Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cairns - advice needed

Originally Posted by rrhysevans
What are the areas to avoid for renting a house and which ones are the better. We dont mind living on the edge of the city say about 10-15 miles from the centre
Official speil:
http://cairns.qld.gov.au/community/p...b_profiles.htm
http://cairns.qld.gov.au/community/p...b_profiles.htm

My take:

CAIRNS SUBURBS

Loads of personal factors come into play when deciding where to live and everyone has different criteria as to what is good and what is bad.
I have tried to keep this concise without too much personal prejudice but that is difficult as my view is coloured by - my view.
I could have elaborated but would that serve a purpose ? I’m not sure.
I do not pretend to know Cairns inside out and have a lot to learn about it myself.

BEACHES:
Palm Cove – Caters for holiday trade with seafront hotels, apartments and restaurants along the Esplanade. Very nice. Housing could be pricey. Away from the beach will be cheaper.
Clifton Beach – No Esplanade as such. New small shopping centre out at the main road. No real holiday industry here. Expensive at the water front.
Kewarra Beach – More affordable areas. Large development taking place. Not much in the way of facilities but not far to travel to them.
Trinity Beach – A mini Palm Cove. Very nice.
Trinity Park – No beach. Water inlet. Big money going in here. Want to park your yacht at the bottom of the garden ?
Yorkeys Knob – Marina. Nice beach, but not the small one which is dangerous. In flight path.
Holloways Beach - Flight path. Mmmmmm there are far worse but not my cup of tea.
Machans Beach - Flight path. Poor reputation.

NORTH:
Smithfield – Being developed a lot. Big shopping centre just revamped. Smithfield Heights area is very good. Gateway to the Tablelands and Kuranda.
Caravonica – Some very nice new housing.
Kamerunga – Mainly rainforest type living. Pole homes.
Freshwater – Older but seems okay.
Stratford – Tipped to become the next Edge Hill.
Redlynch – Offers a lot. New suburb spread over several km.
Brinsmead – Old and new. Better stuff tends to be up the hill. Good.
Park Ridge – East is virtually millionaire territory. West can be pricey.
Whitfield – Older leafy burb. Some good, some bad.
Edge Hill – Older leafy burb in excellent location and has a good reputation. Where the yuppies live.
Kanimbla – New burb nearing completion. Looks good.
Mooroobool – Prime example of where good meets bad. Some very good and some very bad. City Views within Mooroobool is where a lot of big money people live.

CITY SUBURBS:
Old and undesirable places to be living unless it’s in a gated apartment complex:
Aeroglen – Read airport.
Bungalow – Old housing meets industrial.
Manoora – Probably the worst burb in Cairns.
Manunda – Similar
Parramatta Park – Just made the news due to increasing crime rate.
Portsmith – Not much housing. Industrial leading to the port.
Westcourt – Bordering the main Mulgrave Road.
Woree – Same as Westcourt.

SOUTHSIDE:
Earlville – Older. Better stuff is at the back toward the hills.
Bayview Heights – Where the original money people of Cairns live – or lived ? Better at the back toward the hills. New development there.
White Rock – Lived there 3 months. Never again
Forest Gardens - New burb nearing completion. Some good stuff.
Mount Sheridan – Older leafy burb.
Bentley Park – Nicknamed Nappy Valley. Cheaper housing. Lot of development out the back where it is now adjoining Edmonton.
Edmonton – High velocity expansion. Will be the largest burb I would think. Plans to join it with Gordonvale which is a 10 minute drive to the South so that will be a major development with new shopping centre. Plans to build another town centre.
Gordonvale – Semi rural. Farming and cane field country. About to go big over the next few years.Gateway to the Tablelands.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The morris clan
We have been here 6 weeks on a 457 temp visa
Didn't know you had got here Helen.
Hope all is going well for you and all them fellas.

We like Smithfield too.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:12 am
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bix
Didn't know you had got here Helen.
Hope all is going well for you and all them fellas.

We like Smithfield too.
Yeah, we finally got here.

We were down at Clifton Beach for the first 4 weeks in a poolside apartment, courtesy of Joe's boss.

So when is the next meet up so we can finally meet everyone?

The only people we know so far are the people at work and I would so love to speak to someone else, even though they are all very nice people.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Yeah, we finally got here.

We were down at Clifton Beach for the first 4 weeks in a poolside apartment, courtesy of Joe's boss.

So when is the next meet up so we can finally meet everyone?

The only people we know so far are the people at work and I would so love to speak to someone else, even though they are all very nice people.
Nothing planned yet but missus only aksed me yesterday if I would think about organising one so you never know

We would have to arrange it this year cos there is some real rif-raf arriving next year

If you fancy a chat though missus doesn't work so could meet you for a cuppa during the week.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My advice if you are moving to Cairns is to watch out for those lions - they are almost as bad as the crocs .
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Bix
Nothing planned yet but missus only aksed me yesterday if I would think about organising one so you never know

We would have to arrange it this year cos there is some real rif-raf arriving next year

If you fancy a chat though missus doesn't work so could meet you for a cuppa during the week.
Where abouts you at?

I haven't got any transport yet but if Da Boss wants to meet for a coffee near me or at my place it would be great. I'm at work until Friday, normally only Tuesday and Thursday but someone is on a course Wednesday so I have to go in that day too.

I'll pm you with my number.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
My advice if you are moving to Cairns is to watch out for those lions - they are almost as bad as the crocs .
I'm not worried , I'm sure I'd rather meet Bix than a croc or anything other nasty!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I had a premonition last night and it has come true

It said " Bix my boy, tomorrow you will encounter a beautiful, intelligent and witty Australian".

How the devil are you fair maiden ?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Where abouts you at?

I haven't got any transport yet but if Da Boss wants to meet for a coffee near me or at my place it would be great. I'm at work until Friday, normally only Tuesday and Thursday but someone is on a course Wednesday so I have to go in that day too.

I'll pm you with my number.
No problem Helen.
We are at Redlynch but right up the top end near the Barron river.
Go to Smithfield all the time.
Da Boss can drive.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Bix
No problem Helen.
We are at Redlynch but right up the top end near the Barron river.
Go to Smithfield all the time.
Da Boss can drive.
That's good to hear, I can drive but seriously lacking a car!! Walking in this heat is no fun but great for weight loss!!
We have driven up your way a couple of times, lovely up there
Will be really nice to meet her and you when we get the chance.

Speak soon
x
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

That's good to hear, I can drive but seriously lacking a car!! Walking in this heat is no fun but great for weight loss!!
We have driven up your way a couple of times, lovely up there
Will be really nice to meet her and you when we get the chance.

Speak soon
x
Yep. Look forward to that
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:24 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bix;5544468

.[/QUOTE]

Oiii, cheeky sod. I will add that touch of class that is oh so needed bet you cant wait really.

How are you finding it Helen, didntknow you had arrived yet.

Has your 16 year old gone into high school? If yes which one ours fancy Cairns state High because of the football programme there. But we have to live within the catchment area.

I have another question if you dont mind, is it cheap enough to buy push bikes? don't know whether to bring them my lads need new bikes and wonder whether just to get them over there. Do you know about such things

Thanks

kaye
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by wardy2
Oiii, cheeky sod. I will add that touch of class that is oh so needed bet you cant wait really. kaye
Didn't take you long
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by wardy2
Oiii, cheeky sod. I will add that touch of class that is oh so needed bet you cant wait really.

How are you finding it Helen, didntknow you had arrived yet.

Has your 16 year old gone into high school? If yes which one ours fancy Cairns state High because of the football programme there. But we have to live within the catchment area.

I have another question if you dont mind, is it cheap enough to buy push bikes? don't know whether to bring them my lads need new bikes and wonder whether just to get them over there. Do you know about such things

Thanks

kaye
Hi Kaye,

we are loving it here. Still trying to get my head round the christmas carols playing in the shops when it is hot though

The big one has gone to Smithfield State High School as it is the closest to us, we also choose it for No. 2, who moves up in January as it has a Gifted and Talented program which he needs. The big one is also looking to do a school based apprenticeship at the moment, which we think is a bonus as it means he can go to school as well as learn a trade while he is still there.

Push bikes can be really cheap here it all depends on what you want, we have seen bikes for as little as $87.00 for a basic mens or womans mountain bike, at K-Mart. We have found the prices shoot up though if you go to a bike shop. I think the bikes for the younger ones were about $120.00. It is a case of watching for when they have the offers on. We were lucky as OH boss gave us some bikes to get us started so we haven't had to buy any yet.

Sorry to ask, but we have been offline for a while, do you know when you will be getting here yet?

I have chatted to Sophjam and know when she is arriving, so it will be good to know when you are getting here too. I have coffee and cakes to arrange
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Sorry to ask, but do you know when you will be getting here yet?
Just watch out for the lightening bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.