Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Down Under

Moving Down Under

Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Down Under

Unfortunatly someone from this site hacked movingdownunder.co.uk and used it to hack other sites on the server, so I have had to shut it down.

Whoever did it. Thanks.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:07 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving Down Under

Originally posted by karawara88
Unfortunatly someone from this site hacked movingdownunder.co.uk and used it to hack other sites on the server, so I have had to shut it down.

Whoever did it. Thanks.
Will you be able to get it up and running again. I ask as I found it such a useful site. I am not techie enough to understand the hacking

Jo
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:09 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Really sorry to hear this. I found the site getting more useful by the day, especially the Sydney links ! You put a lot of work into the site and I hope it has not been lost.
I dont really understand how web sites work can you get it back up and running again under the same address/new address?

What with this, the comments on spam and the hijacked threads this forum is obviously not going through one of it's better periods.

Dinky
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will you be able to get it up and running again. I ask as I found it such a useful site. I am not techie enough to understand the hacking
Hi Jo.

I will try and get it back up and running, willl have to find a cheap host. Where its hosted at the moment will not let me access it to retrive files, while they investigate.

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 9th 2003 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:23 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jo.

I will try and get it back up and running, willl have to find a cheap host. Where its hosted at the moment will not let me access it to retrive files, while they investigate.
FIngers crossed. How awful though all the time and effort you put into it and there is always one who ruins it. What would someone gain from hacking into the site???

J
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Thats very unfortunate. I too thought it was developing into a very good site. Please don't let some prick put you off.....

For hosting....try http://www.iwdwebhosting.co.uk

They do a package for 100mb and 1gb bw for £2 a month. Weve found them to be very good.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

For now its back up and running. but I am in dispute with the hosts as they should take responsibility as they are supposed to have secure servers.

It seems they hacked the site and then used it to hack other servers on the network. Dont understand it all myself. Some people have nothing better to do.

Pety I will look at that hosting site. Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2003, 3:19 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default hiya Donna and Chris

just clicked on link but its not working

love lisa
xxx
Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

They closed it down so looks like I will have to move it. All I have been told is whoever hacked it caused a lot of damage and they can not take the chance of having it on the server.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Donna & Chris

I have just sent you a pm

Diane

They closed it down so looks like I will have to move it. All I have been told is whoever hacked it caused a lot of damage and they can not take the chance of having it on the server.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:35 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Chris...

Is this a service you are paying for? If it is i would be a tad irate if i were you. Its the web hosting companies responsibility to maintaint the security of thier own servers. They cannot expect you to know how to protect the site from hackers...

The security for the site is at ther server end, not the website itsself is it not? All you do is upload content.

Pete.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Donna and Chris,

very sorry to hear your news. It is a great site and I hope you get it up and running again soon.

I am a bit baffled as to why they hold you responsible? From what you have told us the hacker visited the expats site, saw the link to Moving Down Under and did his thing. How is that your fault?

Assuming that your ISP hosted other sites then the hacker could quite easily have gained access that way as well. What would they do, shut everyone down?

As you said earlier it is their responsibility to keep the server secure. Sounds like a bum rap to me.

Were you able to back up your files onto your PC before they shut you out?

Good luck

Bill & Sindy
Old Jun 9th 2003, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Down Under

Whoever did it. Thanks.
There's some sad folks about. I found this site very useful and was grateful that you took the time to create it.

I hope you find another host.

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is this a service you are paying for? If it is i would be a tad irate if i were you. Its the web hosting companies responsibility to maintaint the security of thier own servers. They cannot expect you to know how to protect the site from hackers...
It is a service I pay for, but I have no way of proving that it was not me, it appears that someone hacked the site and installed somthing on my domain and used that to try and hack other sites on the same server. I have no idea how this works or how they did this. My host has said that he wants the site off the server, yet the other nine sites I host are OK. !! Its really annoying.

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 9th 2003 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 7:27 pm
A Male Member

Hmmmm theres somthing a bit fishy there...

The server would have a detailed log of who uploaded what and when. They would have the IP address of anyone who queried (and hence uploaded) to your site.

My opinion....take all of your business elsewhere...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.