Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Originally Posted by bcworld
That sounds odd. I recently saw my old house in Mt Gravatt East for rent (4 bed, pool, no garage, asbestos roof) and they were asking high $500s!
I live in Mt Gravatt East and it's a lovely area - very expensive to live as it's so close to the city. I pay $480 per week for a rather crummy 3 bed bungalow. Suburbs slightly nearer city - Holland Park, greenslopes are a bit more, but it's stiff competition to secure a rental. Nice houses with pools tend to be in the $750 a week area - but when you're here a while, you don't stress too much about having a pool.
Be careful about commuting estimates - if you drive to the city at peak hours it can be desperately slow due to volume of traffic and there are a lot of accidents on the freeway, especially when it rains. Many people (myself included) use the busway or the train as this is often much quicker
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

MrsG76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bingobib777

In your post you mentioned a spreadsheet referring to NAPLAN top 20. I dint suppose you could send it to me. I want to see if there are good schools in the woollengabba area.

Thanks
Sara
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsG76
Hi Bingobib777

In your post you mentioned a spreadsheet referring to NAPLAN top 20. I dint suppose you could send it to me. I want to see if there are good schools in the woollengabba area.

Thanks
Sara
Try this link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733785
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really, at peak times?

Wynnum / Manly is east of the CBD...probably even slightly further north than it.
that's about right. I used to go from Redcliffe past/through the city to South Brisbane in about 50-55mins in peak hour traffic. To the city and then finding a park might add a bit more time though
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CareerCoach
I would recommend North Lakes/Mango Hill area. It's great for families, has a decent shopping centre, schools and day care. It also offers good access to the highway. The rail link to the city won't be completed until 2016 but it's a 10min drive to the train station (Bald Hills or Kallangur) in the meantime. The train takes about 20mins so total travel time would be 30mins.

For your budget you'd get a great house too - not so easy closer to the city. Check out Realestate.com.au

It's probably a good idea to find out the areas to avoid rather than the best areas to live since everyone will have their own opinion based on a range of factors.

Best of luck!
if McMansions are your thing, of course. I really don't see the point in North Lakes.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Whats Bracken Ridge like as an area for kids etc??
It's not a great area. Bracken Ridge, Chermside, Zillmere, Fitzgibbon are all a bit dodgy especially after dark and it'll be a nightmare to get to the city in peak times from there.

If your budget goes to $550 you're well into a much better area (not sure what bingobob is on) like the Gap or some nice Northern suburbs Wilston, Mitchelton, Ferny Grove. 30 second search... first one... http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...orne-406631211
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
if McMansions are your thing, of course. I really don't see the point in North Lakes.
Agreed. I've never seen the point of those places. Not a mature tree in sight, and you want trees, they keep the sun off the ground. Just a sea of tiled roofs that go right to the boundary. If I had a $ for every time I've heard, "it's a shed" about Queenslanders. FFS stay in England if you want a redbrick semi.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
It's not a great area. Bracken Ridge, Chermside, Zillmere, Fitzgibbon are all a bit dodgy especially after dark and it'll be a nightmare to get to the city in peak times from there.

If your budget goes to $550 you're well into a much better area (not sure what bingobob is on) like the Gap or some nice Northern suburbs Wilston, Mitchelton, Ferny Grove. 30 second search... first one... http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...orne-406631211
Eh I live in The Gap, I think I'm more than qualified to comment.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Certainly some nice affordable places in Upper Kedron and Ferny Grove..
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Eh I live in The Gap, I think I'm more than qualified to comment.
Fair enough. Your posts came across as very negative that was all. The OP asked for recommendations about areas with accessibility and safety and good areas being the main concerns. They did not ask if they could afford the perfect house in the perfect area complete with pool and aircon. 550 is very do-able for what they're asking.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough. Your posts came across as very negative that was all. The OP asked for recommendations about areas with accessibility and safety and good areas being the main concerns. They did not ask if they could afford the perfect house in the perfect area complete with pool and aircon. 550 is very do-able for what they're asking.
People always think i'm negative because I think moving 10,000 miles to live in a crap house miles from the CBD is a bad idea, God knows why.

My link above gives what I think is an pretty accurate portrayal of Brisbane suburbs, plenty of people think Ipswich is alright but........................
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

People always think i'm negative because I think moving 10,000 miles to live in a crap house miles from the CBD is a bad idea, God knows why.

My link above gives what I think is an pretty accurate portrayal of Brisbane suburbs, plenty of people think Ipswich is alright but........................
It's not that far from the CBD, and looks fine to me!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's not that far from the CBD, and looks fine to me!
I was never referring to that house, even though it is right next to the army base!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

So do most people want to live within commuting distance of the CBD? I wont need to if I go there, I will just need the airport to be handy..
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I was never referring to that house, even though it is right next to the army base!
Oops. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
So do most people want to live within commuting distance of the CBD? I wont need to if I go there, I will just need the airport to be handy..
Then find somewhere north close to the airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.