Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane need advice please

Moving to Brisbane need advice please

Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane need advice please

Hi all we were planning on moving to Brisbane in March, we are a family with two boys 8 & 5, we don't know whether we should go ahead with our plans or not. Brisbane and surrounding areas as we all know are having a major catastrophe, and we all feel for the people who have lost relatives, homes and belongings, it will take a long time before things are back to anything near normal. We just hope and pray that the rain will subside and the waters will now recede. We just don't know what to do now, our PR visas expire next January so were hoping to make the move sooner rather than later, I am a Carpenter and have work here at the minute so am very lucky, but we need to fulfill or dreams of a life in Australia, we would like some advice as to what you think we should do?

Thanks
Alan
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane need advice please

Hmm good question, I wondered what I would do if I had been planning to move there in the near future. Hopefully someone in QLD will give you some good advice.

Just a couple of thoughts.

- The rebuilding effort will likely mean lots of work for the building trade.

- There are plenty of other cities to consider.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

We go in 2 weeks time, everything is booked and paid for, finished work today and I have a job to start in Brisbane at the end of Feb, so we have no other option but to go for it... our little boy is telling everyone he's taking his wellies...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque
Brisbane and surrounding areas as we all know are having a major catastrophe
Not everywhere in the Brisbane area is the same. There are areas that you would think are in another country. I've had to go out and water the garden today, yet others, maybe 25 kms away, are under water.

A similar Flood event also happened in 1974, and Brisbane recovered.
Not sure how long it took, but as others have said, tradespeople will probably be in demand for repairs and rebuilding etc.

Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

As per ABCDiamond's email, only a very small area in Brisbane itself has been physically affected by flooding.

Dare I say it, but the media has had a field day with what has happened in the Brisbane area... simply because Brisbane is a large city. But have there been any fatalities in the Brisbane area? Have people lost prized possessions? I can't say for certain but I believe there are zero casualties in Brisbane, and 99% of residents have moved their valuables and keepsakes out of harm's way. Yes people have lost beds, mattresses, sofas. Yes their houses are soaking wet and dirty... but this will all be sorted out in time.

The real tragedies have occurred outside the Brisbane area, where lives have been lost in horrific circumstances, and families have lost all of their possessions, and even their entire homes in many cases.

I don't want to downplay what has happened in Brisbane for one second... my family has been affected and I believe that we will have lost several thousand $ worth of furniture and other bits and pieces due to flood damage; it is too early to know for sure. But really these things can be fixed, cleaned, replaced, dried out, etc.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep as Aspirilla has said, Brisbane will virtually go back to normal in a couple of days. We will have no Citycats and Ferrys for a while but that will probably be the biggest disruption to actual infrastructure. The rural areas however will be affected for months or years with what's happened out there.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yep as Aspirilla has said, Brisbane will virtually go back to normal in a couple of days. We will have no Citycats and Ferrys for a while but that will probably be the biggest disruption to actual infrastructure.
Hope you're right but I have my doubts, Bligh just said

"This is the greatest natural disaster in the State's history, possibly the nations"
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Hope you're right but I have my doubts, Bligh just said

"This is the greatest natural disaster in the State's history, possibly the nations"
There will obviously be the cleanup of the houses and businesses that could take months. Spoke to friends this morning who have a truck load of relatives out at Dalby and my girlfriends and her girls are off there to help with the cleanup, but her husband who works in IT for a major financial institution is setting up new offices in a non-fllood area so it will be business as usual for them even while their offices in the city are being fixed.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, it's not over so whilst things will get back to 'normal' fairly quickly, there is still shedloads of rain forecast for the next few months, this 'could' be the first, not a one off.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:42 am
Just Joined

LongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to all

We were completely underwater in 1974, and my parents are underwater again this time (I am overseas). You will be amazed at how quickly things will go back to normal. Once the cleanup starts it will be all done in a couple of weeks. Like others have said though, lots of work to be had. All that insurance money...........
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'm optimistic that lessons will have been learned with regard to management of the Wivenhoe Dam etc. but it's very possible that we'll have further disruption going forward. One problem might be finding accommodation if there are a lot of people displaced in the short to medium term.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Again, much of brisbane is not destroyed, my family in UK seem to think the entire state is wiped out as devastating as it is in some areas, its hardly the entire state.

As for Carpenter coming to brisbane, say we end up with 30,000??? houses in needing some repair/rebuild........

We have appointments in brisbane next week, all confirmed to go ahead as planned.

Weather disasters in OZ are pretty common, things get rebuilt and sadly before you know it some other flood/fire is the news instead.

Every time the worst thing is the human tragedy, I was crying my eyes out when I read about that 13 year old boy and his brother, the 13 year old drowned.. The family had been out doing the january school uniform/book run, gawd it hit home, how many times we have done that with my boys, in the boiling heat, lining up, cursing the bloody prices, to think that ordinary event lead to his death, I dont know it was just too much
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Again, much of brisbane is not destroyed, my family in UK seem to think the entire state is wiped out as devastating as it is in some areas, its hardly the entire state.

As for Carpenter coming to brisbane, say we end up with 30,000??? houses in needing some repair/rebuild........

We have appointments in brisbane next week, all confirmed to go ahead as planned.

Weather disasters in OZ are pretty common, things get rebuilt and sadly before you know it some other flood/fire is the news instead.

Every time the worst thing is the human tragedy, I was crying my eyes out when I read about that 13 year old boy and his brother, the 13 year old drowned.. The family had been out doing the january school uniform/book run, gawd it hit home, how many times we have done that with my boys, in the boiling heat, lining up, cursing the bloody prices, to think that ordinary event lead to his death, I dont know it was just too much
There are times when people like me wish we did a different job

To the OP, and anyone else concerned - just do your homework when you get here before you decide where to live. Every State in Aus is more prone to natural disasters than the UK, its just about mitigating the risk. I live in a "high risk suburb" but I am at the top of a hill, If I flood, 98% of Brisbane is underwater. There are fantastic flood maps of Brisbane available to the public, which will be updated after this event - largely a question of getting here, looking at available resources like that, and talking to the council and the locals, especially now when the 1974 flood info has been updated so much.
The affected area of Brisbane is really small, but its huge news cos its the capital, and cos the city centre (CBD) is impacted. Huge swathes of rural Qld have come off far far worse.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are fantastic flood maps of Brisbane available to the public,
where can i find these pls ?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mala
where can i find these pls ?
From the Brisbane City Council website...however I think the general flood maps are currently unavailable, there are some showing this weeks models here:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/#model

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.