Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane with Teenagers - school advice

Moving to Brisbane with Teenagers - school advice

Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

suunyday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane with Teenagers - school advice

Hi All,

OH has been offered a job in Brisbane which we are delighted about!Have got lots of questions but most important is making sure the schooling is right for the kids. Does anyone have any information about Nudgee college...looking for school for 15 yr old boy from UK.

Grateful for any responses.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane with Teenagers - school advice

Don't have personal experience of Nudgee but it has a good reputation, especially for sport.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kim67
Don't have personal experience of Nudgee but it has a good reputation, especially for sport.
Thanks Kim67....it's the sport that has made us look at this...Rugby!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Nudgee is where most of the boys go onto from the school where my twins attend. It has an amazing reputation and the parents all love it. Brisbane Boys College also has brilliant reputation for sport as well.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Nudgee is where most of the boys go onto from the school where my twins attend. It has an amazing reputation and the parents all love it. Brisbane Boys College also has brilliant reputation for sport as well.
Strange how Nudgee Juniors is out your way and Nudgee College is at Boondall
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they still do it but have heard non rugby players at Nudgee still have to turn up on Sat and practice cheering their team. They take it very seriously so be prepared for that ethos.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Strange how Nudgee Juniors is out your way and Nudgee College is at Boondall
I thought the same but I am glad I don't have boys so never questioned it too much. But if you feel strongly about a school, I guess you would travel to it. I know we would for the schools our three attend.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by suunyday
Hi All,

OH has been offered a job in Brisbane which we are delighted about!Have got lots of questions but most important is making sure the schooling is right for the kids. Does anyone have any information about Nudgee college...looking for school for 15 yr old boy from UK.

Grateful for any responses.
What suburb are you looking to live in. Nudgee is a great school but a long way out if you don't intend to live on the north side. Lots of good schools re rugby and academics, but Nudgee concentrates a bit too much on sport at the expense of the other. That being said it's academics are still very good. If you are looking at Brisbane Boys College, you might also want to look at Gregory Terrace and Brisbane Boy's Grammar and look at NAPLAN ratings - http://www.naplan.edu.au/
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Based on the parents of teenage boys that my eldest hangs around with, I would be putting boys (if I had them) into BBC. I haven't heard a bad word about it since we moved here. The families with boys there seem to love it and have even sent their boys there after the dads went there themselves.

Terrace is a brilliant school but I heard next to impossible to get into unless you are somewhere around a third generation alumni.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Based on the parents of teenage boys that my eldest hangs around with, I would be putting boys (if I had them) into BBC. I haven't heard a bad word about it since we moved here. The families with boys there seem to love it and have even sent their boys there after the dads went there themselves.

Terrace is a brilliant school but I heard next to impossible to get into unless you are somewhere around a third generation alumni.
I'll have to ask my mate what strings he pulled as he got his son into Terrace last year but is an old boy of Villanova with no association with Terrace AFAIK.

BBC certainly always looks like a lovely environment to be in tucked away next to Oakman Park.

Anyone have an up to date opinion of Marist at Ashgrove?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
I'll have to ask my mate what strings he pulled as he got his son into Terrace last year but is an old boy of Villanova with no association with Terrace AFAIK.
The Terrace talk was what he heard at dinner last week. The same issues appear to be going on for All Hallows too. My eldest's school is difficult to get into but they just happened to have someone leave just as we enquired and she aced the interview and it all worked out. Your friend did brilliantly to get into Terrace. Lots of brothers from my eldest's school go there and love it.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PJLondonSydney
What suburb are you looking to live in. Nudgee is a great school but a long way out if you don't intend to live on the north side. Lots of good schools re rugby and academics, but Nudgee concentrates a bit too much on sport at the expense of the other. That being said it's academics are still very good. If you are looking at Brisbane Boys College, you might also want to look at Gregory Terrace and Brisbane Boy's Grammar and look at NAPLAN ratings - http://www.naplan.edu.au/
Thank you for the information. Regarding place to live, not sure yet. Also have a 12 year old daughter that we need to find the right school for. She is currently at a Co-ed prep school in UK. Looked at Brisbane Girls Grammer school but not sure if setting sights too high! Realise also that Nudgee and BGGS are miles away from each other....any nice suburbs between the two? Do schools have school transport? Do schools like Nudgee take pupils from a large area?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The Terrace talk was what he heard at dinner last week. The same issues appear to be going on for All Hallows too. My eldest's school is difficult to get into but they just happened to have someone leave just as we enquired and she aced the interview and it all worked out. Your friend did brilliantly to get into Terrace. Lots of brothers from my eldest's school go there and love it.
Funny how often this happens - if your child performs well at interview and you're the type of family they would like to have at the school, miraculous places appear all the time.