Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to brisbane with 3 kids

moving to brisbane with 3 kids

Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default moving to brisbane with 3 kids

Hi all,

My hubby and I are immigrating from sunny Scotland to Brisbane area hopefully by this time next year(our Visa application is in the 2nd stage whatever that is) with our 3 children, 4yrs, 2yrs and 6 months. We have been looking at suburbs and schools and was hoping to get some advice on good schools and suburbs. We like the look of the eastern subs like Bulimba and Morningside but they seem quite expensive, can anyone shed some light!

Raining in scotland - there's a surprise!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:26 am
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving to brisbane with 3 kids

Originally Posted by kerikerr
Hi all,

My hubby and I are immigrating from sunny Scotland to Brisbane area hopefully by this time next year(our Visa application is in the 2nd stage whatever that is) with our 3 children, 4yrs, 2yrs and 6 months. We have been looking at suburbs and schools and was hoping to get some advice on good schools and suburbs. We like the look of the eastern subs like Bulimba and Morningside but they seem quite expensive, can anyone shed some light!

Hi fellow scot,

We are also off to Brissie hopefully very soon (apr) with our kids, we are just waiting for our visa . We are going to stay with family in Jamboree Heights for a week or so, then when there will have a good look around and of course look for work. Have been out before but at that time wasnt really looking at the suburbs with the view to living there someday..
Good Luck
maybe see you all out there one day , that would be nice

Anne
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:57 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AVW
Hi fellow scot,

We are also off to Brissie hopefully very soon (apr) with our kids, we are just waiting for our visa . We are going to stay with family in Jamboree Heights for a week or so, then when there will have a good look around and of course look for work. Have been out before but at that time wasnt really looking at the suburbs with the view to living there someday..
Good Luck
maybe see you all out there one day , that would be nice

Anne
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi! Also in scotland just now (althou originally english ) We have applied for our visas also and hope to be heading to Brisbane once we get them. Have either of you been to one of the scotland meets? Hope we all hear soon.

Andreaxx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Hi guys
No haven't been to any of the Scotland meets, have you? There is an immigration show on in Edinburgh this weekend but unfortunately we can't go.

Well if you get to Brisbane before us keep in touch and scout out the suburbs. Have either of you looked at schools yet?

Keri
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:49 am
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of

Hi all

No never been to Scottish meet but reckon it would be nice to meet folks that are in similar positions. Cant make the immigration show either this weekend but going to the migration information day at the overseas league princess street on Monday 12.00 until 4.00 looking forward to that. Keep in touch all. Off to tidy house got visitors comin

Anne
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:52 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi,

Try www.ourbrisbane.com to get you started.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

Hi All

My husband and I and my 3 boys are also heading off for Brisbane - we have been looking at northern suburbs. Looked at the schools primarily and like the look of Bray Park, which is about 20km outside of Brisbane.

Where are you all currently in the process?

Application sent 3rd January
Acknowledged 23rd Feb
136 modl

Lia
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:37 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
No haven't been to any of the Scotland meets, have you? There is an immigration show on in Edinburgh this weekend but unfortunately we can't go. Well if you get to Brisbane before us keep in touch and scout out the suburbs. Have either of you looked at schools yet?
Keri
Have been to a few meets now! they have been a good laugh inparticular as we don't really have anybody to get excited about the move with and others who are in same position understand. It will defo be good to keep in touch. We have looked at suburbs between Brisbane and GC as think ideally we want to be somewhere inbetween.

Axx

Originally Posted by AVW
Hi all
No never been to Scottish meet but reckon it would be nice to meet folks that are in similar positions. Cant make the immigration show either this weekend but going to the migration information day at the overseas league princess street on Monday 12.00 until 4.00 looking forward to that. Keep in touch all. Off to tidy house got visitors comin
Anne
Hope monday is of use to you! we have never been to something like that but I hear there quite good. Let us know how you get on.

Axx

Originally Posted by liamcnaught
Hi All
My husband and I and my 3 boys are also heading off for Brisbane - we have been looking at northern suburbs. Looked at the schools primarily and like the look of Bray Park, which is about 20km outside of Brisbane.
Where are you all currently in the process?
Application sent 3rd January
Acknowledged 23rd Feb
136 modl
Lia
Hey Lia,

I am on the january thread to so hears hoping we hear asap! where is Bray park on the way to my geography is appalling. We are all in scotland I notice what is it thats driving us to Brisbane! could it be the weather

Axx
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: moving to brisbane with 3 kids

Hi guys,

I'm a nurse, so all my documents etc are with the ANMC, sent January,told that this stage takes 6-12 weeks, then I think it goes to DIMA(not sure how long this stage takes tho). We're going through an immigration agent so not too sure about the whole process just letting them get on with it!! I've got and interview with Queensland Health in London in a few weeks, not sure what to expect from them!:

Am excited and sh**ing myself at the same time, anyway I'm sure we're doing the right thing!

Anyway back to the topic, I've been told that state primary school is absolutely fine but it's when the kids are going into High School that many people opt for Private School, has anyone else been told this?

Kk
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys,

I'm a nurse, so all my documents etc are with the ANMC, sent January,told that this stage takes 6-12 weeks, then I think it goes to DIMA(not sure how long this stage takes tho). We're going through an immigration agent so not too sure about the whole process just letting them get on with it!! I've got and interview with Queensland Health in London in a few weeks, not sure what to expect from them!:

Am excited and sh**ing myself at the same time, anyway I'm sure we're doing the right thing!

Anyway back to the topic, I've been told that state primary school is absolutely fine but it's when the kids are going into High School that many people opt for Private School, has anyone else been told this?

Kk
Hi keri,

Yes another grey day here in scotland but never mind our thoughts are on our recci in may when we will suss brissy,GC and Sunshine coast out.

I am a nurse as well keri and my time line for the anmc was 3 months then 8 for the full visa( son required and extra medical report) but it would have been only 4 months if it was straight forward.

My question is for anybody who has info on any good colleges in these areas ,My son is 16 and will need to start college in august here. we are hoping to head out in oct for good.

Sharon
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by acbh2
Have been to a few meets now! they have been a good laugh inparticular as we don't really have anybody to get excited about the move with and others who are in same position understand. It will defo be good to keep in touch. We have looked at suburbs between Brisbane and GC as think ideally we want to be somewhere inbetween.

Axx

Hope monday is of use to you! we have never been to something like that but I hear there quite good. Let us know how you get on.

Axx

Hey Lia,

I am on the january thread to so hears hoping we hear asap! where is Bray park on the way to my geography is appalling. We are all in scotland I notice what is it thats driving us to Brisbane! could it be the weather

Axx
HI there

ITs on the way to the sunshine coast - very much north of Brisbane. Where the Bruce HIghway and Gateway meet. Its in the shire of Strathpine - near two lakes - Samsonvale and Kurwongbah. I have a really good map of Brisbane and its surrounding suburbs - not sure how to attach to you.

Lia