Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to which city?

Moving to which city?

Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to which city?

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I'm eyeing up a job at $65k, on the outskirts of Sydney. Having looked at realestate.com.au I now know a pool and garden are most definitely out of reach! (I am a single no dependents, possibly bring a partner later).

I can find nice-ish places around 5-600 rent per week but even then I wonder if that's a stretch given the wage is @ $1000 per week after tax.

That ratio is possible in the UK although its certainly far from ideal. I lived like that 10 years ago when starting out, even managed a little bit of partying but was broke the last few days of the month.

I was expecting to take a pay cut and this seems representative of wages outside Sydney. Little disappointed that the cut is even less than I hoped for but it always seems to work that way in life.
Just as well you're not looking at Canberra on that salary then, it's definitely beans on toast money! Although, as you don't have dependents it might mean the occasional splurge on a Maccas.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I readjusted my expectations pretty quickly as my jaw hit the floor when I saw the rent costs in Sydney lol. I suppose its like asking for a house in London with a large garden - not gonna happen.

Looking at areas like Newcastle, seems far cheaper and nicer, if only there was some IT work around there.
Ah no. Sydney is perfectly fine with a Sydney salary. You on the other hand are not earning a Sydney salary. Are you a fresh out of college junior because that is what you are receiving?

Change the salary.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

$65k sounds very low for a Software Developer in Sydney imho.

Have you had a look on seek.com.au?
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Dont move to Redland Bay, no train zilch.

Always follow the train line, out towards water...

so Manly, Manly West, Wynnum, Wynnum West, Lota, Thorneside, Birkdale, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Cleveland

For Brizzy this is
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
$65k sounds very low for a Software Developer in Sydney imho.

Have you had a look on seek.com.au?
That's where I have been looking.

I'm in my mid 30's so I would like to live somewhere quiet, near a beach, jungly with access to fishing spots, MTB routes. I don't really swim or surf but beaches are good walks. Ideally approx. 30 mins drive from work.

CBD pays higher as expected, but I don't want to travel 3hrs each day so I'm looking more outskirts like northern beaches and the going rate seems to be 60-80 for a senior dev.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in my mid 30's so I would like to live somewhere quiet, near a beach, jungly with access to fishing spots, MTB routes. I don't really swim or surf but beaches are good walks. Ideally approx. 30 mins drive from work.

CBD pays higher as expected, but I don't want to travel 3hrs each day so I'm looking more outskirts like northern beaches and the going rate seems to be 60-80 for a senior dev.
The joys of competing with the Indians. Low salaries. Cronulla. Compute is an hour but an easy commute, by the beach, MTB in the national park, and lots of young pretty blonde local girls running around.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney does not have jungles near the beach as far as I know. And Sydney beach suburbs are not particularly quiet either, they are popular and busy places.

They are also expensive, northern beaches is an expensive place to live and affording your own place there is not realistic on 65k. We live there and pay more than that in rent every year. This is a a 3 bed house, but even a unit would be a large % of income.

I really think you need to look at the CBD for work opportunities not the "outskirts" if you are thinking of Sydney. And also rethink your expectations on commute time, you don't need to travel 3 hours a day, but probably a 30 minute journey is not realistic either.

At the moment your desires for 30 minute commutes, living near a Sydney beach are just not compatible with the salary levels you have mentioned.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 12th 2014 at 6:48 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

move to brisbane cbd and you can walk around the man made beach at southbank
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The joys of competing with the Indians. Low salaries. Cronulla. Compute is an hour but an easy commute, by the beach, MTB in the national park, and lots of young pretty blonde local girls running around.
I utterly regret getting into IT as it ties you down to a big city and I really love the country life. Certainly working in London seemed really exciting in my early 20s but after a bit of that I now am allergic to long commutes, crowds and noise.

However, I manage ok in the UK, 2 years ago moved out to the country Wilts/Dorset border in a cottage and can drive less than an hour to places of work. Trouble is the net seems to be shrinking, I reckon my even local town has about as much bustle as Sydney. Then the weather isn't to my liking.

Having a pool and that isn't such a big deal I guess but having access to nature would certainly be up there as I love walking, fishing and MTB (Fishing at my local river is £200 per rod per day). Don't even want a big place but a garden would be nice as I recently took up gardening.

I did find Sydney rather quiet TBH compared to London and the beaches just nothing as busy as Bournemouth and you have some nice nature an hours drive away although I'd really like something on my front door.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I utterly regret getting into IT as it ties you down to a big city and I really love the country life. Certainly working in London seemed really exciting in my early 20s but after a bit of that I now am allergic to long commutes, crowds and noise.

However, I manage ok in the UK, 2 years ago moved out to the country Wilts/Dorset border in a cottage and can drive less than an hour to places of work. Trouble is the net seems to be shrinking, I reckon my even local town has about as much bustle as Sydney. Then the weather isn't to my liking.

Having a pool and that isn't such a big deal I guess but having access to nature would certainly be up there as I love walking, fishing and MTB (Fishing at my local river is £200 per rod per day). Don't even want a big place but a garden would be nice as I recently took up gardening.

I did find Sydney rather quiet TBH compared to London and the beaches just nothing as busy as Bournemouth and you have some nice nature an hours drive away although I'd really like something on my front door.
Stay in the UK.
It's smaller and places are closer together.
I think you need to rethink all this!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Stay in the UK.
It's smaller and places are closer together.
I think you need to rethink all this!
I agree. OP you are just inventing something that you are not going to find.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Since when did software development restrict you to a city. I work with many software developers who work remotely. The joys of the internet.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Since when did software development restrict you to a city. I work with many software developers who work remotely. The joys of the internet.
Pretty sure I mentioned this to him as the first reply.. am wondering if this is a wind up thread .. rousing the rabble
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Its becoming increasingly more common to work from home, however still unusual in the UK unless you have built up the trust in an established relationship, its not really something you can go into cold.

There is the odd dev job in the country but it really is the big cities where 99% of the work is.

Interestingly I find some very nice, cheap, places inland 40 mins (according to Google) around Brisbane.

I suspect its less desirable to live inland than by the sea due to increased humidity and tropical factors. Still, they look great in the photos!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
Pretty sure I mentioned this to him as the first reply.. am wondering if this is a wind up thread .. rousing the rabble
Actually, I haven't seen a single dev job advertising remote work as a possibility on Seek.au. As I said up maybe its something you get to do over time but over here certainly not many employers would agree to it without several years of service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.