Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

angelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really nice
Default Moving to Brisbane

We are moving to Brisbane in March and will be living in the city to start with before we decide where we want to be based.

We have looked into different area but it would be really helpful for some advise and opions of others of nice areas to live.

We have 2 children aged 4 and 1 and my husband will be working around the city so a 30-40 min drive would be the most he would like to drive to the city. As I will be at home with the children I need to be able to get to place easier and for it to be a safe place to live!!

any help would be great
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Hi we have been in manly for just over a year - we have a 6 & 4 year old.
My husband works in fortitude valley and takes 35 mins over the gateway bridge to get to work. Its a fab area with lots of parks and familys. Manly state school is great abd my daughter really enjoys it. I am a relief teacher there and the children are excellent.
We have made loads of friends of all nationalities and being on the bay it has a great community feel- markets, films, events, bbqs by the water etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

The Redcliffe Peninsula is about 40 mins drive to the city, it is north of Brisbane whereas the Wynumm/Manly area is south.
Suburbs are: Woody Point, Clontarf, Margate, Redcliffe, Scarborough. Nice beaches, parks, family stuff etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelica12
We are moving to Brisbane in March and will be living in the city to start with before we decide where we want to be based.

We have looked into different area but it would be really helpful for some advise and opions of others of nice areas to live.

We have 2 children aged 4 and 1 and my husband will be working around the city so a 30-40 min drive would be the most he would like to drive to the city. As I will be at home with the children I need to be able to get to place easier and for it to be a safe place to live!!

any help would be great
Does he need to drive or can he take the train? If you're at home with the kids will you have a second car or will you be looking to walk/use public transport? Budget for rent, number of bedrooms, with or without pool?

Do you need to be near the coast?

If you have a 4 year old you want to be looking at primary schools, the NAPLAN results give an indication of the better schools. I've posted a spreadsheet before showing the top 20 schools.

So plenty of choice, to narrow it down we need more info. Look at Bulimba, Ashgrove and Wilston.

Last edited by bingobob777; Jan 3rd 2012 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

angelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really nice

My husband will be getting a company car as he does air conditioning so will be working all over, so no trains to worry about.

For the first 6-12 months will be renting and don't really want to pay more than $550 pw rent, will need min 3 beds.

I have noticed that the further out you go from the city the more you get for you money which is why I was asking for help.

I have looked at North Lakes and Scarborough but thats about all at present
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:26 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

550pw will get you a really good house in The Gap with good schools great community and commute time within your parameters.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
550pw will get you a really good house in The Gap with good schools great community and commute time within your parameters.
It'll get you an alright 3 bed without a pool at best.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by angelica12
My husband will be getting a company car as he does air conditioning so will be working all over, so no trains to worry about.

For the first 6-12 months will be renting and don't really want to pay more than $550 pw rent, will need min 3 beds.

I have noticed that the further out you go from the city the more you get for you money which is why I was asking for help.

I have looked at North Lakes and Scarborough but thats about all at present
Again all depends on what you want. Neither of those are particularly close to CBD, Southbank etc etc. If you want to live in an outhouse of Brisbane those would be fine, if you want access to facilities IMO they're no use.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMFC
The Redcliffe Peninsula is about 40 mins drive to the city, it is north of Brisbane whereas the Wynumm/Manly area is south.
Really, at peak times?

Wynnum / Manly is east of the CBD...probably even slightly further north than it.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really, at peak times?

Wynnum / Manly is east of the CBD...probably even slightly further north than it.
Sorry, meant Wynnum/Manly is south of Gateway Bridge, whereas Redcliffe is north of the bridge
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

550pw rent!! I need to become an air conditioning repairer!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
550pw rent!! I need to become an air conditioning repairer!
That is pretty reasonable for a house near to central Brisbane.

They are a lot more than that the nearer you get to the centre in the better suburbs
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I know. Iv been searching rentals in Brisbane for 3 months, you can get a superb house for that within 15km of the cbd..
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I know. Iv been searching rentals in Brisbane for 3 months, you can get a superb house for that within 15km of the cbd..
That means you also have to travel through 15km of Brisbane traffic if you work in the CBD
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble with asking such an open ended question is that you will get SOOOO many replies touting different areas and it may confuse you even further!!

You have a decent budget, not huge, but it should get you something nice within the distance you are looking at from the city, with a pool if you want one.

Would you rather be nearer the water or inland?

Anyway.....just to add to your ever growing list.....

Have a look at the Redlands area. Suburbs such as Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland, Thornlands and Victoria Point. They are all Bayside suburbs, so close to the water. They are great family areas and there is a lot of choice when it comes to schooling.

I hope that helps!!

Love

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.