Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Ryan-Brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane

Hi all,
I'm about to make the very big step of moving to Brisbane after accepting a position with the Queensland Gas Company. (pending medical). I'm a single 25 year old bloke and I have been given a very attractive package in the region of $170,000 a year. I know that will make me quite well off in terms of what I can afford to do socially and rent ect. I was looking at the new farm area to rent a place to begin with. could anyone recommend there or anywhere else? I will be living in Brisbane 2 weeks then working away for 2 weeks in a drive in drive out position. I've done quite a bit of research but I was hoping for a little bit of advice regarding tax, superannuation (sp?), prices of car leasing (although I'm told this is done through your company).
Overall I'm very excited but also very nervous at the thought of leaving all my friends and family behind. Any advice on the above and anything else you think I would need to know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:03 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Hi Ryan - with that salary you can live wherever you want really, so what sort of lifestyle are you looking for whilst at 'home' in Brisbane? New Farm is really nice - lots of cafes and little bars etc. Lots of places to eat/drink within strolling distance and good transport links for nights out etc.

Your employer will usually tax you at source (may depend on your contract though) and your tax rate will be dependent on income. You need to submit a tax return every year (we all do if we earn income) and that might be a good time to find a tax accountant to determine which deductions you can make.

Car leases can be good value but aren't always the best option - depends on how long you're staying etc.

Superannuation will also likely be sorted by your employer (they will have a fund that they prefer - which may or may not be best for you) and will automatically be deducted from your pay - unless of course you are a 'contractor' or similar and then you'll have to sort it yourself. What does your contract say?

I came to Brisbane as a single 25 year old (a few years ago now!) and love it here. I joined sports clubs to meet people and haven't looked back - I still see my family and UK friends once a year and maintain close relationships through Skype/phone/FB etc.

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:03 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ryan - with that salary you can live wherever you want really, so what sort of lifestyle are you looking for whilst at 'home' in Brisbane? New Farm is really nice - lots of cafes and little bars etc. Lots of places to eat/drink within strolling distance and good transport links for nights out etc.

Your employer will usually tax you at source (may depend on your contract though) and your tax rate will be dependent on income. You need to submit a tax return every year (we all do if we earn income) and that might be a good time to find a tax accountant to determine which deductions you can make.

Car leases can be good value but aren't always the best option - depends on how long you're staying etc.

Superannuation will also likely be sorted by your employer (they will have a fund that they prefer - which may or may not be best for you) and will automatically be deducted from your pay - unless of course you are a 'contractor' or similar and then you'll have to sort it yourself. What does your contract say?

I came to Brisbane as a single 25 year old (a few years ago now!) and love it here. I joined sports clubs to meet people and haven't looked back - I still see my family and UK friends once a year and maintain close relationships through Skype/phone/FB etc.

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:12 am
Just Joined

The final contract will be presented to me when the medical is completed. I will not be a contractor I will be a permanent employee. My plan is to stay at least 5 years. Save plenty of money then assess my options. Either move back to the uk and buy a second house as I will be renting out the one I currently own now. Or sell up in the uk for good and buy something in Aus. I think you will be right on the accountant side of things at least while I find my feet to begin with anyway. Are there any sports clubs you could recommend? I'm really into my football and dont mind rugby league.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan-Brisbane
Hi all,
I'm a single 25 year old bloke and I have been given a very attractive package in the region of $170,000 a year.
You lucky boy ..... you will have the time of your life at your age with coin like that. Enjoy. (PS. can't advise on Brisvegas)
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Hi Ryan

On a very rough estimate using a simple tax calc, you will be taking home just over 2k a week.

I used this:- http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Rent in new farm isnt cheap, but I doubt you will be spending a great amount when working away anyway. Reckon you will pay at least 500 a week, maybe more and obviously you have to pay for the weeks you are not there (you could get a lodger). So about 1500 a week left, entertainment, car, internet, phone, I think you will have about 500-600 a week you can save unless you want to be totally extravagant lol
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi Ryan

On a very rough estimate using a simple tax calc, you will be taking home just over 2k a week.

I used this:- http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Rent in new farm isnt cheap, but I doubt you will be spending a great amount when working away anyway. Reckon you will pay at least 500 a week, maybe more and obviously you have to pay for the weeks you are not there (you could get a lodger). So about 1500 a week left, entertainment, car, internet, phone, I think you will have about 500-600 a week you can save unless you want to be totally extravagant lol
$900-$1000 a week on entertainment, car, internet, phone. Now that's a life
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You will be earning roughly 3 times the real average wage so the world is your oyster. It does explain the high cost of utilities though
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:40 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I'm about to make the very big step of moving to Brisbane after accepting a position with the Queensland Gas Company. (pending medical). I'm a single 25 year old bloke and I have been given a very attractive package in the region of $170,000 a year. I know that will make me quite well off in terms of what I can afford to do socially and rent ect. I was looking at the new farm area to rent a place to begin with. could anyone recommend there or anywhere else? I will be living in Brisbane 2 weeks then working away for 2 weeks in a drive in drive out position. I've done quite a bit of research but I was hoping for a little bit of advice regarding tax, superannuation (sp?), prices of car leasing (although I'm told this is done through your company).
Overall I'm very excited but also very nervous at the thought of leaving all my friends and family behind. Any advice on the above and anything else you think I would need to know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi Ryan another great place is Milton as this is the location where a lot of engineers are based who are working on the APLNG project. Is your company organising rentals? Usually they lease various rooms and rotate them based on when workers are on and off rota so you (or they) only pay for the room when you are there.

Regarding Tax and super etc. Your HR department will be able to help you with this as they will also check out insurance requirements and they often have a pool of cars which are shared between employees when off rota and back in town or alternatively they also have fleet cars for hire cheaper than if you went direct to the car hire people yourself.

Like others have said you're going to have a ball. From experience when everyone gets off rota some go home to their families interstate however the young ones usually go back to the apartments in the city and meet up for days out or drinking nights out and meals etc. If you're socialble you really won't have time to get bored.

Good luck and enjoy this fantastic adventure mate
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Hi Ryan another great place is Milton as this is the location where a lot of engineers are based who are working on the APLNG project. Is your company organising rentals? Usually they lease various rooms and rotate them based on when workers are on and off rota so you (or they) only pay for the room when you are there.

Regarding Tax and super etc. Your HR department will be able to help you with this as they will also check out insurance requirements and they often have a pool of cars which are shared between employees when off rota and back in town or alternatively they also have fleet cars for hire cheaper than if you went direct to the car hire people yourself.

Like others have said you're going to have a ball. From experience when everyone gets off rota some go home to their families interstate however the young ones usually go back to the apartments in the city and meet up for days out or drinking nights out and meals etc. If you're socialble you really won't have time to get bored.

Good luck and enjoy this fantastic adventure mate
I don't have quite the ball you are going to have earning more but I am 40, if I was your age, the world would be my lobster! If you can, at this moment, with your wage, a property purchase would be a wise idea as soon as you can if you intend to stay a while, rentals are almost the same price as buying.

Don't forget your suncream, I commute to Brissy everyday, if you need any advice, let me know.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by seanpears99
I don't have quite the ball you are going to have earning more but I am 40, if I was your age, the world would be my lobster! If you can, at this moment, with your wage, a property purchase would be a wise idea as soon as you can if you intend to stay a while, rentals are almost the same price as buying.

Don't forget your suncream, I commute to Brissy everyday, if you need any advice, let me know.
I better move to Brisbane. Can't get rent even close to a mortgage for comparable accom in Sydney
Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't even think of trying to rent in Sydney!

I might get an apartment for what I can build a 4 bed with pool for :-(
Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for you comments. Looks like I may not be as lonely as I first thought as my friend has said he wouldnt mind coming with me. He fits broadband in homes for BT in the UK and a lot of his work mates have said theres a lot of work doing that type of thing is Australia. From what I can see NBN are undertaking a big project at the moment. I know its a long shot but I don't suppose anyone knows of any brits working for them or could shed any more light?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Brisbane

From what I can see NBN are undertaking a big project at the moment. I know its a long shot but I don't suppose anyone knows of any brits working for them or could shed any more light?
I have been working at NBN but in security. NBN is in caretaker mode at the moment pending the new government's requirements however I imagine that anyone with fiber/copper cabling skills will be in demand.

NBN subcontracts all this kind of stuff, they don't employ directly. Who gets the contract will be state-dependent.

BB
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Working for QGC - welcome to the world of LNG. Fun & rostered, but don't p*ss it up against the wall and have nothing to show for it like lots of lads out here.

Some guys I know don't have an apartment, as it is cheaper to spend their rostered time off in Bali or Vietnam!

Have fun

TD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.