it costs so much because it's so bloody far away
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:09 am
Wishing on a star...

Originally Posted by toos
We had quotes ranging from $7,500 upto $11,00 and that is packing ourselves. Our car (People mover) will cost $1100 via TNT. Also we were told if you want to move between December & end of January the Removalists add on an extra 15% because everyone moves during that time I suppose it costs so much because it's so bloody far away
Blimey :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Flipping heck that's pricey. That quote is more than it cost us to move from the UK. We are moving from WA to QLD mid next year, and although we have an idea of the cost of property over there, we haven't a clue how much it will cost for the removals. We have furniture for a 4 bed house to take across now too, only had a 2 bed in the UK! Hoping to rent so may well put most of our things in storage for a while too. Have to get some quotes but am really struggling to get up the enthusiasm to call in some removers yet again! Might leave it to the other half as he arranged everything like that in the UK. I just tell him whether or not we can afford it!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bella3
Flipping heck that's pricey. That quote is more than it cost us to move from the UK. We are moving from WA to QLD mid next year, and although we have an idea of the cost of property over there, we haven't a clue how much it will cost for the removals. We have furniture for a 4 bed house to take across now too, only had a 2 bed in the UK! Hoping to rent so may well put most of our things in storage for a while too. Have to get some quotes but am really struggling to get up the enthusiasm to call in some removers yet again! Might leave it to the other half as he arranged everything like that in the UK. I just tell him whether or not we can afford it!
I forgot to add that doesn't include boxes either, we already had them The cost of removalists to pack and supply boxes was around another $1500
Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:45 am
Wishing on a star...

I didnt expect the moving costs to be so high, I only paid £1,300 to move basic effects to Oz from UK, I dont see how they can charge more than that to move to what is a lesser distance.... Has anyone done the drive from WA to NSW? Seeing I have to drive the car across (am not paying extra for that as well) maybe my husband can drive a hired truck with our stuff in?
Also:
http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...ips/03/334.asp

is an alternative.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:54 am
ABCDiamond

I didnt expect the moving costs to be so high, I only paid £1,300 to move basic effects to Oz from UK, I dont see how they can charge more than that to move to what is a lesser distance.... Has anyone done the drive from WA to NSW? Seeing I have to drive the car across (am not paying extra for that as well) maybe my husband can drive a hired truck with our stuff in?
Also:

is an alternative.
When we moved Sydney to Brisbane, I am sure it cost us more than the UK to Sydney move.

Can you get a quote from an international shipper, send it by boat instead of road ?

Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Also:

is an alternative.
We got our boxes from the Moving Boxes (mentioned in the link). But it's amazing how much they charge for cardboard. We also looked into having a container delivered and packing it ourselves and they estimated around $5000 for the contents of a 5 bedroom house but were concerned that it might not fit into their container. We just didn't fancy lugging all the house contents down the driveway

http://www.northlinefreight.com.au/upackit.htm