British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Coogee? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-coogee-279778/)

4lex Jan 25th 2005 2:49 am

Moving to Coogee?

G'day folks,

I'm looking to move house, into rented accomodation initially, and have been thinking about Coogee (NSW).

What we're after is a sea view, less than half hour public transport commute to CBD and a compromise between reasonably quiet and easy access to shops/bars/cafes etc.

In terms of what sort of property, not really bothered, but needs to be 2-3 beds and have parking for one car, budget around $3-400.

Anyone have any recommendations for areas other than coogee to check out? Is it pretty much taken as read that all leased property is paid on a weekly basis?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Alex

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:08 am

Re: Moving to Coogee?

300-400 a week will get you a 2 bedroom flat around the Eastern Burbs. Forget the sea view and house thing at that price. Have a look at rentals on www.domain.com.au . There maybe housing elsewhere for your price but not on a beach with a 30 minute commute. Water views and car spaces come at a premium.

Which bit do you want to compromise on. Rentals are normally quoted on a weekly basis. I pay mine fortnightly.

Good luck.

4lex Jan 25th 2005 3:32 am

None of them. Have already found three 2bed and one 3bed with sea view and parking in the price range in Coogee & Coogee South. OK they're not recently fitted out with wooden floors and stainless kitchens, but that's less important to us.

Is the market quite seasonal round these parts? I imagine there'd be more on the market come the end of the summer, with all the holidaymakers clearing off?

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:52 am

Originally Posted by 4lex
None of them. Have already found three 2bed and one 3bed with sea view and parking in the price range in Coogee & Coogee South. OK they're not recently fitted out with wooden floors and stainless kitchens, but that's less important to us.

Is the market quite seasonal round these parts? I imagine there'd be more on the market come the end of the summer, with all the holidaymakers clearing off?

There is a peak around Xmas with the working holiday makers but I doubt you would be competing for the same properties. Good luck. Polished wooden floors have been the fad for DIYers in the last 5 years and the bane of those in the flat below. Again good luck with your price range but I would go to 400 - 500 for a house and look further south towards Maroubra but not as far as Malabar.

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:54 am

www.131500.com.au and www.whereis.com.au are guides to travelling although whereis times at rush hour should be doubled.

sally brooks Jan 25th 2005 4:03 am

G'day folks,

I'm looking to move house, into rented accomodation initially, and have been thinking about Coogee (NSW).

What we're after is a sea view, less than half hour public transport commute to CBD and a compromise between reasonably quiet and easy access to shops/bars/cafes etc.

In terms of what sort of property, not really bothered, but needs to be 2-3 beds and have parking for one car, budget around $3-400.

Anyone have any recommendations for areas other than coogee to check out? Is it pretty much taken as read that all leased property is paid on a weekly basis?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Alex

Hi Alex,

I lived in Coogee the first two years I moved here - and it is a fantastic place. Until we moved, we paid $430 a week for a two bed newly build apartment with security parking. No ocean view but we traded that for the sunset.
Coogee certainly has the cafes etc and on most mornings no more than 30 mins into CBD. For your budget a full on ocean view might be pushing it, but you might get a side view instead. I moved to the inner west - Glebe - for work reasons just under 2 years ago now and would love to move back to Coogee. Clovelly is also great - next bay along, a touch quieter than Coogee but more houses as opposed to apartments and I think a bit better value - you can walk to coogee in about 20mins. Also Bronte is great - mainly families there.
Good Luck

4lex Jan 25th 2005 4:14 am

Cheers. I'd settle for a side view certainly, even if only from the balcony - and obviously I'm not talking beach facing for the money, just enough of a reminder of why we came!

Coogee Rocks Jan 25th 2005 4:23 am

Well that’s where I live!

Can get a little bit noisy on the weekends what with the 'Theatre of Dreams' -the Coogee bay Hotel kicking out.

Bondi's right it gets much busier in summer with lots of WHV and backpackers around.

Loads of Bus's. Its going to take you 30 mins to get in to the city in the morning at rush hour (sometimes a little more sometimes less) on the express bus and then walk from there.

Clovelly is quieter but cheaper, Bronte costs a fair bit more, Maraobra more then 30 mins commute.

We park on the road that can be annoying when all the spaces are full but mostly OK.

I do love having my sea view and being able to come back from work and swim in the sea or in the Ocean pool. But all my mates live in the Inner west, which is a bugger. And its not the best place to go out at night unless your 18!

Sometimes your neighbors can complain if you run around or have any fun as they think your flat is going to turn into a backpacker’s room! Our flat is very cool in summer but theres no noise proofing!

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 4:26 am

Cheers. I'd settle for a side view certainly, even if only from the balcony - and obviously I'm not talking beach facing for the money, just enough of a reminder of why we came!

The beach suburbs are great to live in. Bronte is my favourite but good rentals are hard to find. BTW I pay 300 a week for a 2 bed flat with no water views (can see Bondi from the bedroom) and on street parking. This is an art deco era flat.

Something else to note is that you can negotiate landlords down as they are a bit desparate at the moment. I have not had a rent increase in 2 years.

4lex Jan 25th 2005 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Coogee Rocks
Well that’s where I live!

<snip>

I do love having my sea view and being able to come back from work and swim in the sea or in the Ocean pool. But all my mates live in the Inner west, which is a bugger. And its not the best place to go out at night unless your 18!

Want to swap for my place in Marrickville then? New n' cheap!

Dinky Jan 25th 2005 7:11 am

One downside of Coogee are the planes! Having breakfast at the cafes is fun until a 747 comes over!!

We're in Bellevue Hill, about 15mins walk to Bondi and the same to the Junction (shops and great transport) and Double Pay -bliss but no water views.

Dinky

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Dinky
One downside of Coogee are the planes! Having breakfast at the cafes is fun until a 747 comes over!!

We're in Bellevue Hill, about 15mins walk to Bondi and the same to the Junction (shops and great transport) and Double Pay -bliss but no water views.

Dinky

Bellevue hill water views are spectacular but pricey. I quite like it there.

NickyC Jan 25th 2005 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Dinky

Dinky

Aircraft only come in over Coogee when the wind is blowing in a particular direction (westerly?) and they can't use the either of the runways that extend into Botany Bay. Thankfully it's not that common and seems to happen more in the winter.

I happen to think that Coogee is fantastic. Close to the city and Bondi Junction, a good beach for lying on with surf that's scorned by real surfers (which suits me no end as it's not too rough), heaps of food options and a Woollies supermarket just down the road. What more could you want?

And we have valley AND water views from where I am. In fact the only problem is the steepish hill you have to climb to get here.

Coogee Rocks Jan 26th 2005 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by nickyc
Aircraft only come in over Coogee when the wind is blowing in a particular direction (westerly?) and they can't use the either of the runways that extend into Botany Bay. Thankfully it's not that common and seems to happen more in the winter.

I happen to think that Coogee is fantastic. Close to the city and Bondi Junction, a good beach for lying on with surf that's scorned by real surfers (which suits me no end as it's not too rough), heaps of food options and a Woollies supermarket just down the road. What more could you want?

And we have valley AND water views from where I am. In fact the only problem is the steepish hill you have to climb to get here.

Sounds like you live near me! I actauly have grown to enjoy the walk up the hill - good for the legs!

We have a view of the sea and of Wedding Cake Island hence - Coogee Rocks.

RichS Jan 26th 2005 11:12 pm

Coogee is a great spot for a few beers and a feed. It is however rampant with backpackers - one of my pet hates.

I'm sticking with Maroubra...locals only as it says on the wall.