Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Hazeyfantazey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane

I'm moving to Brisbane in June. My husband has got a new job. His office is in Bulimba.

I have been looking online at different areas and schools. I am coming from Hobart and a relatively small primary school 347 kids.

I've heard Norman Park, West Manily Lota and Victoria point are all pretty small. But does anyone know if they are any good?

My girl loves Drama, Swimming and reading.

I guess it all depends if I can find a rental in those catchment areas.

I saw a nice house in carina heights but I'm not sure about the big school they have there white hill? It has Wi Fi which I am against in schools cabled Internet is much safer.

Does anyone know if the schools I have mentioned have Wi Fi?

Hazel
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:23 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Hi there, you should also check out Morningside State School. Great reputation and community...also just a stone's throw from Bulimba.

R
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:29 am
Just Joined

I looked at houses there, but they seem expensive considering it is right on the flight path. And I think they have 800 students at Mornington School
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:56 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Bulimba has 800 kids. Morningside has 465...and a huge swimming pool that the other local (including private) schools use.

Sorry should have been a little more transparent in my first reply...my wife Sam is the deputy principal at Morningside

Big expat british community at Morningside too.

PM us if you'd like more information.

Cheers

Rob
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:00 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Also, we used to live in Bulimba for about 5 years... yes it's on the flight path but don't really notice the noise. You might want to look at Cannon Hill, Balmoral or Murrarie for accommodation perhaps as well?

Also, Morningside State School doesn't have a catchment area so a lot of families do travel in from the Bayside.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Bulimba State School has a good reputation - so does St Peter and Pauls Catholic Primary. Bulimba is a great suburb, but rent is pretty expensive. Nice lifestyle though, on the river, loads of cafes, cheap movies etc. Heaps of close suburbs to choose from, East Brisbane, Balmoral, Bulimba, Hawthorne, Seven Hills, Morningside, Camp Hill, Coorparoo, Murrarie. Regarding Carina and Carina Heights, there are some great houses on the hill in Carina Heights, but most of the suburb is state housing and can be a bit dodgy. Whites Hill College doesn't have a great reputation.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Also, we used to live in Bulimba for about 5 years... yes it's on the flight path but don't really notice the noise. ...
Just thought I'd mention the planned second parallel runway will increase noise over that area. Worth checking out.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Just thought I'd mention the planned second parallel runway will increase noise over that area. Worth checking out.
Friends in the current direct flight path have been told they've got til 2020 to sell up and move before the increased traffic.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Would you not consider a school if it had WiFi?
You have your beliefs/reasons and that's cool, but it is everywhere now, Libraries, Restaurants, Cafes etc and is going to be pretty bloody hard to avoid.........it certainly wouldn't stop me if it was a great school and in a fabulous area, but we are all different.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazeyfantazey
It has Wi Fi which I am against in schools cabled Internet is much safer.
Why is cabled Internet much safer? I'd assume the WIFI would be running through the same virus checking, parental lockout, etc features as the cabled.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice guys... Lots to consider.

Re Wi Fi.... Yes it is everywhere. Which is precisely why kids should be given a break from it at school. It is microwave radiation mixed with High frequency radio waves. Who knows what damage they will do in the long term.

France, Germany, Russia and Israel have banned Wi Fi in schools and lots of schools in England and Scandinavian countries have also chosen cabled internet only.

Most people don't think about it. But the research ( coming out of Sweden manly is very concerning)

It just drives me crazy that Australia are rolling it out everywhere. When it hasn't been proven totally safe. And schools should be protected as kids are more vulnerable to radiation than we are.

Anyway. I'm looking at Manly West currently. The school seems good too. No Wi Fi. Lol
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Friends in the current direct flight path have been told they've got til 2020 to sell up and move before the increased traffic.
Sounds about right...they probably won't even make that deadline by the look of it...only an issue for people looking to settle permanently in the area really. I guess the only concern is that closer to the time more buyers will be put off by the looming date.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Re Wi Fi.... Yes it is everywhere. Which is precisely why kids should be given a break from it at school. It is microwave radiation mixed with High frequency radio waves. Who knows what damage they will do in the long term.

France, Germany, Russia and Israel have banned Wi Fi in schools and lots of schools in England and Scandinavian countries have also chosen cabled internet only.

Most people don't think about it. But the research ( coming out of Sweden manly is very concerning)

It just drives me crazy that Australia are rolling it out everywhere. When it hasn't been proven totally safe. And schools should be protected as kids are more vulnerable to radiation than we are.
Some interesting points I have read on this:

"Besides, we have been exposed to cell phone radiation for a quarter-century, TV waves for 60-80 years, and radio waves for nearly a century; these all work on the same principle as WiFi, but with higher-energy and more powerful waves, and yet there is no evidence of people harmed by exposure to cell phones, TV and radio through the years. You say “we should not be arrogant and think we know the world”, but I think we have reached a point, in terms of communications via radiation, that we can accept it as safe for general use, within regulations."

From: http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013/...ook-your-food/

"Type of Radiation

Power Level:

Potential to be Harmful (heat can be felt) 200W/kg
Maximum Permitted in New Zealand 4.00W/kg
Highest Radiation Cell Phones (Avg of 20) 1.43W/kg
50 Watt Cell Phone Transmitter at 10m distance 0.365W/kg
Lowest Radiation Cell Phones (Avg of 20) 0.32W/kg
Wi-Fi Device Average between 0.5 and 2m distance 0.0057W/kg

So going by this table, wifi would have to be 35,000x as strong as its current average to be potentially harmful to humans.

Interestingly, Jonathan also makes the point that banning wifi actually increases electromagnetic radiation, given the vast number of devices that would thus drop back to 3G (which emits considerably greater levels of radiation - although still well under the level considered harmful)."

From: https://www.techblog.co.nz/632-Wifia...entialapproach
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

I'm not going to bore you with all the scientific journals that disagree with your figures. Electro magnetic Radiation EMR's have been classed as carcinogenic by the world health organisation. If you think EMR's are so safe.. I wonder if you would have a mobile phone tower in your back yard.

WiFi is microwave radiation coupled with high frequency radio waves... Don't know about you... But I wouldn't stick my face in a microwave.
There is some interesting research going on at the moment in Sweden.

Where exposure to Wi Fi 24/7 can actually pass through the blood brain barrier. And mess with people's DNA. And who says all this radiation isn't having an effect. Cancer at epidemic levels. It used to be 1 in 10 people would be effected by cancer 50 years ago. Now it's 1 in 3.... Not good odds.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not going to bore you with all the scientific journals that disagree with your figures. Electro magnetic Radiation EMR's have been classed as carcinogenic by the world health organisation. If you think EMR's are so safe.. I wonder if you would have a mobile phone tower in your back yard.

WiFi is microwave radiation coupled with high frequency radio waves... Don't know about you... But I wouldn't stick my face in a microwave.
There is some interesting research going on at the moment in Sweden.

Where exposure to Wi Fi 24/7 can actually pass through the blood brain barrier. And mess with people's DNA. And who says all this radiation isn't having an effect. Cancer at epidemic levels. It used to be 1 in 10 people would be effected by cancer 50 years ago. Now it's 1 in 3.... Not good odds.
Re: WHO classifying as carcinogen

The WHO haven't classified WIFI (low level EMR) as a carcinogen. In fact they say there is no evidence that it is. It's a common misreading of their statement they made. They put EMR's in the group of things that are open to further study so funding can be allocated...grouped with things like coffee.

From WHO statement: "...Current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields."

Source: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273

Re: microwave

See the chart in post above for the difference in power between WiFi and microwaves. Wifi is less powerful than radio which we have had for 100 years.

Source: From: https://www.techblog.co.nz/632-Wifia...entialapproach

Re: blood brain study:

"Dr. Havas cites one such study that she says showed mobile phone signals break down the blood brain barrier. In fact, this study was a single in-vitro (petri dish) experiment, and the authors only hypothesized that one potential effect might be to increase the blood brain barrier permeability. In other words, nobody has ever observed such an effect. (my emphasis)

Source:http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273

Interesting topic, but a bit of a derailing of your thread...maybe we should move it if you have more general Brisbane school stuff to ask ?

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 28th 2014 at 2:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.