Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Even under the present climate - I think finding work in SEQ for newly arrived expats should not be a problem. It may take a little more effort than 12 months ago but I think if your willing to expand your horizons a little you should be fine .....

Mark
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

I think it depends on what you do and what you wanna do too.
The aussies are a little reluctant to take on some expats without aussie experience. Also some dont understand UK qualifications or experience
I was ok because a nurse degree is a nurse degree but my hubby with 17yrs management under his belt struggled to get work it took him 3 months to even get an interview. My son took 4 mths to get an apprenticeship and he has 3 'A' levels !! that ment nothing here !!
ive spoken to other expats who have struggled some taken longer to get work then there tradies who have to 're train in some way or another to be able to work and earn anything like decent money.I know an electrician that has had to back to college for 3 mths and a plumber who has to pay $1800 to resit retrain what ever they want you to do out here. Trades are not necessarily exactly the same work and i even met someone who was sponsored who really did not get on with her boss who ended up having to find someone to take over her sponsor and move again over 50 km away cos thats what you got to do apparently.
If ive learnt nothing else it australias way or no way. They are really not interested how its done in the Uk even though they are behind in many things especially techno wise!
Like ive said before some of the mines are laying off too, all due to the present climate but yes i think there is work just dont expect to fall into a job straight away I had my job before i left the Uk and some have got a job straight away only to find they have to retrain as ive mentioned.
Having said all that and sounding like its all doom and gloom weve been here one yr on the 10th and love it. Weve just moved into our own new built 4 bed home something that we would never have been able to do in the uk
The stress most definately does not stop the moment you land im afraid
Teryna
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

We were hoping to be on the Sunshine Coast already but alas still stuck in South Africa with a house and businesses to sell.....the world economic recession has a lot to answer for Frustration reigns when you have the visa but can't go .......or if you are sold up and ready to go but have no visa ! At the end of the day if we all keep focused on our goals the 2009 will be our year ! Looking forward to many BE parties on the other side