Reload this Page >

moving EUR funds to Oz

moving EUR funds to Oz

Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

anpham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving EUR funds to Oz

Hello there!
Does anyone know what the best way to move your savings to OZ without losing too much? Are there any declarations that we need to make to the australian authority? How is banking in Australia?
Many thanks,
An
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving EUR funds to Oz

Originally posted by anpham
Hello there!
Does anyone know what the best way to move your savings to OZ without losing too much? Are there any declarations that we need to make to the australian authority? How is banking in Australia?
Many thanks,
An
Hoi!

Well, I made an appointment with the bank (rabo) about this the other week, and that was a waste of time, because for us the answer was simple.
We have internetbankieren here, so all we have to do is open an account in Oz (via internet, we are going with Commonwealth, www.commbank.com.au I think)
and then just transfer it yourself, via internet. Very simple!
You can also keep an account here, but have to transfer a minimum amount into it each month (50 euro I think, but you can do this with an automatische overboeking)

I don't think there's any special declarations, and banking is the same mostly. though I do think there's often more costs when using an atm? Or there's a maximum and then after that you have to pay each time?? Not sure, but nearly all banks are the same anyway, so....

Welcome to the forum!!
(have you discovered the prikbord of emigratie.pagina.nl also??)
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Simone,
Thank you for the tip. I have internet banking via ABN AMRO and will probably do the same. Do you have any hints re: movers?

I have checked the page but it's in Dutch and won't have the time to learn the language before I leave ))
(have you discovered the prikbord of emigratie.pagina.nl also??) [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:12 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simone,
Thank you for the tip. I have internet banking via ABN AMRO and will probably do the same. Do you have any hints re: movers?

I have checked the page but it's in Dutch and won't have the time to learn the language before I leave ))
(have you discovered the prikbord of emigratie.pagina.nl also??)
[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok!

Well, I've just had lots of quotes done(internet and email), but haven't sorted them properly yet.
We are going to do the packing ouselves, and will probably go with a shipping company instead of a moving company (verhuis).
The cheapest till now is :
ALLWAYS TRANSPORT BV
Einsteinstraat 14k
3316 GG Dordrecht
The Netherlands
Ph: (0031) +78 6311877
fx: (0031) +78 6312935
E-mail: [email protected]
web: www.allwaystransport.nl

And they (Edo Smits) was also friendly and helpful when emailing. I asked what the price would be if we packed ourselves, and we'd get 1000 EUR discount.
But, I still have to look at all the differences with the other quotes. We're not planning on sending it till June, so I have the time...
But when I look at it more clearly, I'll let you know!

Just make sure you get lots of quotes!!! There are differences! In price and what's inlcuded and also the explanation, and also in the detail/breakdown of the quote. All very interesting
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

UK based currency dealers like Halewood International will convert EUR to AUD for you, no problem, and secure you a good rate vs what most banks offer. If you're not based in the UK, not an issue, you'd just send a Telegraphic Transaction payment to London to cover the deal (in EUR), that should only cost about EUR25.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Simone!
Moving to OZ is exciting but what a headache! It's a good opportunity to get rid of clutter though. We've been throwing away tons of $#^(#!
Thank you for the link to allwaystransport. We got a quote with Allied, 20m3 for EUR4,000, (or 11m3 for EUR3,000) excluding insurance. We also had a quote from another company, not as competitive. We'll try to get a quote from allwaystransport....
27C in Sydney... and 6 weeks to go...
Talk to you soon!
An
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,
Thank you for the tip. Have you used them? Is it safe? Is there a bit difference between their exchange rate and the one offered by banks?
Cheers,
An

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
UK based currency dealers like Halewood International will convert EUR to AUD for you, no problem, and secure you a good rate vs what most banks offer. If you're not based in the UK, not an issue, you'd just send a Telegraphic Transaction payment to London to cover the deal (in EUR), that should only cost about EUR25.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:11 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Thank you for the tip. Have you used them? Is it safe? Is there a bit difference between their exchange rate and the one offered by banks?
Cheers,
An
I've used them, they enjoy a good reputation. They generally offer a slightly better rate than high street banks.