Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving firearms to Australia

Moving firearms to Australia

Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:39 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question Moving firearms to Australia

Wondering if anyone can shed some light....
we have a couple of legal registered firearms in the uk and we are looking to move to Australia, does anyone know what procedures we would need to take to bring these to Australia and whether we would have to do it before we left or when we get there, also how to transport them??
Thanks for any help
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving firearms to Australia

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Wondering if anyone can shed some light....
we have a couple of legal registered firearms in the uk and we are looking to move to Australia, does anyone know what procedures we would need to take to bring these to Australia and whether we would have to do it before we left or when we get there, also how to transport them??
Thanks for any help
Which State are you thinking of moving to ? - rules can differ greatly across the country
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:44 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Which State are you thinking of moving to ? - rules can differ greatly across the country
Perth
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:13 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Start here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp
then contact your airline regarding their regulations for transport, they'd tell you more.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:46 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by newjersey
Start here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp
then contact your airline regarding their regulations for transport, they'd tell you more.
fank you
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Gun laws are made at the State level in Australia, supposedly, but in reality the custom laws of Australia on firearms have been made fantastically complex because the police power resides with the States.

Western Australia requires basically a separate licence for each gun.

Bear in mind that semi-auto long guns are very tightly controlled (e.g. .22 semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns, which a lot of people in the UK have) as well as pump-action shotguns. Generally only people whose occupation is large-scale pest control can have them, although I think some States allow semi-auto shotguns for target shooters who are a member of a club.

Unless you've got something rare or unusual, my advice would be to sell them in the UK where you'll probably get more money and then get replacements in Australia. You may end up ahead and you will save yourself a big headache with customs and the police. When you arrive, complete the licensing requirements and then get new ones.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservi...1/Default.aspx
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:28 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Steve_
Gun laws are made at the State level in Australia, supposedly, but in reality the custom laws of Australia on firearms have been made fantastically complex because the police power resides with the States.

Western Australia requires basically a separate licence for each gun.

Bear in mind that semi-auto long guns are very tightly controlled (e.g. .22 semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns, which a lot of people in the UK have) as well as pump-action shotguns. Generally only people whose occupation is large-scale pest control can have them, although I think some States allow semi-auto shotguns for target shooters who are a member of a club.

Unless you've got something rare or unusual, my advice would be to sell them in the UK where you'll probably get more money and then get replacements in Australia. You may end up ahead and you will save yourself a big headache with customs and the police. When you arrive, complete the licensing requirements and then get new ones.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservi...1/Default.aspx
Thanks Steve, OH thought he would probably be better off to sell his .22 riffle however he has a perazzi 12 bore shot gun which he has shot in the British open twice with, he doesn't want to sell. How would we stand with just that gun. I have sought out clubs where he would be able to become a member of once we are over there.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Tingle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Thanks Steve, OH thought he would probably be better off to sell his .22 riffle however he has a perazzi 12 bore shot gun which he has shot in the British open twice with, he doesn't want to sell. How would we stand with just that gun. I have sought out clubs where he would be able to become a member of once we are over there.
My advise would be to just put it in your hand luggage and pretend they were hockey sticks or something.....but please don't listen to me, i'm a complete idiot. I got caught twice trying to do that.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

From what I've heard on these boards, you need to be well armed to survive in Perth..
Old Dec 25th 2011, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Toddzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

First off good luck!!!!

The only option will be to gain permission from customs import it pay charges to store for 4-5 months in this time you will need to join a relevant firearms club or buy land

Then if club wait probation time then buy safe then apply and start firearms licensing procedures

The basis of firearms in Australia is you must have a guinene reason, not just like owning guns

Hope this helps
Old Dec 25th 2011, 11:09 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Toddzilla
First off good luck!!!!

The only option will be to gain permission from customs import it pay charges to store for 4-5 months in this time you will need to join a relevant firearms club or buy land

Then if club wait probation time then buy safe then apply and start firearms licensing procedures

The basis of firearms in Australia is you must have a guinene reason, not just like owning guns

Hope this helps

Thanks, we are probably looking at selling his air riffle and firearms but to try to take his shotgun. I have sent emails to customs and the police but both really vague. I might get my friend to look after them (officially of course) and then when all settle with licence over there arrange for my friend to come over with it. I'm gonna see if that is an easier way of doing it .... Got a bit of time to sort it out so that's good. Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 25th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Hi there, we moved over 5 years ago and I looked at bringing my two shotguns over but decided to sell them as when I weighed up the costs involved in doing so it made more sense to buy a new one here. The major costs involved were finding shippers to do it, 5 years ago there was only one company in the UK and they were really expensive, then like an earlier poster said you need to find someone who will go and collect from customs and store them until such time you can apply to the Police and get your own license then you can collect from the dealer who has been storing them for you. Hope this helps and good luck with your move.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:09 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by pogsy
Hi there, we moved over 5 years ago and I looked at bringing my two shotguns over but decided to sell them as when I weighed up the costs involved in doing so it made more sense to buy a new one here. The major costs involved were finding shippers to do it, 5 years ago there was only one company in the UK and they were really expensive, then like an earlier poster said you need to find someone who will go and collect from customs and store them until such time you can apply to the Police and get your own license then you can collect from the dealer who has been storing them for you. Hope this helps and good luck with your move.
Thanks for that, do you remember what the company you went to was called? I know if you take a gun to Europe you can put it in a secure case and check it in when you fly like your suitcases, I'm now guessing from your comment that you can't do that? My plan was to get my friend a shotgun licence n get them to keep them for us till such time that we apply a get accepted for a licence in WA and then get my friend to bring it over with him... Do you not think this would work?
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Sorry can not remember which company it was but I found out through our shipping agent (John Masons) they put me onto them. I guess that as long as your freind has the relevant license it should be OK. I would just check with customs their requirement re: who can pick it up and all the relavant import documents as they would be deemed to be the importer.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Toddzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get stuck pm me I may be able. To help