Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Old Sep 17th 2015, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Hi all,

Finally taking the plunge and myself, my wife and daughter start paying towards our move to Brisbane from Edinburgh. My dad stays there at the moment (lived there for a few years to 2009, cam back then re-emigrated in July).

Read a couple of threads and there doesn't seem to be too many nice things said about Brisbane and QLD in general so If you could let me know the good, the bad and the ugly it'd really help.

Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Do you have visas or are you just starting the process?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

Just starting the process. Looking at the 189 visa and the agent has advised it could be as little as 6 months to a year so hoping to be there next year for my 30th in August
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WilliamStacey
Hi all,

Finally taking the plunge and myself, my wife and daughter start paying towards our move to Brisbane from Edinburgh. My dad stays there at the moment (lived there for a few years to 2009, cam back then re-emigrated in July).

Read a couple of threads and there doesn't seem to be too many nice things said about Brisbane and QLD in general so If you could let me know the good, the bad and the ugly it'd really help.

Thanks.
The problem with asking for people's opinions is that's all you'll get - opinions, not fact. You'll get people who love the place, people who loathe it, and all points in between.

That's ok as far as it goes, but I wouldn't be making any life-changing decisions on anecdotal evidence - do your own evidence-based research according to what's important to you. Housing prices, suburbs, crime stats, schooling, climate, availability of work in your trade/profession etc etc.

First things first - work out if you're eligible for a visa. Research is also important if you're using an agent, make sure they are registered and get recommendations from people who've actually used them, if possible. There are some great agents, some of whom post on BE, and there are shonky companies who promise the earth and deliver nothing but disappointment.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 17th 2015 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks.
Start with the good. Humans generally want to lean towards negativity as a default, so best to keep it simple.

Try this question "Can anyone tell me anything good about Brisbane?"
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Carindale for 2.5 years, a suburb just a few miles to the south of Brisbane. We really enjoy living here. We live in a quiet street within walking distance of a creek and nature strip with a lovely dog walking community. Our neighbours are great and we're friends with them all.

Public transport is very good in Brissy, if a little expensive. Certainly reliable. Public transport is the best way to get into the city as car parking is extortionate. Property prices are a bit exxy, as is rent but there are cheaper areas dotted around. Prices are not Sydney or London expensive but they're not cheap.

The beaches aren't the nicest you're going to see on the east coast but it's not far to the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast if that's what you enjoy. There are loads of national parks for sightseeing, hiking and camping and stuff. The summers are a bit toasty for me really, hot and humid but the winters are perfect.

All of this is, of course, my opinion. I am not a city person but Brisbane is quite tolerable until we can either move into the Byron Bay Hinterland or onto a boat once the kids have buggered off

Last edited by SoCalDon; Sep 18th 2015 at 4:05 am. Reason: cock up
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

If you can land a job on a par with your UK job you will most likely earn more money. As the cost of living is higher. Much higher. We as a 2+2 family are far better off here so far. Get in a good suburb and you will love it I`m sure. We got here 2008 and spent nearly every weekend for the first few years driving out to the national parks and walking or down the beach. Two boys now in their teens no longer bother, but my wife and I usually get out for some quality time together. Brisbane is fine as far as I can see, rarely visit outside work but have been to several shows in the evenings and seems ok. Just don`t enter a City car park without checking charges!,South bank is best at $15 for the day the rest are crazy money. Oh and driving, imagine London with chimpanzees at the wheel. I was a keen motorcyclist in the UK. Kind of saving up here but really not sure if I will bother. It goes beyond "I did not see you mate" and more like I see you but just do not care. Add that to wet weather that turns roads to black ice like surfaces. You may well find yourself facing the wrong way some time in the first year wondering what happened. I bought an Imprezza and cut out half the woes. Also SLOW right down to speed limits all the time, caught 3 times in 2 years. In the UK I was stopped on numerous occasions for the same, given a chat and sent on my way. That does not happen here. 2 Kph & kerrching!(Ithink) $125 and 1 point. I think 5kph + is 3 points. I learnt eventually Doh!. I miss real ale and a lot of people in my life. I love being here and the life style. Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice guys i have done a lot of research and have looked at house prices as well as the wage for my current job and as my profession is on the SOL it should be relatively rosy getting the visa.

I'm from edinburgh so used to a "big" city and all that comes with but looking for greenery and a bit open space so the national parks are definitely a good thing.

My dad lives at the gap so we've had a look at houses there and they seem reasonable for what you get.

Oh and Beoz i did read the thread a couple of pages in so I know all about your opinion of the place
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:51 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Really, QLD? Best place to live in Australia if you have a choice and your job offer doesn't force you to live in the southern tundra. Where you you think Aussies bolt to as soon as they aren't tied down any more due to work? Three letters: Q-L-D.

I haven't seen the Brisbane of old that those with more years under their belt often refer to, but today's Brisbane strikes a very positive note - when I first visited just under a year ago I was quite impressed with the city compared to Sydney even.

Check out South Bank - what a lovely place. I'd move there tomorrow if not for the kids/school.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 10:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Start with the good. Humans generally want to lean towards negativity as a default, so best to keep it simple.

Try this question "Can anyone tell me anything good about Brisbane?"
The departure lounge at the airport?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice guys i have done a lot of research and have looked at house prices as well as the wage for my current job and as my profession is on the SOL it should be relatively rosy getting the visa.

I'm from edinburgh so used to a "big" city and all that comes with but looking for greenery and a bit open space so the national parks are definitely a good thing.

My dad lives at the gap so we've had a look at houses there and they seem reasonable for what you get.

Oh and Beoz i did read the thread a couple of pages in so I know all about your opinion of the place
Me and the family lived in The Gap for 2 years having moved across from Glasgow, we left in 2013 due to the downturn in the industry I work in.

Good Points - things I miss
Weather
Near Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast
South Bank
City Cat

Bad Points

It getting dark at 7pm in the middle of summer
It can get down to 5c in winter, which doesn't sound bad, but in a house with no insulation or heating it feels colder than -15c back in Glasgow
Ants

We had a great time there and don't regret going, but we don't regret coming back either. My main tip would be to make sure you get a nice house with a pool. We had a really big pool and me and the kids used it September to April, I never got tired of it and it made every weekend feel a bit like being on holiday.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

These threads are pointless

Opinions are like assholes etc
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hello mr sunshine. no one is asking you to comment. I was looking for info that i may not necessarily find elsewhere and first hand experience is always better IMO.

I've found information here that has been helpful, so if you find them pointless you and your 2 assholes don't have to comment on them.....
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

you and your 2 assholes don't have to comment on them.....
Er - not the best of form to hurl insults - the comment was about this type of thread, not about you personally. Zulu was just calling it like he sees it, it's what we do on BE
Old Sep 19th 2015, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion on this subject is open. I am happy to be told its awesome, but I need examples. I keep asking, I keep getting nothing except things like "its near the Gold Coast". And whether you consider the Gold Coast good is subjective anyway. I'd go to the sunshine coast over the gold coast any day of the week.

One thing I will say I like about Brisbane is the Suncorp Stadium. Suncorp and the smaller stadium in Sydney are the best Australia has to offer. Hope you like sport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.