Reload this Page >

moving to Cairns in July 2005

moving to Cairns in July 2005

Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road
Default moving to Cairns in July 2005

Hi

I was after some friendly advice please. I am moving with my 9 year old daughter to Cairns in July. I am searching for a good removalist at present, and I am getting this side of things done ok.

I am a bit worried though about moving on my own, as a single mum and all. I am an Ozzie, having been born in Sydney, but have lived in the UK since I was 8.

Can anyone give me any hints and tips of things I have probably forgotten, and also whether or not I should be thinking of buying a house prior to departure?

Thanks for your help

Racheybabe
Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Cairns in July 2005

Racheybabe,

We have been in Cairns since Nov and it's a really lovely place.
Don't buy now.
Cairns house prices have rocketed in the last 2 years and bucked any recent downward trends.
However the locals have "seen it all before" and are expecting the current bubble to burst in a big way. They are all telling me not to buy now as it's top dollar.

You need any info on Cairns? just ask. We will try to help.
You need a lift from the airport ? - just ask.

Bix da Boss is my better half.

Keep reading the forum as most things have been covered at some stage and put any specific questions you have. The search facility is also very good.

As for removalist, we used Pickfords who were brilliant in UK. We've been 16 weeks without our container. It's been in Aus since 30 Dec and I fear most of the delay is down to Pickfords Brisbane. Continually giving us different stories and broken promises. It is due to arrive with us on Monday now and if it doesn't they are going to feel a lions rath. Bloody prats.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road

thank you very much for replying!

I cant wait for July!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bix
Racheybabe,

We have been in Cairns since Nov and it's a really lovely place.
Don't buy now.
Cairns house prices have rocketed in the last 2 years and bucked any recent downward trends.
However the locals have "seen it all before" and are expecting the current bubble to burst in a big way. They are all telling me not to buy now as it's top dollar.

You need any info on Cairns? just ask. We will try to help.
You need a lift from the airport ? - just ask.

Bix da Boss is my better half.

Keep reading the forum as most things have been covered at some stage and put any specific questions you have. The search facility is also very good.

As for removalist, we used Pickfords who were brilliant in UK. We've been 16 weeks without our container. It's been in Aus since 30 Dec and I fear most of the delay is down to Pickfords Brisbane. Continually giving us different stories and broken promises. It is due to arrive with us on Monday now and if it doesn't they are going to feel a lions rath. Bloody prats.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:02 pm
Banned

jumpship is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a lot of work in Cairns, like office type work?

JS
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We are also in Cairns and I don't think you will have much of a problem with office work.

There are plenty of jobs advertised in the local newspaper, you need to get Wednesday and Saturday's editions for jobs.

House prices are cheaper the further out you go from the CBD but even then you are only taking 10-15mins away.

As Bix has already said, don't buy a house yet, house prices are set to come down, rent for a while.

There are plenty of things to do here that will help you make friends.

Any advice needed, we will help.

Mandy