Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all
Smile Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Hello soon to be QLDers :-)

Just wanted to start a thread of all of us moving to Brisbane and surroundings.
We are still waiting for our visa but really hoping to move next year!

We have started applying for jobs(IT) but till now nothing positive....maybe the job market is down....really hope next year its fine....
What about you guys? already have a job or looking for one or will look for one
when there?
We haven't really decided where to live but near the sea will be fab!
It will be great to get in touch with everyone moving there and once there we can have a BE party!!

All the best everyone!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane,Gold coast or Sunshine coast 09

Originally Posted by punoo

We have started applying for jobs(IT) but till now nothing positive....maybe the job market is down....really hope next year its fine....
when there?
It will be great to get in touch with everyone moving there and once there we can have a BE party!!

All the best everyone!
You will probably find that until you are out here and ready and able to start work that nobody will even give your CV a glance. Even then the actual process of getting interviews and offers can drag on for a while.
Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

we (hubby and myself) are at the final stages of getting our visa and are hoping to be in Oz August/September time next year. We are also looking at moving to somewhere in between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. OH works as an aircraft engineer so it will have to be somewhere near an airport/military base.

We have had a look at the job market and there seems to be a fair bit around for him so fingers crossed we will start applying for jobs next summer.

Really excited...just want to be there now!

Gill
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Hi,

We are heading to Brisbane, SS Coast or G Coast......we have our 175 and hope to be there May 09....fingers crossed
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are heading to Brisbane end of April 2009 - can't wait. Just about to go into rented and completing all the paperwork - a few forests worth!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

we are a family of 4 me (kerry) my husband (michael) kids mia (3) paige (1)moving to brisbane awaiting visa all paperwork in, been waiting since beginning of april so hopefully will not be long now. i have a job already just got to let them no flight details i am a nurse so its been quite easy to get a job my husband is waiting till we get out there as he is a welder and hopefully he will get a job alright. the hospital put us up for 2 weeks but then need a rental nervous about being able to get one heard on this site it can be difficult to get one. it would be nice to keep in touch to meet up on the other side
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Hi there.....we are a family of three (6 year old daughter) and will be moving to Brisbane (hopefully Gold Coast if we can pull it off) in April-ish of next year.....
We are self employed and will have to review the work opportunities when we get there....

Nix
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

We were hoping to have been in Brisbane by now but still awaiting house sale so it looks as though we will have to wait until 2009!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Originally Posted by TMRE
You will probably find that until you are out here and ready and able to start work that nobody will even give your CV a glance. Even then the actual process of getting interviews and offers can drag on for a while.
Good luck with your move.
Like TMRE says most companies will not even reply when you apply for jobs from abroad.Before we came over two and half years ago I applied for countless jobs , most never replied and the remainder didn,t take it any further.Also if you see a company in the flesh it can be quite different to over the net or phone .
All the best for your future move
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:04 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Thats right.

I get alot of applications to my business here on the Gold Coast from potential tradesmen from the UK.

Although most are good applicants, i tell them to come and see me when they have moved over here

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Like TMRE says most companies will not even reply when you apply for jobs from abroad.Before we came over two and half years ago I applied for countless jobs , most never replied and the remainder didn,t take it any further.Also if you see a company in the flesh it can be quite different to over the net or phone .
All the best for your future move
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

Thank you - spadgersdad, TMRE and Rob

Hmmm we are quite scared to leave a good job here and move to Brisbane...what if we wont get a job!!!! During this rescission period its quite scary.... If it would have been only me and my OH than it would have been fine but we have a 1 yr old with us! Will keep an eye on the job market.
Read one thread here about a guy who moved to Gold coast (IT-17yrs experience) n he still does not have a job...well not even one interview!!

Loneranger...sorry to hear about the house..all the best!

Any of you guys in facebook? would be a great way to keep in touch.

Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:15 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Trish and I both had good jobs in the UK, had no jobs to come to here on the Gold Coast and had three kids to bring along. Had no idea what i wanted to do here as i fancied a change and decided to venture into the shop fitting business.

For those who dont know, my trade is aerospace.

Job wise i think that if you are prepared to do anything, even short term, then you will do fine.

No real signs of a recesion here but i guess it will reach us at some point, but how much it will hit us is anybodys guess but if we can ride the storm out then there is a secure future in Oz for everyone.

Face book, yes we are on it. We also have a web site at themorton-jonesfamily.blogspot.com but dont forget to put the three w's at the front

Rob

Thank you - spadgersdad, TMRE and Rob

Hmmm we are quite scared to leave a good job here and move to Brisbane...what if we wont get a job!!!! During this rescission period its quite scary.... If it would have been only me and my OH than it would have been fine but we have a 1 yr old with us! Will keep an eye on the job market.
Read one thread here about a guy who moved to Gold coast (IT-17yrs experience) n he still does not have a job...well not even one interview!!

Loneranger...sorry to hear about the house..all the best!

Any of you guys in facebook? would be a great way to keep in touch.

Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Trish and I both had good jobs in the UK, had no jobs to come to here on the Gold Coast and had three kids to bring along. Had no idea what i wanted to do here as i fancied a change and decided to venture into the shop fitting business.

For those who dont know, my trade is aerospace.

Job wise i think that if you are prepared to do anything, even short term, then you will do fine.

No real signs of a recesion here but i guess it will reach us at some point, but how much it will hit us is anybodys guess but if we can ride the storm out then there is a secure future in Oz for everyone.

Face book, yes we are on it. We also have a web site at themorton-jonesfamily.blogspot.com but dont forget to put the three w's at the front

Rob
The only guests we have had, who have had jobs secured before arriving are nurses, a decent traddie will always find work.
The hardest jobs to get at the moment appears to be IT workers. If you stay strong, positive and focused when chasing work you will suceed.

My wife is a PA, and every job in the uk applied for she virtually got, as for oz using the agents (pointless middlemen) can be tiresome, you need to tire them out befofe they do you.

All the best
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
The only guests we have had, who have had jobs secured before arriving are nurses, a decent traddie will always find work.
The hardest jobs to get at the moment appears to be IT workers. If you stay strong, positive and focused when chasing work you will suceed.

My wife is a PA, and every job in the uk applied for she virtually got, as for oz using the agents (pointless middlemen) can be tiresome, you need to tire them out befofe they do you.

All the best
Oh!!!!
My OH is a IT project manager......thts why we are abit scared to move..otherwise we were/are planning to move in june09.
Its a pity as we waited for so long to gain enough work experience to qualify for 175 visa n now this......!!!!
I am hoping for the best though!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

when there?

All the best everyone!

Hi,
Looks like May 09 for us...healthcare sector so already have job, got the visa and today just sold the house so other than sundries we're off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.