British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Gold Coast advice welcome (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-gold-coast-advice-welcome-662903/)

Jayne T Apr 6th 2010 9:50 pm

Moving to Gold Coast advice welcome

Hi Guys

hoping to move to the Gold Coast this Summer. Looking at the exchange rate and cost of houses and rentals in that area and its scary!! Any advice welcome re: what area to look for temporary accommodation there are only 2of us. Would it be best to rent our house in England for now as opposed to selling and not being able to take the money over due to the exchange rate etc?

Love to hear from anyone else who has moved over recently!!! or just a wise person!!lol.:)

also is AUD$50000 classed as an ok salary not sure of average wages out there and cost of living!!?

thanks in advance

Jayne x

Jan n Neil Apr 7th 2010 12:17 am

Re: Moving to Gold Coast advice welcome

Hi Jayne got no idea on your question but i moved from Warrington to NZ so i thought i would say hello, wich bit are u in ?

Neil

Jayne T Apr 7th 2010 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8477479)
Hi Jayne got no idea on your question but i moved from Warrington to NZ so i thought i would say hello, wich bit are u in ?

Neil

Hi, Still in Great Sankey, taking ages for an agency to talk an employer round to sorting out paperwork for sponsorship for my husband's job!! I have my heart set on the Gold Coast now but wanting to find out more about accommodation that is reasonably priced and what area to look into. Plus thinking of renting out the house here but not sure if we should sell it and make the break. Its all made harder by the economy going rapidly down hill this end and prices high in Australia so its all easier said than done!!lol, I'm feeling a bit stressed about it!!! haha sure its worth it in the end. People I know made this move a few years back and the finances were on their side and have a good lifestyle. Hoping we can do the same even though major out of pocket to start us off!!! With the Government making it harder for us to get a Visa we are thinking if we don't get in now will we ever?? Any advice would be welcome.

johull Apr 8th 2010 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jayne T (Post 8478701)
Hi, Still in Great Sankey, taking ages for an agency to talk an employer round to sorting out paperwork for sponsorship for my husband's job!! I have my heart set on the Gold Coast now but wanting to find out more about accommodation that is reasonably priced and what area to look into. Plus thinking of renting out the house here but not sure if we should sell it and make the break. Its all made harder by the economy going rapidly down hill this end and prices high in Australia so its all easier said than done!!lol, I'm feeling a bit stressed about it!!! haha sure its worth it in the end. People I know made this move a few years back and the finances were on their side and have a good lifestyle. Hoping we can do the same even though major out of pocket to start us off!!! With the Government making it harder for us to get a Visa we are thinking if we don't get in now will we ever?? Any advice would be welcome.

Hi Jayne

We are on the Gold Coast, been here just over a year now. We couldnt sell our house so ended up renting it out, thankfully we have a nice tennant so thats one weight off our minds. We would have preferred to sell so we could buy here but are renting a house here at the moment. we hope to buy here and hopefully keep our UK house for as long as we can (and sell when and if the market picks up!!) We are both working and life is good, kids have settled in great and it has definately been worth it. Where abouts in the UK are you coming from?

Jo

Pommiebird Apr 8th 2010 3:10 am

Hi Jane,

i am new to this forum too.

I am on the Gold Coast albeit the Hinterland.....moved here from Cornwall 14 years ago.

I have no idea on what house prices are in the UK anymore so to sell or rent I can't help you...

$50000 is not a bad income. There are some great and bad suburbs on the Gold Coast like all areas. If theres any you like the sound of let me know to see if I can help.

:thumbsup:

SunnyMD Apr 10th 2010 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Jayne T (Post 8477174)
Hi Guys

hoping to move to the Gold Coast this Summer. Looking at the exchange rate and cost of houses and rentals in that area and its scary!! Any advice welcome re: what area to look for temporary accommodation there are only 2of us. Would it be best to rent our house in England for now as opposed to selling and not being able to take the money over due to the exchange rate etc?

Love to hear from anyone else who has moved over recently!!! or just a wise person!!lol.:)

also is AUD$50000 classed as an ok salary not sure of average wages out there and cost of living!!?

thanks in advance

Jayne x

Hi Jayne
We moved to GC from Manchester just over 2 years ago. We love it but even in that short time things have changed - interest rates went down and are now heading back up again, house prices dropped and are starting to creep up again, rents are expensive (I believe) and of course the exchange rate for you is now way down on what it was.

All that said, GC is AWESOME - you have theme parks, beach, city mountains and rainforest all within a 20 minute range and growth here is huge (which is good and bad depending on your point of view !!)

If you want any particular information please feel free to PM me and I will try to answer your questions

Good luck

Coppock Apr 10th 2010 8:10 am

Hi Jayne, congrats on the move! I'm sure it will be worth it :)

We've not left the uk but plan to move to the gold coast in a few years when we should qualify for a business visa.

We went to the gold coast for 2 weeks in 2008. It was amazing! Rained all fortnight :)
Seriously though it's a fantastic place, with so much to do and the beaches are glorious.

I know when we were looking for houses the ones inland were a bit cheaper, particularly nerang which didn't seem too bad (from driving through!)

I'm not sure where to go to find somewhere to let, but i'm sure if you budget and work hard you'll see the sun in the long run :)

Good luck!
Jen

Lymm Mover Apr 12th 2010 9:53 am

Hi Jayne,

Just like to say hi, we are from Lymm (as you can guess). We are hoping to move to the Sunshine Coast as soon as we can, we have our visa, but cannot sell our house. How did you find the housing market in Warrington?

shuffers Apr 12th 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Guys

thanks in advance

Jayne x

Hi Jayne - we're going from Lowton, Nr Warrington for a reccie visit in August with a view to going out next year permanently ( our 175 visa took 2.5 months from start to finish !) We're unsure of Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast but are staying in Gold Coast for 2 of the weeks so no doubt our views will be biased !! The housing dilemma is our next hurdle - seriously considering the rental route and saving like hell to have some funds to live off for a few months. Good luck with your search.. Jayne S

jan Apr 12th 2010 1:48 pm

[QUOTE=Jayne T;8477174]Hi Guys

I would defo keep the u.k.house until the market improves as i am sure it will.
No one has a crystal ball but i would suggest the exchange rate will be higher at some point over the next five years. I would bet on a rate of $2.00 by end 2012 pound defo under value at the moment.
Inflation is under control in the u.k. in oz it is very expensive cost of living for essensuals. Beer.soft drinks. toiletries all at least double the cost generally.
Renting in oz is cheap compared with the u.k. and property defo yields more in the u.k. cosidering the cost of borrowing.
Lets wait for the muppets to slate my comments!
Its only opinions and exp.

Jayne T Apr 12th 2010 5:46 pm

[QUOTE=jan;8490133]

Hi Guys

I would defo keep the u.k.house until the market improves as i am sure it will.
No one has a crystal ball but i would suggest the exchange rate will be higher at some point over the next five years. I would bet on a rate of $2.00 by end 2012 pound defo under value at the moment.
Inflation is under control in the u.k. in oz it is very expensive cost of living for essensuals. Beer.soft drinks. toiletries all at least double the cost generally.
Renting in oz is cheap compared with the u.k. and property defo yields more in the u.k. cosidering the cost of borrowing.
Lets wait for the muppets to slate my comments!
Its only opinions and exp.

Thanks for all the comemnts guys, nice to hear from people from the North West and Warrignton area too!! lots of us in the same boat! Still waiting on the Aussie employment paper work to be done then go in for the visa and will most probably rent the house for now. The only thing is I thought the rent on the Gold Coast is pricey so will be under pressure to buy probably unless the mortgage lending rate is high as I suspect. Then will need to access cash from here and sell the house quick!!! If we sell the house now and it all falls through it will be too much stress at the moment plus the value is not the best to sell for. I visted Brisbane and Byron Bay and Noosa on a visit last year and thought they were lovely the Gold Coast is just central so thought the area looked the best place to head to hence getting a job all being well for my husband in that area. Love to know how everyone else is getting on with their move dramas too. Also what areas are nice too live in on the Gold, Coast area and not too pricey plus the worst to look out for too!!