Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Originally Posted by Bix
I had a premonition last night and it has come true

It said " Bix my boy, tomorrow you will encounter a beautiful, intelligent and witty Australian".

How the devil are you fair maiden ?
gotta love a man with a silver tongue for charming the girls, glad you popped in the witty & intelligent part or I might have thought you were talking about Dagboy . Glad to see you still have your sense of humour Bixy you gorgeous devil of a man you , we're all good, give a hug to Da Boss & give yourself a smooch in the mirror from me .
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:17 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The morris clan
Hi Kaye,

we are loving it here. Still trying to get my head round the christmas carols playing in the shops when it is hot though

The big one has gone to Smithfield State High School as it is the closest to us, we also choose it for No. 2, who moves up in January as it has a Gifted and Talented program which he needs. The big one is also looking to do a school based apprenticeship at the moment, which we think is a bonus as it means he can go to school as well as learn a trade while he is still there.

Push bikes can be really cheap here it all depends on what you want, we have seen bikes for as little as $87.00 for a basic mens or womans mountain bike, at K-Mart. We have found the prices shoot up though if you go to a bike shop. I think the bikes for the younger ones were about $120.00. It is a case of watching for when they have the offers on. We were lucky as OH boss gave us some bikes to get us started so we haven't had to buy any yet.

Sorry to ask, but we have been offline for a while, do you know when you will be getting here yet?

I have chatted to Sophjam and know when she is arriving, so it will be good to know when you are getting here too. I have coffee and cakes to arrange
We are just waiting for the elusive yes or no and then we shall book, after tying yo a few loose ends was hoping to be Feb but will be definately no later than April later than we had wanted but we were halted in our tracks during meds hubby had to go for some heart scans and extra tests but he has been given the all clear now but it has left us five weeks behind schedule.

Will keep you up todate dont want them cakes to go off.

Thanks for the other info think I will risk getting bikes over there.

Have heard good things about Smithfield school so definately an option for us.

Speak soon

Kaye x
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:19 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Just watch out for the lightening bolt
Oiii you cheeky sod again I am marking your card Mr Bix

I will have you know angels sing when I enter a room, no need for lightning bolts
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rrhysevans
Im married to a Kiwi so Im getting a 5 year temp residency visa based on being married to her (461), then will transfer to PR after a couple of years, dont know if I would be elligable for child benefits over there
Have you looked at options to get PR sooner than that - you don't have to wait the 2 years in many instances.
Your wife and any children you have will get PR at the same time if you ensure they are included on the application.

It means any future children you have born in Australia (after PR) will be Australian citizens by birth.