Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving house/Renting - be aware

Moving house/Renting - be aware

Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving house/Renting - be aware

We moved house last Friday, from one rental property to another.

What is always an enjoyable experience was compounded by the following:

From my initial phone call Optus decided they needed 2-3 weeks notice to come round and connect us for Broadband and Foxtel. We're therefore without these services for a week. And I need to wait in all day for them - probably to arrive at 6pm.

For a 5 day period we are given a temporary phone number !!

AGL forgot to tell us to ensure that the mains supply at our new property was switched off. As such the engineer could not turn the supply on from the outside. It cost us $125 to get him to come back on the same day - and AGL would not confirm if he would come back. He arrived at 8pm Friday night and had he chosen to leave it we would have been without power until Monday night

Our removal firm charged by the hour and we estimated that we needed them for 4 hours. They took 8.5 hours. $600 became $1300.

The agent for the old property has just called saying that the premises has been left in an unacceptable state and our bond ($4,000) will be witheld. Why ? One mirror has a smudge, a couple of skirting boards are dusty, one worksurface has a smudge, there are 2 cobwebs and one set of venetian blinds is dusty. We paid these guys in excess of $66,000 in our time there and they now get anal about a small amount of dust. Believe me the property is in tip top condition and perfectly clean. So, back to the house we go tonight to clean the 2 smudges and persuade the resident spiders to hold off on their web spinning activities until after the next inspection.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving house/Renting - be aware

Oh god, sounds like a nightmare

re the bond bit, sounds like bollox to me, by all means do the cleaning they've specified BUT if they still refuse or keep part of it contact your local Tenants Advisory Group and get some advice! It sounds completely unreasonable to me that they are witholding your bond for a wee bit of dust...
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Oh god, sounds like a nightmare

re the bond bit, sounds like bollox to me, by all means do the cleaning they've specified BUT if they still refuse or keep part of it contact your local Tenants Advisory Group and get some advice! It sounds completely unreasonable to me that they are witholding your bond for a wee bit of dust...

Yeah I'd do that. I think they are trying it on.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
We moved house last Friday, from one rental property to another.

What is always an enjoyable experience was compounded by the following:

From my initial phone call Optus decided they needed 2-3 weeks notice to come round and connect us for Broadband and Foxtel. We're therefore without these services for a week. And I need to wait in all day for them - probably to arrive at 6pm.

For a 5 day period we are given a temporary phone number !!

AGL forgot to tell us to ensure that the mains supply at our new property was switched off. As such the engineer could not turn the supply on from the outside. It cost us $125 to get him to come back on the same day - and AGL would not confirm if he would come back. He arrived at 8pm Friday night and had he chosen to leave it we would have been without power until Monday night

Our removal firm charged by the hour and we estimated that we needed them for 4 hours. They took 8.5 hours. $600 became $1300.

The agent for the old property has just called saying that the premises has been left in an unacceptable state and our bond ($4,000) will be witheld. Why ? One mirror has a smudge, a couple of skirting boards are dusty, one worksurface has a smudge, there are 2 cobwebs and one set of venetian blinds is dusty. We paid these guys in excess of $66,000 in our time there and they now get anal about a small amount of dust. Believe me the property is in tip top condition and perfectly clean. So, back to the house we go tonight to clean the 2 smudges and persuade the resident spiders to hold off on their web spinning activities until after the next inspection.
Unfortunately all of the things you mention are generally specified as needing to be cleaned before check-out. All they will do is check the things on their list. When we cleaned at the end of our tenancy we ticked the things off the list they gave us one-by-one. They simply came round final inspection with the same list. Don't worry. Once they are satisfied you will get your bond back - less, of course, the $140 or so re-inspection fee. Much better than being on one of the tenant blacklist databases.

Mark
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved into our rental we went around with the agent and filled out the checklist. Brought along a camera and took photos of any places where the house was not absolutely perfect. We intend to do exactly the same thing when we move out. If there is any problem we'll have the photographic proof that we left the house the way we say.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When we moved into our rental we went around with the agent and filled out the checklist. Brought along a camera and took photos of any places where the house was not absolutely perfect. We intend to do exactly the same thing when we move out. If there is any problem we'll have the photographic proof that we left the house the way we say.
We did that too, although not so many photos needed on our last rental as it was brand new. But saying that, a bit had chipped of the end of the work surface and some cheeky bugger had glued it back in place - luckily I took a photo of it as soon as we noticed it because somehow it got knocked off and was never seen again. Because of the photo evidence the agent had to take the blame for not seeing it, rather than us having to cough up for a new work surface.

mbike: we were never given a list of specific things to make sure were clean, just had to clean the whole lot as new. Must admit, the venetian blind in the bathroom was dusty but it wasnt commented on.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:56 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I was like a crazy woman making sure everything was just right when we left as we were breaking lease and knew they would be all out to get what they could. It was cleaner than when we moved in ! There was a gardener included in the rent but I even made sure that was as tidy as it could be ! The agent said that all was great BUT the owner had checked it out as well and reckoned that there was to much clover in the grass and we should have treated it ???? Isn't that supposed to be the gardeners job ??? also the only reason anything looked green in the first place was because of the clover so it was definately already there !!! Anyway the cheeky sods retained $55 and as it wasn't loads we couldnt be arsed to argue. Its like they just HAVE to find SOMETHING so they can fleece you ...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

We've also never received any specific advice on what is required to be cleaned other than the original lease which states that the house must be "reasonably clean, and this includes the hob and oven".

I'll be kicking up a hell of a stink if they withold a further $140.

I've probably not helped my case though by telling the agent that I'll be using her as an example for my children - work hard at school kids otherwise you'll only be able to work at checking the condition of rental houses !!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We've also never received any specific advice on what is required to be cleaned other than the original lease which states that the house must be "reasonably clean, and this includes the hob and oven".

I'll be kicking up a hell of a stink if they withold a further $140.

I've probably not helped my case though by telling the agent that I'll be using her as an example for my children - work hard at school kids otherwise you'll only be able to work at checking the condition of rental houses !!
Bet that went down well
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I've insisted at being present at the check out tomorrow so I'll get to meet the delightful Alison - who apparently does not appreciate my sarcasm. It promises to be a fun filled 20 minutes...

Originally Posted by Wendy
Bet that went down well
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I've insisted at being present at the check out tomorrow so I'll get to meet the delightful Alison - who apparently does not appreciate my sarcasm. It promises to be a fun filled 20 minutes...
Oh can we come too

She doesnt work for Hodges does she?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Century 21 Wilson Pride. I expect her to arrive tomorrow with a bag of forensic kit that would resemble anything you see on CSI. No doubt she'll be telling me that she found miniscule traces of a stickly lollipop left under the stairs by a small child in October 2005.

Originally Posted by thebears
Oh can we come too

She doesnt work for Hodges does she?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Great advise,we did the same thing you then have the proof you need.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
I was like a crazy woman making sure everything was just right when we left as we were breaking lease and knew they would be all out to get what they could. It was cleaner than when we moved in ! There was a gardener included in the rent but I even made sure that was as tidy as it could be ! The agent said that all was great BUT the owner had checked it out as well and reckoned that there was to much clover in the grass and we should have treated it ???? Isn't that supposed to be the gardeners job ??? also the only reason anything looked green in the first place was because of the clover so it was definately already there !!! Anyway the cheeky sods retained $55 and as it wasn't loads we couldnt be arsed to argue. Its like they just HAVE to find SOMETHING so they can fleece you ...
Too much clover in the grass? I would have written the word "A**hole" in said lawn with delayed release weedkiller for that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.