Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Furniture on a bridging visa

Moving Furniture on a bridging visa

Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving Furniture on a bridging visa

Hi
My friend is on a bridging visa and wants to bring his furniture into Australia so that he can rent a house.
Does anyone know whether this is allowed or not?
Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving Furniture on a bridging visa

Oops . . signed off to quickly . . .

if he is not allowed to bring it in on a bridging visa, is there any other way we can bring it in?
Would I be allowed to import second hand goods?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

bump - help!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, bridging visas carry the same restrictions as the original visa he entered on so why did he not bring it with him on his original visa? Did the original visa requirements preclude settling here? One assumes that he has a bridging visa pending an application for some other visa in which case what will the new visa be? I cant imagine that they would ever stop anyone bringing their belongings into the country but if there is a likelihood that he wont get the visa he has applied for and will be required to leave the country why would you bother bringing stuff here?

He doesnt need furniture to rent a house either, many come furnished or he could buy the bare basics to make sure the place is habitable for probably less than it would cost to send his stuff over.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your response.

He came on a visitors visa and has applied to stay. He is 99% guaranteed to get the permanent visa, but has to wait between 6 and 12 months for it.

He is aware that you can get furnished accommodation, but obviously he would love to have his own belongings with him.