Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Originally Posted by astera
Where did that come from?
Well that seems to be the plus points, and you can do any of that in any city in Australia

It seems to me that Sydney gives you less and charges more, so why go for a lose-lose scenario (unless of course it is job-related)?
Not at all - ever heard of "you pay for what you get?" That's the point - it costs more so you get more. To be honest, it appears the only thing that costs more is housing. If you look up any average salary calculator Sydney trumps Brisbane for average income so any housing price increase could prove cost neutral if the salary calculators hold true.

I would say Brisbane is great for kids and spending time outdoors. I would easily put it above Sydney, having lived in both cities.
Why????? How???? What has Brisbane got that Sydney doesn't???? Brisbane doesn't even have a decent beach. Sydney has a whole coastline full of them.

The downtown area is great, very good for walks and bike rides, and South Bank is just superb and probably the only place that reminds me of Singapore with that great atmosphere and ambiance that I thought I'd never witness in Australia - overall they've really made the city a pleasant place along the river.

It's also more upscale than Sydney, which is evident with the naked eye when just looking at the people - the difference in "quality" is evident. The department stores on the main shopping street there also make their Sydney counterparts (same chain) look like they forgot to switch the logo to TK Maxx.
Are you on drugs? Where on earth have you been shopping in Sydney?

P.S. Thanks for the tips on where to go out at night in Sydney. I never would have thought of places like Paddington for a great pub/bar crawl, and I will definitely check out the places you mention when I head over to visit relatives in December.
My pleasure, but it would be fair to say, if you've missed Paddington in your previous visits, one really needs to ask "where the hell have you been hanging out"?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WilliamStacey
Don't know what was wrong with me on Friday shouldn't have snapped like that....

Read loads of interesting thing and the common theme seems to be the humidity, which i may struggle with but the wife will absolutely love it.

We've looked at the gap which is close by to where my dad stays and we seem to be able to get really good value housing. My wage working in structural engineering seems to be way higher than over here so I'm just looking forward to the move now assuming all goes to plan
William your wage may seem way higher, but plan on your outgoings being 2.5 times as much in dollars as it is in pounds before using that as an excuse to come.

If you do move to The Gap and are working in the CBD or Valley, make sure you live within 10 walk of the bus routes. If you can afford the slightly higher rents, move to Ashgrove. You get all the benefits of the Gap, but with easier access to local shops & bars and well as increasing your options for getting into the CBD.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I have only lived in Brisbane for 1 year but I think its almost paradise. I think its vastly nicer than melb or Syd. It hasn't got the rather overrated hipster restaurants of melb or the sophistication of Syd but its got what I want.

Its certainly not as 'blessed' by multiculturalism or 'culture' as melb but for me it has a more real Australia feel that I moved here for. In short I love that I can hunt and fish and boat and bushwalk on weekends and this more than compensates for the minor downsides.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bingobob777
William your wage may seem way higher, but plan on your outgoings being 2.5 times as much in dollars as it is in pounds before using that as an excuse to come.

If you do move to The Gap and are working in the CBD or Valley, make sure you live within 10 walk of the bus routes. If you can afford the slightly higher rents, move to Ashgrove. You get all the benefits of the Gap, but with easier access to local shops & bars and well as increasing your options for getting into the CBD.
I love a spreadsheet so i've done my best to compile a cost of living sheet with my wage which i have under estimated and the rent/bills etc. which i have hopefully over estimated. We have a very comparable way of life over there and that is with just me working. At the moment my wife has to work full time due to my wage and she would like to be more of a hands-on mum and work part-time so she can meet people while still picking up the wee one from school and hopefully adding a brother or sister.

Also stuck in a pokey 2 bed flat whereas for a very similar rent price we could get 3/4 beds with a pool and big garden.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I have only lived in Brisbane for 1 year but I think its almost paradise. I think its vastly nicer than melb or Syd. It hasn't got the rather overrated hipster restaurants of melb or the sophistication of Syd but its got what I want.

Its certainly not as 'blessed' by multiculturalism or 'culture' as melb but for me it has a more real Australia feel that I moved here for. In short I love that I can hunt and fish and boat and bushwalk on weekends and this more than compensates for the minor downsides.
I'm pretty sure you can fish and boat in all the other capital cities to the same degree if not more than in Brisbane. Not sure about the hunting part ..... do you mean hunting ladies?

Can you tell me more about the Australia feel you mention? I'm kind of curious.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm pretty sure you can fish and boat in all the other capital cities to the same degree if not more than in Brisbane.
Certainly my own boat is out constantly here from October - May, watersports though, not fishing.

I am also qualified crew in the Australian Volunteer Coastguard and I can tell you people fish and boat in Melbourne all year round.

And I think people do pig hunting here too but this is not my thing so I don't speak from experience.

BB
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Certainly my own boat is out constantly here from October - May, watersports though, not fishing.

I am also qualified crew in the Australian Volunteer Coastguard and I can tell you people fish and boat in Melbourne all year round.

And I think people do pig hunting here too but this is not my thing so I don't speak from experience.

BB
Pig Hunting is mostly far north Queensland - every so often we have to send the SES out to help someone when the pig wins the battle
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you can fish and boat in all the other capital cities to the same degree if not more than in Brisbane. Not sure about the hunting part ..... do you mean hunting ladies?

Can you tell me moret the Australia feel you mention? I'm kind of curious.
In Brisbane I can be in nowheresville within only 1 hrs drive from my home. Camping fishing etc. I couldn't get out of Syd in 1 hour. Plus its got more essence of Australia here with the pissant Australiana style villages with queenslanders and rundown bakeries and not a hipster in sight.

1-0!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
In Brisbane I can be in nowheresville within only 1 hrs drive from my home. Camping fishing etc. I couldn't get out of Syd in 1 hour. Plus its got more essence of Australia here with the pissant Australiana style villages with queenslanders and rundown bakeries and not a hipster in sight.

1-0!
Ok. if that tickles your fancy we can add that Brisbane list. Hey for what its worth, you can be on the National Park or the Blue Mountains within an hour of downtown Sydney. Not sure who sold you the story on that.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. if that tickles your fancy we can add that Brisbane list. Hey for what its worth, you can be on the National Park or the Blue Mountains within an hour of downtown Sydney. Not sure who sold you the story on that.
The OP asked specifically about the good and bad of Brisbane, as they have family here. Why does every thread about Brisbane have to become a sh*t fight with people from other states bagging it. I reckon it must be weather envy
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
The OP asked specifically about the good and bad of Brisbane, as they have family here. Why does every thread about Brisbane have to become a sh*t fight with people from other states bagging it. I reckon it must be weather envy
I think it might have been because someone from QLD was saying how much better it was than other states!

BB
Old Sep 25th 2015, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
I've been looking for the good in it for a long time. I think we are getting somewhere with this thread. Baby steps. And of course, you need to compare it to its competitors to get a good appreciation. Having never lived in Brisbane I can only get the info from those that have and of course many of those who live in Brisbane have never lived anywhere else, so the discussion works both ways. Hope that helps
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Quite honestly the main thing I do more of in melb than brisbane is shopping. And get to wear lovely winter clothes for a few months. We eat plenty of ethnic food too, but did that on the sunshine coast all the time. Oh and I use public transport a lot.

Melb beaches are as flat as the bayside ones ( that dont exist apparently ) off brisbane, and if I want surf I would have to drive and hour or so also the same as brisbane then. Water temp is obviously very different.

I prefer melbs cooler climate overall, but many prefer heat. .

The one factor I think would make a HUGE difference is if you had a mortgage. We would pay at least double in melb to even come close to our (comparable) rental properties in QLD. The property on the sunshine coast would not even exist in Victoria, you simply could not get mountains, surf beach, total privacy, acerage and a massive house and pool 5 mins to a coastal CBD with all facilites with what is a first home buyer budget in melb let alone sydney.

Brisbane and surrounds have what a lot of migrants want, bang for the buck and that bloody sun everyone but me wants.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Quite honestly the main thing I do more of in melb than brisbane is shopping. And get to wear lovely winter clothes for a few months. We eat plenty of ethnic food too, but did that on the sunshine coast all the time. Oh and I use public transport a lot.

Melb beaches are as flat as the bayside ones ( that dont exist apparently ) off brisbane, and if I want surf I would have to drive and hour or so also the same as brisbane then. Water temp is obviously very different.

I prefer melbs cooler climate overall, but many prefer heat. .

The one factor I think would make a HUGE difference is if you had a mortgage. We would pay at least double in melb to even come close to our (comparable) rental properties in QLD. The property on the sunshine coast would not even exist in Victoria, you simply could not get mountains, surf beach, total privacy, acerage and a massive house and pool 5 mins to a coastal CBD with all facilites with what is a first home buyer budget in melb let alone sydney.

Brisbane and surrounds have what a lot of migrants want, bang for the buck and that bloody sun everyone but me wants.
I'm not sure the Sunshine Coast is up for debate here. I've not heard a bad word said for the Sunshine Coast. What about Brisbane?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking for the good in it for a long time. I think we are getting somewhere with this thread. Baby steps. And of course, you need to compare it to its competitors to get a good appreciation. Having never lived in Brisbane I can only get the info from those that have and of course many of those who live in Brisbane have never lived anywhere else, so the discussion works both ways. Hope that helps
Brisbane and Perth are the only two capital cities I've lived in in Australia (I'm a Pilbara girl by birth). But I have family all over Australia in most capitals and country towns and the general concensus with all of us is that we all love Brissy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.