Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Neil_Clough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane

My 15-year old son and I are moving from the UK to Brisbane in the New Year - I will be taking up permanent employment there. I would be grateful to receive any information on the schools in Brisbane as my son's education is my number 1 concern regarding our move.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

gbarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Neil_Clough
My 15-year old son and I are moving from the UK to Brisbane in the New Year - I will be taking up permanent employment there. I would be grateful to receive any information on the schools in Brisbane as my son's education is my number 1 concern regarding our move.
Are you moving after he has taken his GCSEs?

I'll be surrounded by academic folk once more in a week so I'd be more than happy to ask them for you, they will know.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a bit more specific about which part of Brisbane you are going to for work etc.

It is a big place.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:56 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Are you considering private or state schooling?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi,
May be worth trying http://www.ourbrisbane.com/lifestlyl...tionqueensland
May give you a clearer idea of Education, facilities and areas hope this helps
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the responses received so far.

I will be working in the city centre but so far, I have little or no idea where we will be living.

With regards to my son's education and state versus private, I am quite prepared to pay to ensure that my son gets as good as there is. He has just started his GCSE's and is doing really well so I need to make sure that his standards are maintained.

Also any information on where to live, where not to live and accommodation, etc would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to receiving some more responses and believe me any feedback is invaluable.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks a lot for the responses received so far.

I will be working in the city centre but so far, I have little or no idea where we will be living.

With regards to my son's education and state versus private, I am quite prepared to pay to ensure that my son gets as good as there is. He has just started his GCSE's and is doing really well so I need to make sure that his standards are maintained.

Also any information on where to live, where not to live and accommodation, etc would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to receiving some more responses and believe me any feedback is invaluable.
If you are living over on the East side, Brisbane Bayside, then Sheldon College and Ormiston College both have very good reputations. Not sure about costs now, but year 3 was about $6,000 per year a few years ago.

Bayside is cooler than inland, in the summer, and warmer in the winter.

Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:53 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you search the australia forum for "school" or "schools". There are many threads containing valuable info.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:01 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend Brisbane Boys Grammar or Brisbane Boys College. Both highly regarded and fairly central.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Hi there Neil, Having previously tried 2 schools, we finally got our son into a private school on the Northside - St Pauls School at Bald Hills. Our son is 13 now and is just finishing his second year there. We cannot recommend the school highly enough, he loves school and is thriving there. Our son is quite musical and has come on leaps and bounds since starting and most importantly is very very happy.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback. Really looks as though the choice is between living "in the city" and choosing somewhere like Brisbane Grammar or living further out and going for a place like St. Pauls or Ormiston.

We will be coming out to look at Brisbane in about 10 days time for a final interview and to see if the place is as good as it looks in the photos :-). Woulod appreciate any more info you have and, hopefully, look forward to moving out in the New Year.