Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Family into a Unit from a House

Moving Family into a Unit from a House

Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:48 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Family into a Unit from a House

I've talked before on here about the difficulties we're having getting settled. We've always lived near a town centre so have decide to move into Southport. The problem with this is getting a house, but there's loads of units. I was just trying to gauge some opinions on moving a family of two adults and two young kids into a unit. It's 3 bed with a pool in complex, but it's not something I'm used to to. Does anyone have any experince of these sort of complexes? Good points/ bad points?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:54 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Family into a Unit from a House

Originally Posted by diddy
I've talked before on here about the difficulties we're having getting settled. We've always lived near a town centre so have decide to move into Southport. The problem with this is getting a house, but there's loads of units. I was just trying to gauge some opinions on moving a family of two adults and two young kids into a unit. It's 3 bed with a pool in complex, but it's not something I'm used to to. Does anyone have any experince of these sort of complexes? Good points/ bad points?

Thanks,

Paul.
No advice, but looking forward to the replies as this is something we have considered too. I love the idea of the kids meeting other kids in the complex pool or on the tennis courts etc.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Thanks,

Paul.
Hi Paul,

I know it makes it so hard as your wife doesn't drive and to get just about anywhere you have to drive unless you live very central, if you want to get near to Southport you would probably have to pick a unit. We looked at complexes when we first arrived but got very quickly put off as everyone we went to said no bikes, no scooters no rollerblades, the kids weren't free to do much, so many people put us off them. Maybe someone on here does live in a complex and could tell you better, but remember you won't have a garden for the kids in a unit and neighbours can be horrible when they start complaining about every noise the kids make, most of these units have loads of oldies.
can't you move to an area that has everything your looking for in a walking distance, southport is nice but really what has it got that other areas don't, ie shops, parks, supermarkets, you can get all these things in loads of areas on the GC and if you get a property within walking distance it might make things a lot easier for your wife and the kids.
I think you should really consider all the cons of moving to a unit before you do it. I really hope you find what your looking for and you all start to settle, it really is a great place once you get over the hard parts

Lisa
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi diddy

I haven't got first hand experience . I asked my friend who rented on a complex and here's what she had to say......

Positives
  • Amenities generally on your door step or close by, so convenient
  • Pool looked after by caretaker so always clean and tidy
  • Outside areas generally kept nice and clean
  • Community feel / community spirit
  • Kids play together in own age groups - plenty of friends
  • Feels more secure as generally guests can only access with a security pass or a security system of some sort
  • All units tend to be around the same age and standard of upkeep is good i.e you don't tend to see any dilapidated units in same complex
  • Less chance of kiddy fiddlers getting in so kids feel safer [although of course doesnt stop residents if they are this way inclined!]
Negatives
  • In summer the pool is heaving and busy with kids and visitors and BBQ areas taken up
  • Community spirit can make you feel hemmed in and everyone knows your business
  • If you are in an area with older people, they may resent kids playing in groups and make your life miserable complaining about ball games etc
  • Nuisance having to let people in via security system
  • Feeling a loss of individuality,away from real world
  • Units tend to be smaller and not as much outside area
That was more or less it Paul.

Hope this helps m8....

Good luck

I do hope diddy is feelin more at home soon
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:33 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I suspect we'll give it a go as we really don't have anything to lose, as it's getting close to going back. The hard bit now is getting out of one lease and into another.

Ta,

Paul.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:38 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I suspect we'll give it a go as we really don't have anything to lose, as it's getting close to going back. The hard bit now is getting out of one lease and into another.

Ta,

Paul.

just ask ur current rental agent if they can find somebody to take over your lease...if they can then u wont have to pay any penalties, try sticking with the same rental agency for your new place see what they can do for ya...best of luck mate
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:41 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta,

Paul.
Go for it Paul. What have you got to lose?

At least then you can say you tried and Aus wasn't for you

I must have missed your threads on why diddy's unhappy. Is it the area d'ya think? I'm not knocking GC....cos there are some lovely places up there, but what I mean is maybe being somewhere else with handy busses and train and a town might help?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:11 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Have you thought of trying a proper town and not one of the Coasts or Brisbane ? Just a thought from one who has done his time in the suburbs.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:19 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about moving to nearer brisbane - Cleveland for example is mid-way brisbane to gold coast. You certainly dont need a car to get buy for going for coffee/shops/nice walk/parks for kids/school etc. They're all about 10-15 minute walk radius if you move to right place.

Its on train line so can get into the CBD in 55minutes on train, or 30-40 in car. Goldcoast is 30 minutes the other way.

Local village/town atmosphere, lots of facilities, amenities, parks, cafes , shops, all walkable from the housey bits. Biggish place with about 4 main streets of shops and things. Its on the coast so there is a teeny weeny beach , and some nicer beaches near (nothing like goldcoast though - tihnk more sandy enclave than surfers paradise). Good state school (and many of them) + kindy nearby.

Plus lots of expats and some social tings going on like ladies meet once a wweek (apparently, I just see Mrs Spalen leave and come back - I hope she's meeting other pom wimmin and not pom/aussie blokes).
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Diddy,

I did 18 months in Helensvale and never settled. I had a car, so can't imagine how not having a car would be. I feel very sorry for your wife.

We moved to Sydney and loved it from Day 1. Highly recommended if you can afford it. Now we have just moved to HK on a 2 year contract. We are in a small 3 bedroom flat also with 2 kids. The building has a share pool and park and we love it. No more pool cleaning or lawn mowing. I like the fact that other people are there, and the kids always find others to play with - stops them fighting. We also don't have a car, and are managing fine so far.

When we go back to Oz we will definitely consider selling the house and buying a unit. It has also made us closer as a family due to physical closeness, if that makes sense to you.

Queenie

Thanks,

Paul.