Reload this Page >

moving to brisbane in 12/18 months

moving to brisbane in 12/18 months

Old May 25th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

MCFCphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to brisbane in 12/18 months

evening all ,
well you have probably heard all this before but my wife and I are putting the wheels in motion to move over to australia within the next 12 to 18 months

I am 28 years old Fencer/tree surgeon and my wife 27 years old secondary school food/textiles teacher. We have two kids aged 3 and 7.

We have come to the conclusion this country doesnt have much to offer us and we really need a BIG change not only for us but the kids as well. I got offered a job in Canada 5 years ago and i turned it down and have never been forgiven!!

We have no ties over here as far as family or mortgage are concerned.

we have looked at the Brisbane area to move to but I also like the look of MacKay (i have friends there and enjoy fishing alot)

We plan on bringing over around £20,000 with us to set us up while one of us can at least find work, this is the bit that worries me most because everywhere i read how hard it is to get jobs ???

The tree surgery jobs start around $25 an hour (if i can get one) and teaching salaried around 45,000.

I eventually want to apply to Queensland police once i get permanant residency

the only part of moving is the worry of us not getting jobs and spending all our money and having to come back to the UK ?

can anyone give us any advice to set my mind at rest ?

cheers
phil
Old May 25th 2013, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to brisbane in 12/18 months

Well, not questioning the decision to move, because we all made it too. But the comment that "UK has nothing to offer" leaves me really baffled as to what you think you are going to find in Mackay that you won't find anywhere in UK. I strongly feel that life is what you make of it and you have to find your own opportunities in both countries.

The other thing that is puzzling is you say you want to apply to the police "once you get permanent residency"? It may be that you just have not looked into the visa process yet, but many of us have PR right from the start, it is not necessarily something you need to work towards. In fact in your case, I cannot imagine either of you would be able to get sponsorship, but your wife might get you the skilled migrant visa, which would give you all PR from day one.

A large number of us that took the same path, had to make the leap and find jobs when we got here. It is a situation you might find yourself in at any stage in your life and I don't think it is really any different. You are 28, you are going to find work.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Your wife beeds to register to teach before she leaves the Uk as it takes time. Firstly you need a four year bed or three year degree plus a phce. Contact the queensland register of teachers first and then education queensland. Then relief agencies such as tracer. Realistically your wife will get relief work and short contracts to begin as registration is provisional. This can be difficult to juggle with a child in daycare rather than school so that might affect your timing of a move over here. Relief teacher rate is $350 per day. Good luck :-)
Old May 26th 2013, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

But the comment that "UK has nothing to offer" leaves me really baffled as to what you think you are going to find in Mackay that you won't find anywhere in UK.
Mackay, umm not sure how many women would love it!

OP I would be looking at areas just north of brisbane, there is a stack of development approved on the north side, from train/transport links to huge retail. Places like IKEA and Costco, do their research and currently Brisbane housing is a fraction of the cost in syd/melb. Even the CBD has huge projects approved now.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:35 am
Just Joined

lovinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Come don't think we moved 4 years ago with a one year old I am 48 now and found work,we now have a three year old. We rent north of Brisbane at Scarborough in a four bed old Queensland for $360 a week, but are in the process of having a house built, there are sites like gumtree that have local jobs, hope all goes well
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

The UK has nothing to offer but Mackay does?? It's your decision, but I always worry when people move due to the "UK is awful/Oz is brilliant" argument. every country has lots of good points and lots of bad points.

Have you been to Australia & Brisbane before? I love the climate in QLD but some people (check the threads on here) just can't cope with the humidity/bugs etc there.

I can't comment on jobs as I don't know people in those professions but I'd definately try and put the wheels in motion on jobs before going. I've had skype interviews etc in the UK for jobs there. 20 grand should be ok to get you started if you really put the work in with jobs.

All the best whatever you decide on.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Don`t think anyone can put your mind at rest. We came over in Dec`08 and I started work in mid June `09. There was a job opportunity in March but the wife had to fly home briefly. Leaving me with the 2 kids, so I had to turn it down and they don`t ask you twice!. You`ll need to budget 6 to 7K pounds for the visa/flights etc if its just two of you. Its one of the most expensive parts of the world to live. I was lucky and landed on my feet work wise, Thus our quality of life at present is better than ever. If I was earning a lot more in the UK I would probably have stayed. Read from that what you will. At your age I`d say go for it, I wish I had done it sooner. I am 48 now.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mackay is one of the most expensive bits of Queensland, due to the large number of Fly-in-fly-out workers. Housing is hard to find and pricey, and according to the people I know who have lived there its not the "nicest"area to live in. Expensive with a "Queensland small town" mentallity
Also very weasther -prone - heavy rainfall, frequent floods and the occasional cyclone
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mackay is one of the most expensive bits of Queensland, due to the large number of Fly-in-fly-out workers. Housing is hard to find and pricey, and according to the people I know who have lived there its not the "nicest"area to live in. Expensive with a "Queensland small town" mentallity
Also very weasther -prone - heavy rainfall, frequent floods and the occasional cyclone
But McKay has so much more to offer than the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But McKay has so much more to offer than the UK.

Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But they never told me that in the TV programmes and on the adverts..