Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Dec 21st 2021, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Your ‘facts’ aren’t factual. Soccer is and always has been a minor game here at adult level. The natives simply prefer mens football…
There was also a huge amount of football clubs for youths in WA and their grounds and facilities were mostly great the adult leagues were very well organised and hugely successful with excellent social events as well you use to see more young playing football on a Sunday morning than any other sport….to me it seemed very biased of WA press to keep flogging Aussies Rules as the most popular sport…maybe for adults to watch it might be but not in participation
Old Dec 21st 2021, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Aldo_1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abner
So, now that previous posters on the thread have perhaps beat to death the "football codes" argument , can you perhaps tell us more about where you want to live in other respects, e.g.
- how close to the CBD you and/or your partner need to be, for commuting purposes?
- very roughly, what you're looking to spend, on a purchase or rental?
- whether you're looking at state school vs private school options, or either?
We’ve been looking at North Lakes. I will be based from home so no real commute needed apart from to the airport.

We will look to rent whilst over here and from a budget standpoint we’re looking at the $7-800 pw budget.

In terms of schools we’ve been looking at catholic schools as this is where the boys are now back home.

also thanks to everyone else who’s commented. I take on board the football/soccer points 👍
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 4:45 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aldo_1985
We’ve been looking at North Lakes.
Why do all the Brits go to North Lakes
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aldo_1985
We’ve been looking at North Lakes. I will be based from home so no real commute needed apart from to the airport.

We will look to rent whilst over here and from a budget standpoint we’re looking at the $7-800 pw budget.

In terms of schools we’ve been looking at catholic schools as this is where the boys are now back home.
North Lakes is a decent bet; lots of Brits, a variety of recently-built housing stock in your general price range.

But if the airport run is going to be at all frequent, you might look harder at slightly older and closer-in suburbs like Bracken Ridge and Boondall, or Shorncliffe and Sandgate.

There's a well-established Catholic boys' school in Boondall for years 5 -12 ("Nudgee", or more formally St. Joseph's Nudgee College (Junior and Senior)), which has a particularly strong athletic tradition alongside its academic one. A good mate of mine went there; he came out alright.

Last edited by abner; Dec 22nd 2021 at 7:02 am.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Aldo_1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abner
North Lakes is a decent bet; lots of Brits, a variety of recently-built housing stock in your general price range.

But if the airport run is going to be at all frequent, you might look harder at slightly older and closer-in suburbs like Bracken Ridge and Boondall, or Shorncliffe and Sandgate.

There's a well-established Catholic boys' school in Boondall for years 5 -12 ("Nudgee", or more formally St. Joseph's Nudgee College (Junior and Senior)), which has a particularly strong athletic tradition alongside its academic one. A good mate of mine went there; he came out alright.
thanks so much for all the guidance. I really appreciate it.
I think due to the family connections we have, this suburb is where we will
likely go for. I appreciate everyone’s input so thank you so much
Old Dec 28th 2021, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Kelvin Grove State College has a soccer excellence program https://kelvingrovesc.eq.edu.au/curr...-of-excellence. Suburbs surrounding the school are close to the city and great suburbs to live. For your rental budget you could go a little further north that's still commutable to the school, but not as far out as Northlakes.